Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

The real vs disposable debate thread has made up my mind for me.....now I need help on which system to go for

(10 Posts)
daisyandbabybootoo Wed 04-Jul-07 10:08:25

Title says it all really.

I have a four week old DD who is currently getting through 12-16 nappies a day as she is a very pooey BF baby with constant nappy rash.

I'm disgusted by the amount of rubbish we are producing, as we had cut our household waste to one bin bag per week prior to DD being born.

I'm also annoyed that the disposable nappies always seem to leak and the additional washing that is creating (pampers are especially bad for this)

So....i need some advice on which system to use.....where i can get trial packs......what material is best.....and how many I would need, given our current disposable nappy consumption.

TIA

tokentotty Wed 04-Jul-07 10:11:04

Try here. I'm going to order the trial pack from this website that I was given on MN Starter packs

perpetuaphoenixfire Wed 04-Jul-07 10:16:27

have not read other thread so apologies if this is repeating someone, but have you checked your council for incentives? ours give a £45 voucher, some give you the nappies and you might even get your council tax reduced! (we dont). google real nappy or cloth nappy and your county, you never know!

Enid Wed 04-Jul-07 10:17:34

we use bamboozles (made from bamboo, more absorbent so a thinner nappy) with motherease wraps for night

sandys for day

all very good

Enid Wed 04-Jul-07 10:17:48

at 4wks I would use terries

hippopowell Wed 04-Jul-07 10:19:56

There are lots of website that give advice(thenappylady.co.uk kittykins.co.uk, soo many, do a google search for real nappies) Or a nappy advisor will come to your house for you to see the nappies, some will give personal advice online. Flame here will do personal advice.
HTH
yeh for cloth

Flamesparrow Wed 04-Jul-07 10:59:36

Is it worrying that I get all excited when people link to me without me nudging (I'm Bumfluff ).

If you want to email bumfluffnappies at gmail dot com, and tell me a bit about your needs (put these in order of importance: drying speed, slimness under clothes, cost, ease of use), and we can work out what would suit you best.

daisyandbabybootoo Wed 04-Jul-07 11:07:07

thanks everyone.

flamesparrow, i will e-mail you later. thanks

tokentotty Wed 04-Jul-07 13:22:22

Well I've not ordered from you yet Flame but you're not forgotten !!! Can't decide between the quick dryer starter pack or the slim fit one....sigh.... That and my purse is always on the ground floor and I'm on the computer in my converted loft !!
Still, couldn't fail to pass on your website when I found it so handy

sputnik Wed 04-Jul-07 15:49:04

Hi Daisy. Just a few random thoughts on reusables:

Don't buy too many of one kind at first til you've decided what suits you and baby Boo

don't buy too many in smallest size as they grow so fast

I used hemp boosters in a wrap when DD was very very small, seemed to work fine.

Motherease wraps are the biz

Use the disposable liners, they make the whole thing less yucky

If you use one-size you will ultimatly save money, I was using Motherease one size from around 6 months no probs.

Might think of some more later. If you want any other advice you know where to find me

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: