Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Nappy changing wars!

(39 Posts)
pamplemousse Fri 22-Jun-07 21:18:12

Heellllp
My DD has had appaling anppy rash which I have to apply powder, hydrocortisone then vaseline for, it almost goes then returns again, its driving me INSANE! But anyway as she has some stinging when I wash her and apply all the potions she is wriggling away and its becoming impossible to change her. She turns over and wipes all the carefully applied layers of cream off and screams when I turn her back to reapply, lift her to put nappy underneath.
It is totally doing my head in and I have to change her really often to try and get rid of the sodding nappy rash.
Any ideas? I have tried putting her up against the side of the bath panel (change her on the floor as she would fall off anything she is so wriggly) to stop her rolling, it just seems to rile her more, have tried 'special' toys, singing her favourite songs etc etc and nothing works,
help please...
*slumps pathetically*

CarGirl Fri 22-Jun-07 21:20:02

how old is she? could you bribe her with <<<<chocolate>>>>>>>> also have you tried other nappy rash treatments the best I've ever used is "sprilon" spray which is for bed sores and you spray it on and it is fantastic and less painful for them.

aviatrix Fri 22-Jun-07 21:28:31

Message withdrawn

melfi Fri 22-Jun-07 21:36:11

have you tried lansinoh nipple cream? Worked an absolute treat on my baby's bottom!

pamplemousse Fri 22-Jun-07 21:43:18

She is 7mo... rice cakes are her main bribe, will try it, but it hurts her so she gets distracted and techty (that is so not how you spell what I am trying to say!)
Am not happy using hydrocortisone tbh. She has a slightly raised red patch which is from touching the wee area ie it isn't in the creases at all. This was covered with little dots which doc said was thrush - hence powder stuff Daktarin for Athletes foot apparently. The angry sore red spots went after a few days but the patch of redness hasn't gone for months poor chicken, I feel so so bad about it, I have tried everything - changing to disposables, changing washing powder, adding vinegar to neutralise washing powder, about 4 million creams and stuff
Where do you get sprilon from? Ooh have a whole tube of Lanisoh left, good plan!! Will try it...

morocco Fri 22-Jun-07 21:44:46

have you checked it's not thrush? looks like lots of little pimply red spots if I remember right? and doesn't go away with nappy creams or hydrocortisone
otherwise, could it be a reaction to the nappies you're using/cream in them?
going commando on a sunny day?

Waswondering Fri 22-Jun-07 21:45:48

My hv prescribed me canesten cream for dd's thrush -

I would get some cream rather than powder and try that. If it's thrush that will clear it. If it's still red try metanium - amazing stuff.

Best thing though is plain soap and water then let her roll around with nappy free time for a good half hour to let the skin get dry. Good luck! It's horrible!

morocco Fri 22-Jun-07 21:45:50

oops, x posts
hmm, what does gp say about red patch? is it pos it is still the thrush and a different thrush cream might help?

CarGirl Fri 22-Jun-07 21:46:52

you can buy sprilon from a pharmacy although they may have to order it in, it's about £7 I've got it on pescription before. I wonder if your dd no longer has thrush and therefore you would be better stopping the powder etc etc and trying some diff treatments. Have you been back to the dr? One of mine was allergic to the various normal creams like aqueos etc. You could ask to try a very short course of steroid/anti-bac and fnugal all in one type cream. We have some yellow stuff that was fab when nothing else worked?

CarGirl Fri 22-Jun-07 21:48:52

forgot to say "sprilon" is the brand name it is something like dimethicone spray, I think it is good because it is very light and still lets the skin breathe and of course it was designed to prevent bed sores coming into contact with urine and faeces (sp). I assume you are just using cotton wool and water to clean her up no horrid wipes?

pamplemousse Fri 22-Jun-07 22:06:13

Yep just water and no nappy is very tricky now the thrush has returned cos she scratches it
Will prob go back to doc, but is SUCH a pita, you have to queue for half an hour on monday am at 8am to get an appt for later in the day - means trekking down there twice, so so silly. Still if it will help i'll do it obviously. Never really been to docs myself so am a bit lost in this dept!!
Have some Canesten too, its 2% cream, shall i try that? Its such a shame, cos I have to try stuff and give it time to take effect and all the time I am trying stuff she is suffering
Anymore ideas on how to keep her still? Surely I am not alone in having a wriggly lo?!

aviatrix Fri 22-Jun-07 22:13:01

Message withdrawn

aviatrix Fri 22-Jun-07 22:13:56

Message withdrawn

CarGirl Fri 22-Jun-07 22:14:51

yep if you've been using HC then you need to try a completely diff tac - I'm sure that yellow stuff we were given must have been anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.

pamplemousse Fri 22-Jun-07 22:25:52

I'm not happy using HC either Did try using Nature babies for a week and it made no difference, do Perfectly Happy People one way liners not have the same action? Problem with disps seems to be as the rash has spread onto her thigh tops slightly - disps fit more snugly and chafe on that bit.
Oh its really peeing me off! Will go back to doc and see what she says re HC I guess, although she seems of the opinion that it would prob take 2 weeks to clear and if I needed more to let her know, I really don't want to be using it for that long...

aviatrix Fri 22-Jun-07 22:37:02

Message withdrawn

lorisparkle Fri 22-Jun-07 22:41:44

My lo has an exceptionally sensitive bottom. Definately affected by wet wipes, I think it is worse if I have eaten anything spicy (i'm bf BTW!), and definately if he has been eating rasberries and blackberries. Have you considered the affect of diet, it took us months to work out what was affecting our DS.

I also can really understand the 'nappy wars'. Although not very pleasant someone suggested sitting with your leg over the top of them to stop them rolling over. This means that you have two hands free and can get the nappy change over as quick as possible. I never had to resort to it as my lo now likes 'naughty' things to play with such as empty vaseline jars, lids of deodrant, empty toothpaste tubes, etc! Weird hey!

it really does get you down so hope the Dr can help more

morocco Fri 22-Jun-07 22:46:46

there's also walk in clinics and hv's who might be able to prescribe? it'll prob be something like canestan but prob better not to use til then.
i'd also give the washables a miss for a while or they might be reinfecting her, i'm not sure if 60 is a high enough temp to kill the fungi

pamplemousse Fri 22-Jun-07 22:46:47

Lol at Loris - dd is allowed the vaseline tub, the disp nappies plastic wrapper (don't tell hv!!), a piece of cardboard etc etc! Naughty things do do the trick but not for long enough to wash dry apply 3 different products and put a nappy on. Will try leg trick, its not going to be forever! Thabks for that idea
Aviatrix will get a bigger size to allow for airflow and give them another go, thabk you, will also go to doc and say HC not working.

pamplemousse Fri 22-Jun-07 23:11:43

Also what do you think about trying fleece liners? They are meant to be better??

bobsmum Fri 22-Jun-07 23:16:18

PM = I use raw silk liners when dd has bad rash. I have no idea how they work, but they do dramatically improve it. I think the silk is antibacterial?

I got mine off ebay, but thye are also here scroll down to bourette silk liners.

It says to hand wash, but mine have been fine with the nappies.

aviatrix Sat 23-Jun-07 08:31:02

Message withdrawn

SpacePuppy Sat 23-Jun-07 08:47:32

When I was given hydrocortisone by gp, he explicitly warned me not to apply under nappy area where it will get damp and hot!
It also says so on the leaflet in the packaging.

Ds went through a phase where he would not lie down for a nappy change and it went on for about 4 months, it started around the time he started walking. We changed to pull ups for that time and it worked fine.

pamplemousse Sat 23-Jun-07 23:00:55

Just ordered some silk liners. Its actually looking a lot better since stopping with the cocktail of stuff I was using, am using a lavender nappy rash stuff the name of which I can't remember but the eczema one helped dd immensely. Its not got weird chemicals in it either. What do you think about creams etc and silk liners, would something with for example olive oil, hemp oils etc etc gum up the liners? What to use instead?
For now am sticking with fleece liners as they do seem to allow the area to remain drier and nappy free time as often as possible. Thanks a lot for the advise so far
Spacepuppy I am using reusable nappies mainly, but am getting faster!! Good idea with the Pull Ups tho

bobsmum Mon 25-Jun-07 13:01:35

PM - I've had no problems with using cream and the silk liners. I've only got 3/4 silk liners so I've saved them til bed time when dd is unlikely to poo and so will have a whole night with the silk next to her bottom.

Not sure if you've tried Metanium cream for nappy rash - foul and yellow - comes in purple packaging, but it's always cleared up the worst - even when it gets to that raw bleeding stage

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now