Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

early potty training - while out and about ...

(15 Posts)
americantrish Wed 04-Jul-07 09:54:03

we're gearing up to start next week properly, we're using those 'feel wet' nappies this week and weekend, and ds is getting used to them, not liking being wet, etc. (not asking for the potty yet.)

my question (however ignorant it is!) is:

when he is in underwear during the day, what to do when we're out and about? he isn't using a small potty (he didnt like it, we use a toilet seat insert.) - do i carry a potty? the insert? i dont think in the beginning he will be telling us when he needs to wee....but he sometimes gives us clues (like grabbing at himself.)

(this is really more so to keep getting myself ready!)

thanks in advance

BabiesEverywhere Wed 04-Jul-07 12:18:23

How old is your baby ?

We use cloth nappies as backup for long journeys outside the house and when I know I'll struggle to find a toilet (like traveling via bus) or training pants for short trips.

Some babies don't ask for the potty so it is worth using timing at first.

i.e. Offer a potty time/use of a toilet at the follow times :-

: Before you leave the house.
: After a nap
: After a nursing session or meal
: Set intervals in the middle this can vary between every 30 mins for a 3 month old baby to every 2 hours for a one year old.

You can buy travel foldable toilet seat inserts for outside the house, though Little Bjorn Toilet Seats are very popular with Ecer as the hole is smaller than normal seats better for little bottoms.

HTH

myjobismum Wed 04-Jul-07 12:24:50

sorry that confused me babieseverywhere - a 3month old baby potty training? is that possible?

BabiesEverywhere Wed 04-Jul-07 12:34:05

ECing (Elimination Communication) can be done from birth. But we only started at 10 weeks so I don't know the time intervals for weeing younger than that.

americantrish Wed 04-Jul-07 13:20:17

my son is 3.

but thanks for the tip on the foldable toilet seat insert.

hana Wed 04-Jul-07 13:21:44

not sure that there would be many people in the UK doing 'EC prior to 10 weeks

BabiesEverywhere Wed 04-Jul-07 13:42:02

-not sure that there would be many people in the UK doing 'EC prior to 10 weeks -

Not these days but two generations back it was the norm for all babies and still is all over the world.

It is estimated that 85% of todays babies don't use nappies and are Eced...isn't that amazing.

americantrish Wed 04-Jul-07 14:27:19

i've never heard of EC, but if it works for some! great!!

BabiesEverywhere Wed 04-Jul-07 15:10:20

Here is a link for a new foldable toilet insert on ebay
Link

HTH

americantrish Wed 04-Jul-07 16:51:02

excellent! that'd be exactly what we'd need, it wouldnt be practical to carry our insert seat from the house everywhere we went!

thanks

myjobismum Wed 04-Jul-07 21:03:31

hi i am really confused what this EC thing is all about - ok fair enough you may be able to catch their wee during the day, but it's not potty training surely - and what do you do at night, set the alarm for every 30mins or something? please explain, the mind boggles!

BabiesEverywhere Wed 04-Jul-07 22:08:56

You are right it is not potty training

Babies don't wee in their sleep, they only wee upon waking. If I react quickly she has a dry nappy in the morning, if I'm slow or busy , she is in a warm wet nappy, i.e. Just done

Here is a but more info EC

BabiesEverywhere Wed 04-Jul-07 22:09:33

bit not but

myjobismum Wed 04-Jul-07 22:11:36

oic - well i wont be doing EC - not because i can see anything wrong with it but my DS is now 20mths and has just begun very succesful potty training - dry all day and asking for the potty - thanks for the info though! why is my DS's nappy sodden in the morning though? he must wake many times in the night!

MARGOsBeenPlayingWithMyNooNoo Wed 04-Jul-07 22:13:44

trish - you can get those toilet seats in John Lewis (any excuse to go to Bluewater)

dd1 had been toilet training since february. I still take her out in nappies sometimes, especially if she doesn't go to the toilet before leaving the house.

I was worried that it would confuse her, but it doesn't seem to

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now