Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Sore bum on 2 week old - what to use?

(13 Posts)
bumperlicious Mon 02-Jul-07 11:06:43

Hi

My two week old has a sore bottom, and is a little bit sore in her creases (inadequate changing by new parents !) What can I put on it? I have sudocreme which I am loathe to use. Any other solutions? I have some Burt's Bees talc free powder which my mum insisted on buying, would anyone recommend using that to prevent further soreness?

ProjectIcarus Mon 02-Jul-07 11:09:52

camomile tea in the top and tail bowl. Are you using water and cotton wool?

It might be you need to use a muslin to really dry all the creases after wiping?

Chattyhan Mon 02-Jul-07 11:10:37

I use bepanthen ointment on my dc and it usually only takes a couple of applications to clear up. For your lo i would recommend popping into a pharmacy and asking advice for something gentle. When changing clean with cotton wool and boiled water and dry her off with cotton wool too. Hope it helps xx

MrsPuddleduck Mon 02-Jul-07 11:12:04

Put something on to heal the rash eg metonium or bepanthen and then lard a load of vaseline over the top to create a barrier.

My ds2 had the nappy rash from hell as a baby due to incorrect diagnosis and treament of thrush. I swear by vaseline because if you put enough on nothing can get to the skin and it gives it a proper rest so to speak.

Chattyhan Mon 02-Jul-07 11:12:07

snap on the drying off projecticarus! Never heard of camomile tea being used this way? Wow i learn something every day!

eidsvold Mon 02-Jul-07 11:16:54

as someone else said - really dry the creases and I have also used this

here

I know you can buy it online in the UK - I only buy the tube as it works really well and you only need a little bit.

so it heals it and protects - have used it on all my three - including dd3 who is just 12 weeks old.

moopymoo Mon 02-Jul-07 11:20:03

though i never really liked using 'unnatural' stuff on mine when so small, i do swear by metanium - its amazing and seems to grow a new skin overnight.

bumperlicious Mon 02-Jul-07 11:57:02

I've got some calendula cream and calendula tea which I had for a bout of thrush just before I gave birth - would either of those do any good?

SoupDragon Mon 02-Jul-07 11:57:40

If you've got Kamillosan or Lansinoh from breastfeeding they both work well.

TooTicky Mon 02-Jul-07 11:58:24

Tui Bee Balme is fantastic.

flibbertyjibbet Mon 02-Jul-07 12:10:37

Yes the camomile tea has worked every time for us too. And bog standard zinc and castor oil cream.

bumperlicious Mon 02-Jul-07 12:49:35

Ok, DH is under orders to get some metanium and camomile tea on his lunch break. In the meantime we are going to have some naked time on the changing mat and stick some lansinoh on her. Thanks for all the tips and links.

MrsWaggsnapps Mon 02-Jul-07 20:01:09

chamomile tea here too, brew it strong and let it cool (obviously), I used to store it in an Avent bottle. You can also soak a cloth in it (say a cotton hanky or similar) and put it in the nappy as a liner (works for both dispoables and washables). You might get a yelp at first but it soon warms to body temp. and does wonders for the skin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now