Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Large nappy pins

(20 Posts)
Dodaday Mon 25-Jun-07 12:16:14

Can someone please tell where I can get those much larger than normal nappy pins for use with bigger toddler size terry nappies. Someone did mention it on a thread some months ago, but I have forgotten.

chatelskier Mon 25-Jun-07 17:07:37

Have you tried nappy nippas?

Dodaday Mon 25-Jun-07 18:55:21

Yes, but they are no good on a large wrigling toddler. You need two pins, one each side of the nappy!

toastee Sat 30-Jun-07 13:40:29

Like you I found nippas useless on a large wriggling todder wearing the larger terry squares so I also use pins.

I spent ages trying to find the large ones but have had no luck although an assistant at Boots said they used to stock them years ago when they sold larger 'overnight' terries.

If you can get hold of some old fashioned metal topped pins they are a great improvement on the cheaper ones sold today, and go through the material far easier ( a must if you have a wriggler ).

Lets face it hardly anyone uses nappy pins these days so finding good ones wont be easy.

Best of luck !

UniSarah Sat 30-Jun-07 14:54:58

tip to get pins through fabric easily, wipe sharp bit of pin through greasy hair 1st, seems to work!
I got nappy pins at boots last month, but not sure if you mean VERY big ones, these are about 4.5cm long.

toastee Sun 01-Jul-07 13:25:49

Hi,

Passing pins through the hair does certainly help as does storing them in a bar of soap, both are worth a try by any one who still uses them.

The pins I have are about the same size as the ones you have Sarah but I'm told a few years ago it was possible to buy slightly larger ones to use on thicker toddler sized terries.

You'll find if you ever try larger nappies or use 2 standard ones at once (like I sometimes do) that although ordinary ones work they can be a struggle to get through the fabric if you have an older child who doesnt always lie still

Thanks

Dodaday Mon 02-Jul-07 10:16:35

Oh, are you saying Boots don't sell those larger toddler size nappies anymore? I need to buy some more for DS2 as the old ones are wearing a bit thin. Any suggestions? On another matter, I have always used Boots pull on plastic pants over terry nappies, as they are cheap and cheerful, and work very well, at least for me, but I was wondering where I could get some better quality ones for best, if anyone has any ideas? I don't like what everyone now calls wraps with velcro or popper fastenings, because from my experience they tend to leak, and DS1 had a habit of undoing them.

toastee Sat 14-Jul-07 16:45:54

Boots no longer sell the large terry squares but they are easy to buy online and are great for older toddlers and for overnight use.

FlameDelacour Sat 14-Jul-07 18:36:42

The little ewe ones are 60x60 and are goooooooooorgeous (so much nicer than the boots ones). Not sure if they are big enough though.

No help for pins though.

Dodaday Sat 21-Jul-07 10:53:26

As an afterthought, take care about wiping sharp bit of nappy pin through hair. My DH nearly put his eye out this morning! Better sticking them in a bar of soap.

toastee Wed 25-Jul-07 18:31:44

Ouch !!!! i bet that could have been nasty.

I prefer the bar of soap to be honest, we have a few pins so when i change my son i replace the pins with 2 ive previously stored in the soap.

I know its not a good idea but I then hold the open pins in my mouth while I put the clean nappy on then pin the side furthest from me first, do the same on closest side and finally refasten the first pin a bit tighter. It sounds a faff on but i can easily do it on my wriggly 4 yr old in no time and believe me he can squirm sometimes ar the mere sight of a nappy pin !!

Dodaday Fri 27-Jul-07 18:13:28

Yes, I always do the same. It's always a good idea to refasten the first pin, so as to get a nice snug fit. What sort of wraps/plastic pants do you use?

toastee Tue 18-Sep-07 17:14:47

I finally managed get 4 of the larger nappy pins by accident in a local charity shop.

They are a great improvement on normal ones, I tried them almost straight away in town as soon as DS needed changing and was amazed how much easier they go through the terry. At 4 yrs old mine wears either 2 standard squares at once or 1 todder square and today even pinning 2 nappies at once on a squirming 4yr old was easy !

As for the pants Dodaday I just use simple pull on plastic pants in XL size from a local chemist.

SAHMof1 Thu 20-Sep-07 13:05:04

Dodaday, Quick google on ‘pull on nappy wraps’ brought up RebsTieDye, Bummis Whisper Pant, Sam-I-Am Waterproof Pants and Disana Pull On Microfibre Pants. I was interested myself. And out of curiosity what brand and what fastening did you use on the wraps you tried. As a nappy agent, it helps to point out all the pros and cons!

Ariela Thu 20-Sep-07 21:45:29

Twinkle have the bigger curved nappy pins with the metal head, as well as larger terries (70 or 75cm rather than the more usual 60cm) and they sell quite a few different brands of pull up nappy covers

Dodaday Sat 22-Sep-07 07:44:36

Thanks Ariela and SAHMof1. The nappy pins on the Twinkle site are Prym traditional ones, and I'm not sure how big they are. The large ones I wanted are about 7cm long. I could not see the larger 75cm terry nappies you mentioned Ariela. The Disana pull-on waterproof pants look to be of good quality, but I'm not very good on sizes. Would the large 98/100 be ok for a chunky getting on for 4 year old? SAHMof1, the pants I've been using up until now are the simple pull-on plastic type, which I get from Boots or another local chemist. I much prefer the pull-on type, because those with velcro or poppers fastenings tend to leak, and DS1 has a habit of undoing them.

Dodaday Wed 10-Oct-07 14:38:44

I've found that "Drylife" sell large nappy pins on their web.

Huggies4me Wed 19-Oct-11 12:04:50

I know it might be a normal place to look but i found some large pins from cosyndry.

cosyndry.com/products/3-baby-style-nappy-pins

My girl still wets the bed at night and being a real nappy supporter i have contiuned to use terry nappies at night on her which i also got from cosyndry because she is to big for baby nappies now. these pins hold any size nappy so make it better than the pins coming loose at night or bending which happened before i got them.

i kind of found it by chance.

Huggies4me Wed 19-Oct-11 12:05:38

should have been might not be a normal place to look

Franchini Wed 19-Oct-11 12:13:47

http://www.terrynappies.co.uk/nappy-pins-pack-p-116.html?osCsid=vdt6tpmj9153v5u011om4itol6

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: