Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

anyone else been told that their little one was potty trained before 1? looolz

(18 Posts)
shabanaH Tue 03-Jul-07 11:11:42

I have recently moved back to Walsall from London. My little one has just turned 2 and not ready for potty training however in the meantime I have had so many mums look at me in shock and horror that he's not potty trained yet cos apparantly he should have been by age 1

keeleylou Tue 03-Jul-07 13:42:39

Hi, just ignore them - most children don't get any bladder control until they are atleast 18 months old. What they probably mean is their child was being placed on the potty at one but that's very different to a child actually using the potty of their own free will.

morningpaper Tue 03-Jul-07 13:44:25

Are you about 70?

I've not met ANY mothers in the flesh under 50 who have even contemplated potty training under about 2.5

belgo Tue 03-Jul-07 13:44:54

The earliest I've seen is 14 months, but there is a huge variation amoung children. Like with all aspects of development.

mslucy Tue 03-Jul-07 13:45:31

most kids are potty trained between 2 and 3.

girls earlier than boys.

ds (2 yrs 1 mth) will sometimes wee in potty and thinks its a huge laugh - sometimes he just can't be bothered with it.

One solution is to get them to go commando, but this quite frankly terrifies me.

It will happen - I mean how many schoolkids do you see in nappies?

belgo Tue 03-Jul-07 13:46:25

mp - it seems the fashion to wait as long as possible.

I know a lot of mothers who start potty training from under the age of one, but none of them are english.

BabiesEverywhere Tue 03-Jul-07 13:47:58

Erm, babies DO have bladder control and if given the option will wait to use the potty of their own free will.

My baby has since she was 10 weeks old, but she is not potty trained, she is ECed. No pressure from me, all done at her pace as my DD wishes. She crawls to the potty to be lifted on and grunts before a poo and activelly prefers to use a potty rather than her nappy.

belgo Tue 03-Jul-07 13:51:27

babieseverywhere - agree totally. It's amazing to see.

But I suppose disposible nappies are so easy to use, and people don't like cleaning up the occasional accident (especially if they have carpets), that they wait until fairly late.

BabiesEverywhere Tue 03-Jul-07 14:00:23

With back up cloth nappies and training pants there is no mess on the floor. In fact I give DD bare bottom time after she has done a wee and this way I have not had a wee on the floor yet.

BTW I am English and under 70 years old

belgo Tue 03-Jul-07 14:07:36

I do think it's a bit of a conspiracy by nappy companies to make us believe that potty training before the age of two or three not only is impossible, but will cause no end of problems if you attempt to potty train too early.

BabiesEverywhere Tue 03-Jul-07 14:34:59

It is documented as a scam...the ONLY study which looked at bladder control in babies, was financed by Pampers (a few decades ago) and the doctor running the study was also employed by Pampers.

What a surprise the outcome of the study backed up the nappy company.

Interesting the same doctor recently backtracked and said there was no physically reason that an baby under 1 years old could not be 'potty trained', so even that one study is now useless.

belgo Tue 03-Jul-07 14:46:07

that's very interesting babies everywhere.

I never tried to potty train dd1 until she was nearly two, even though at the age of 21 months she spontaneously used the potty when she happened to see it. It just never occurred to me that she would be ready before - everything I had read says the age of two.

I was more open minded with dd2, and she potty trained herself at the age of 18 months, within two weeks.

Belgianchox Tue 03-Jul-07 15:12:05

I wonder about the babies that train themselves - what does this actually mean? That they ask for the potty before its offered? I have just potty trained my DD, 2.4, having tried at repeated intervals since she was 18mths, and i seriously don't think she was physically ready before she was 2 with hindsight (wonderful thing i know). I don;t think she would have had the slightest inclination to just do it herself had i not taken the plunge and got rid of nappies outside of nap and nighttimes.Interested in the idea though as i have DS (1yr) and would love to see him train himself.

belgo Tue 03-Jul-07 15:18:13

belgian chox - I mean she pointed at her bottom, said 'kaka' (poo) and walked towards the potty that she's seen her sister use. I pulled down her trousers, put her on the potty, and the result was wee. She had a couple of accidents a day for about two weeks, but mostly she's been great.

She very regularly saw her sister use the potty, ao you could say that her three year old sister trained her!

Belgianchox Tue 03-Jul-07 15:48:08

aha, well fingers crossed for my DS then!

byroadorbyriver Tue 03-Jul-07 17:48:24

In some countries they don't use nappies, and some just not very often. They work out when a child needs the loo, after takes a few days but you work it out eventually, so say just after a feed or when the child wakes up, then you give a audio cue i.e. "ppshhhhhhttt" and hold the child over a bowl/toilet/pottie, you tune in quickly to your baby. If you have the time and the patience, it can work very well. From what Ive read, Wetting your self / soiling your self, is a learned behauviour. You just have to relise your working iwth a MUCH smaller bladder/muscles. As with any behaviour if you've done it for 2 years (all your life!) it takes a while to get out off.

Alternitivly, Some parents in the uk/usa that do this (over here its called Elimination communication) they do that at home, but when traveling / shopping they use a nappy.

spacegrantham Fri 06-Jul-07 01:25:04

Dh and Sil were dry by one , mil got a book out of the library in the 70's.

We part time ec'd ds and he was dry at home during the day at 20 mnths just took me a little bit longer to bite the bullet and take him out in pants , we have had hardly any pooey nappies since 9 mnths.

Kim

barnstaple Fri 06-Jul-07 01:40:59

According to MIL my DH and SIL were both potty trained (poo and wee, night and day) at about 9m. Neither of them ever had a tantrum either. Apparently.

Having been told this, I asked whether they managed to take themselves to the loo during the night - how did they get out of their cots? MIL replied that it was lovely to see the flowers looking so pretty.

According to my aunt, my cousin could speak in complete sentences when he was 6m.

You know rather better than anyone when your child is ready for potty training. Don't be nagged.

And my MIL is an idiot with the memory of a rather stupid fish. My aunt is mad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now