Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

what age dry at night

(21 Posts)
Babyramone Sun 01-Jul-07 22:19:55

My ds is 3.8 and is showing no sign of being ready of coming off his night nappies. He has been trained day time for a year and that was a struggle.
Iam not overly concerned but it seems that most of the other kids we know were dry at night not long after daytime some as early as 15-18 months.
We are still getting significantly wet nappies in morning (PULL UPS) even though he's encouraged gently to use toilet.
The 1st thing he does in morning is take off nappy and do toilet in loo.
Iam just posting to see roughly when others children were night dry to reassure myself (and shut the odd snidey comment up)

fannyannie Sun 01-Jul-07 22:21:11

DS1 will be 7 in September and isn't dry yet, DS2 will be 4 in November and isn't dry - don't worry about it - not considerd a "problem" until they're 7 or 8yrs old.

Hulababy Sun 01-Jul-07 22:22:23

DD is 5y2m and only in the last month has been entirely dry at night. She was dry during the day at 24 months, which was a very simple task for us.

We did discover over the past year that DD will wet if she has drank anything other than water after about 3pm. Just water and she was fine.

Babyramone Sun 01-Jul-07 22:25:44

thanks for quick responses.
You've both reassured me. Madly it seems to be one of those things some mothers equate with great intelligence

MrsScavo Sun 01-Jul-07 22:26:12

DS1 was 7.5. I think DS2 was 3.(I was very impressed he was so young) DD didn't want to wear pull ups tonight (although I insisted). She's been out of nappies for 1 week and is almost 2.She was dry last night. I would imagine 4 is 'normal'

MrsScavo Sun 01-Jul-07 22:26:44

It has NOTHING to do with intelligence!!!!!!!!!!!!

LyraB Sun 01-Jul-07 22:26:55

ds1 - nearly 3
ds2 - 2.3

Hulababy Sun 01-Jul-07 22:27:04

Has nothing to do with DD's intelligence. She is, according to her teacher, a very bright and alrt youn girl who is making great pregress at school. She was just unable to control her bladder when she was asleep. I think the non-water liquids irrated her bladder too much.

roisin Sun 01-Jul-07 22:29:33

DS1 was dry during the day at 24 months, not dry at night until he was 5 y.o. It happened literally overnight though - from sopping wet to bone dry.

DS2 was nearly 6.5 before he cracked it.

MrsSpoon Sun 01-Jul-07 22:32:43

My DS1 is 8.5 and has been dry for significant periods lately (with odd wetting incidents in between) with the aid of a bed-wetting alarm. DS2 is 5 and showing absolutely no signs of being dry.

Sympathies, especially dealing with the comments of others, I find/found the comments of other parents on this subject infuriating at times. TBH, as time went on I tried not to mention that DS1 was still wet at night, unless I was speaking to someone I knew really well and was pretty sure what their reaction would be.

binkleandflip Sun 01-Jul-07 22:33:36

daughter was three

hana Sun 01-Jul-07 22:36:01

dd was 3.5

LyraB Sun 01-Jul-07 22:37:12

Binkle, have you finished your college work?

kittywits Sun 01-Jul-07 22:37:23

dd2 has just night trained herself and she will be 4 in September.
The others were from 2.5 to 3.5

kittywits Sun 01-Jul-07 22:39:41

Also what dd did firstly was become aware that she was wetting and would take the nappy off in the morning. The next stage was becoming aware at night and she would take the wet nappy off and get back into bed but then wet the bed. Now she manages to use the potty/toilet in the night and has asked to be nappy free.

MrsScavo Sun 01-Jul-07 22:44:57

It is nobody elses buisness whether your child is dry at night or not. As long as you have a waterproof sheet on the bed, and make sure your DS goes for a wee last thing at night, just change any wet sheets without saying anything to him, when/ if you do take him out of pull ups.. You may get to the point where you ask him not to wee in the bed (amazingly this can work), but 3.8 is still very young. You may find, in the future, that your DS is weeing in pull ups, first thing in the morning, before he's properly awake, if he's a heavy sleeper. DS2 who was 'dry' at 3, still comes into our bed and wees in it, rather than finding to the loo! Please don't worry about keeping your DS in pull ups, as long as he's happy to wear them.

Quattrocento Sun 01-Jul-07 22:45:35

DD - 2.5
DS - 3.0

Tommy Sun 01-Jul-07 23:03:40

DS1 is 5.6 and "the cleverest one in his class" (so he tells me - although, to be fair, I think it is true) still wears pullups at night which are always soaked n the morning

DS2 is 3.10 and has been dry at night for a few months.

My MIL worries about DS1 because her other grandson who is the same age has been dry for a couple of years.

We're not worried by it at all

fannyannie Sun 01-Jul-07 23:43:56

oh and then of course you get my SIL's little girl who was dry, day and night in the space of 3 weeks at just 20 months (but she still doesn't sleep through the night properly )

MrsSpoon Mon 02-Jul-07 00:24:59

fannieannie's comment has reminded me, the Enurisis nurse that DS1 saw said that deep sleepers were more likely to wet the bed. Our house could blow up and DS1 would still sleep through.

Clary Mon 02-Jul-07 00:50:55

babyramone, DS1 was 4 and a bit before he got 5 nights in a row. Daytime dryness was tricky for him too.

DD dry day and night within months, at about 2.5/2.75 yrs.

DS2 dry day at 23mo, but only just this last few weeks (he's 4 now) dry in the night, just the odd accident about once a week now.

See they are all very differnt and also I believe as Hula suggests it's nothing to do with daytime dryness either.

The drink thing is worth trying tho - plenty of water (and milk too?) but no squash/juice/esp blackcurrant in the pm.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: