Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Nature babycare disposible nappies??

(14 Posts)
yummymummy06 Fri 29-Jun-07 22:12:49

I have just brought a packet of these whilst waiting for the delivery of some cloth nappies. Are they good for the environment? Surely they must be better than the regular disposibles?

pamplemousse Fri 29-Jun-07 22:29:40

Apparently ( I buy them too so am peed off about this!) they don't biodegrade as household waste sites are not allowed to become hot enough for them to decompose. On the upside they have no weird chemicals and plastics in so your baby's bum isn't exposed to all that...
All in all I would much rather buy these than normal disposables...

derah Fri 29-Jun-07 22:46:17

Well, if regular nappies take hundreds of years to degrade, and these ones get there a little quicker, then that can only be a good thing. And I agree with pamplemousse that they mean fewer nasty chemicals against baby's skin. No-one can use cloth all the time, it just isn't always practical. Sometime you're going on an aeroplane or camping to a site with no washing facilities etc. To my mind, this is what disposables were invented for. I use paper plates when on a picnic but certainly not for everday use. Same with nappies! So when I do need to use sposies I use Nature too - they're the most convenient and cheapest eco-friendly-ish nappy around, and I love the rest of their range too! I use their wipes, their nappy sacks, disposable bibs, even panty liners......

derah Fri 29-Jun-07 22:46:52

PS - I compost the wipes, nappy sacks etc but sadly that's not an option for the nappies.

jaz2 Fri 29-Jun-07 22:58:27

I've been using them for my DS, and think they are great, though maybe not as able to cope with humungous pre-weaning poos! Also, I like the fact that not only are they free from chemicals, but also the pattern on them is free from ghastly disney-type pictures. Though clearly my nappy buying habits may change when DS is able to state a preference!

KittenKat Fri 29-Jun-07 23:04:47

I have also heard they do not biodegrade quickly, but they do biodegrade more quickly than normal disposables. However, remember that if you put them in normal plastic nappy bags, or straight into unbiodegradable binbags, they are rendered unbiodegradable.

I use them. At the very least they dont have chemicals as other brands do. I used Huggies on DD last week for one day, emergency situation, and she came up in a horrid rash!

BirdyArms Fri 29-Jun-07 23:05:10

I use them. I know they're probably not that much better for the environment than using normal disposables but they make me feel like I'm trying. Friends have said that they badly chafe their babies' legs but have never had any problms. Now using their pull-ups which are great.

KittenKat Fri 29-Jun-07 23:06:49

Birdy - pull-ups . Where do you get them? The only place I can find to sell even the normal nappies is Sainsbury's. Which is bad, as it means I generally buy everything else there, as I got to go there anyway .

cupcakes Sat 30-Jun-07 08:54:03

here is their site

it doesn't tell you much that you can't read on the packet anyhow.

I buy them from Waitrose although I haven't noticed if they stock the pull ups.

nearlythere Sat 30-Jun-07 11:23:47

derah- i'm proud to say none of my lot have EVER had a sposie on! Cloth from day one! i can be done!

ShinyNewShoes Sat 30-Jun-07 11:28:04

We used the Nature ones on DD when she wasn't in a washable. Have to say that for DS we much prefer the 'Bambo Nature' ones, which we get from Spirit of NAture. The tabs on the Nature ones used to dig into DS's legs, and the Junior size are not very big. Bambo do pull-ups too, although we've never tried them.

thefizzyone Sat 30-Jun-07 15:20:07

I use Nature Baby Nappies as a night-time nappy for my 3 1/2 year old who is STILL IN NAPPIES *clenched teeth*

And I must say they do the job very well, without exploding Sci-fi horror goo 12 hours and a gallon of wee later, as other brands are wont to do.

Information is sketchy as to their level of biodegradability, but the fact is that they do not use plastics in their manufacture which has to be a good thing.

Coupled with the lack of chemicals, I think Nature Babycare are a good, affordable option for parents who don't feel able to use Cloth nappies full time or run to Moltex.

BirdyArms Mon 02-Jul-07 11:51:16

Sorry KittenKat, have been away for the weekend. Pull-ups from Waitrose. They don't always have them in though so I snap them up when they do.

yummymummy06 Mon 02-Jul-07 21:11:53

Well I have been using nature baby for the past few days and DD bum has not been sore and in pampers she was always sore! I was throwing them out in a regular nappy bag and then into the bin but did wonder if this was the right way. How am I supposed to dispose of them? Will buy some nature nappy sacks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: