Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Range of movements restricted by nappies - any ideas?

(16 Posts)
jeanjeannie Fri 22-Jun-07 10:11:38

Met up with a group of mums and babies yesterday and I had my suspiscions confirmed....that my little dd (8 months but was a small 6 weeks early pre-term) really doesnt move much . She just cant lean forward at all - stops reaching out to grab things and when shes on her back wont kick her legs up. She also just cant sit up and I noticed the other babies (all younger) were streets ahead. Now I know all babies develop differently and we see a consultant as she was pre-term and development is normal but I can see dd suddenly struggling. One mum suggested that the nappy was restricting her - like a huge belt - to which I poo pooed the idea -I LOVE my nappies. But i got home and popped her into a disposable - the difference was amazing! She was confident - sitting up leaning to grap things and not throwing her arms back as if to save herself falling forward. Im gutted any ideas on a slim nappy - that actully works..??

morocco Fri 22-Jun-07 10:14:05

slightly flippantly, I love my nappies for precisely that reason, dd can't roll over with it on yet,great . what are you using at the moment

kreamkrackers Fri 22-Jun-07 10:17:07

wow mine was a totally opposite experience, dd2 couldn't do much but swopped her over to resuables (bambineos) and she suddenly came on. she's now crawling around and is forever trying to get away when we're getting her changed.

jeanjeannie Fri 22-Jun-07 10:23:42

KreamKrackers - Im using Motherease - One Life and some Swaddlebees pockets (when I can be bothered to keep changing them cos of the leaks!) Yeah I suppose I should look on the bright side - I dont have to worry about her making a run for it

accessorizewithbabysick Fri 22-Jun-07 10:25:05

I think it really depends on the nappy+wrap combo. I can see the difference between certain types on ds already (he's 6.5 mos) - airflows seem to allow him more freedom. I'm quite keen on the wonderoo (trying to buy some more) for this reason.

JoyS Fri 22-Jun-07 11:08:12

It might be the combination of clothes over nappy that's restricting her. I find that if my DD is trouserless or in leggings she moves easily but as soon as she's in jeans with a cloth nappy she has trouble.

bookthief Fri 22-Jun-07 11:10:36

Are you folding down the top? I find that sometimes if the nappy sits too high up on ds's stomach it can stop him bending so much. Even though he's 7 months I'm still folding the front down before fastening on my Bambineos and MEOs.

growingbagpuss Fri 22-Jun-07 11:17:00

It sounds like she might be a bit small for the motherease - I know someone at my local cloth nappy group who has exactly the same problem - a small girl who finds the tops of the motherease simiply too bulky.

Not sure what to suggest - have you trie contacting the agent who sold them to you in the first place?

If you are prepared to shell out - the bambino mios are less bulky, and I used mine up to about 11 months, when DS started crawling - but he was fat, so i think they work better on little babes.

where are you based> I'm in Kent and have a v good nappy salesperson I could recommend...

jeanjeannie Fri 22-Jun-07 15:32:03

Cheers for all your thoughts - I've just looked up Wonderoo nappies - they look like they might be worth a shot. I do still turn the tops down - but looking at her now - I think they're still too bulky.

I'll also check out the Bambino Mios too...might as well add to my ever-growing collection of nappies in the hope that something will work

accessorizewithbabysick Fri 22-Jun-07 21:01:31

jj, maybe trial several pockets from kittykins or such like? Eg. wonderoo, mommy's touch, peapod, happy heinys...Swaddlebees pockets look great and I was impressed but they always always leak! Or what about a kiwi quick flip lite, meant to be v.slim but absorbant? Flame's selling them.

claireybee Sat 30-Jun-07 12:47:21

Ok, my dd was just sitting up when i put her into cloth full time and it took her a few days to adjust to sitting up in cloth. But i have to say she has always sat up much straighter than her disposable wearing friends who seem to slump forwards! Is your dd in size 2 nappies? I noticed that my dd got a lot more agile as she grew into the nappies a bit more. Also nippa is less bulky across the tummy than velcro imo. I was worried when i first put her in the cloth and she seemed to regress but it didnt take her long to get the hang of it and then she was crawling at 7 months and walking unaided at 11 months so i dont think washables can hinder their movements. Try bambineos or kissaluvs-they were the best on my dd when she was smaller. Um, also try to avoid velcro on velcro, so if using a velcro nappy use a popper wrap.

derah Sat 30-Jun-07 12:58:27

Have you got aplix nappies and wraps by any chance? Two layers of aplix make for a very stiff band across the tum, so nippas and/or poppers might help. I'd second the idea that clothes might be too tight over cloth nappies for free movement.

Hope you find a combination that lets your lo move more easily.

Jojay Sat 30-Jun-07 12:59:49

My ds is 7 months and sat up at 6 months - he found it really difficult in a Bamboozle and wrap, but was fine in pocket nappies or disposables. A friend had the same problem with Fluffles. I only use nappies with a seperate wrap at night now, for that very reason.

Flamesparrow Sat 30-Jun-07 15:02:05

Something slimmer would definately help - fuzzis are good, or a nippa nappy (like the quick flips or bambineos are they are thin).

Jeans are stiff on little ones though - softer trousers etc would be better - wool longies are ideal as they mean you don't need a wrap too, but the look is very different from modern clothes.

octo Sat 30-Jun-07 17:52:54

ds1 walked at 9 months
ds2 walked at 15 months
ds3..... who knows? but they all have developed/moved at the same rate as their little friends - walking at 9 months was a bit of a shock though

Flamesparrow Sat 30-Jun-07 18:01:56

DS was walking at 9 months too - complete nightmare!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now