Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH MY COTTON NAPPIES HAVE JUST ARRIVED!!!!!!!

(24 Posts)
VickyLou Wed 20-Jun-07 12:30:35

I am so excited I cant wait to use them. They are so tiny, I want to borrow a baby for the day so I can try them out. Ha!!!!

I Really wantent to share my excitement (Sad I Know) thank you for letting me.

xxxx

whomovedmychocolate Wed 20-Jun-07 12:35:25

Ooh you just wait....muconium is sooooo gross!

VickyLou Wed 20-Jun-07 12:38:37

Sorry for being a bit green here, but wtf is muconium.

xx

whomovedmychocolate Wed 20-Jun-07 12:41:47

When your baby comes, for the first week or so, they poo vast quantities of black sticky marmitey stuff. It's all the dead skin cells and stuff they've swallowed in utero. It's nasty and if you don't get to it quick it welds to their bums!

VickyLou Wed 20-Jun-07 12:44:02

oooooh eer, that is a bit disgusting, well at least I know now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still very excited though, ha ha

xx

whomovedmychocolate Wed 20-Jun-07 12:50:32

I remember doing exactly the same myself last year. But <<whispers>> I waited six weeks to start using real nappies because that period is utter hell and you won't have time to brush your teeth let alone wash nappies.

It's worth it long term though. DD is asleep on my shoulder (8 months old -see profile pics) as I type and she's (mostly) adorable.

VickyLou Wed 20-Jun-07 13:00:27

AAWWW what a beautiful dd you have, she looks so very happy and content, she obviously has a lovely mummy.

I had thought about the possibility of not having the time in the beggining to wash the nappies, but my DH and I are using a combination of both disposable and cotton. So that when we take DC out for the day we will put him (I say him but I dont know, baby may be a her, ha ha) in disposeable. So I'll have some in the house and if things get too busy (As I'm sure they will) I can always switch to disposable for a bit.

I cant wait till DC is here, I'm only 20 weeks and it all seems so long away.

xx

whomovedmychocolate Wed 20-Jun-07 13:04:59

It will come round quicker than you think - except the last month which seems to last about a decade!

We used to do the disposables when out thing, but once they get above two ish months they don't need changing so often and you can go for cloth all the time.

VickyLou Wed 20-Jun-07 13:10:51

I now feel extremely green regarding babies, I will have to read that book my MW gave me, ha!!!!!!

I didn't know that they dont need changing as much as they get older. I just thought that I'd have to change him about 10 times a day anyway.

>>Vicky goes off in search for a book on what to do with a baby<<

xx

GreebosWhiskers Wed 20-Jun-07 13:30:48

Aw I love tiny wee baby nappies - so cute.

We used disposables for the first few weeks on ds then switched to cloth. It was so funny seeing the nappies on the washing line as we had tiny ones for ds & heeyoooge ones for dd who is 20 months older

VickyLou Wed 20-Jun-07 13:48:38

Hi greeboswhiskers, the ones I've ordered are from birth to potty training, so got a bit of a collection of sizes.

Which ones do you use?

I got mine fromLittle Lamb, they were the most 'good for your money package' that I could find.

xx

maveta Wed 20-Jun-07 13:57:45

Oooh, I started real nappy shopping when I was about 20 weeks too.. was the same as you and bursting to use them! We started using them from about day 3 (as soon as we were home from the hospital) but used disposables at night and when we went out (not that often - lol) for the first few weeks until we got more confident. Ds is now almost 8 weeks and for a couple of weeks now he´s only in cloth although we still have some of the disposables to use up (and always one or two in the change bag in case of some unforeseen emergency where he goes through all the cloth I´ve taken with me - thankfully yet to happen LOL)

Enjoy!

snugglebumnappies Wed 20-Jun-07 14:03:56

vickylou, i used cloth from day one with 2 of my 3 kids, it's a piece of cake, honestly ;)

nearlythere Wed 20-Jun-07 14:04:37

little lambs ones are pretty good! did you get cotton or bamboo?

VickyLou Wed 20-Jun-07 14:30:11

Hi,

i got the cotton ones, aparently the bamboo ones dont last aslong and as Dh and I want more kids after (Way After, ha ha) this one I though I'd go with the cotton ones.

Maveta - Glad it's not just me that got all excited re the nappies,I actually knew which ones I wanted while we were ttc. How bad is that

I really liked the fact that I could get a complete package from birth to potty training, I am so lazy that I couldn't be bothered to make up a package of things that I needed.
(I am that lazy that I booked today off work as had some other bits being delivered and I had meant to get the house work done, but have been on MNmost of the day Mn is so addictive I cant stay away long.

I have to take a nappy to mymums later to show her, she is a massive real nappy addict, and used terry squares on me and bro. My dad is still using them now as polishing cloths for his french polishing work, they are 28 years old and still being used, how is that for value for money.

xx

nearlythere Wed 20-Jun-07 14:44:10

make sure with the little lambs ones that you don't tumble dry them too often- i have problems with the velcro (this is one of the areas they cut back in to make them cheaper!)

CorrieDale Wed 20-Jun-07 14:56:21

I really recommend starting in on real nappies ASAP after baby arrives. We started DS on disps because we had a variety pack of cloth that we wanted to experiment with. It then took a week or so for the cloth BTP pack to arrive. By then, I'd have chickened out if I hadn't told the world that we were going to do cloth! But once we got in on a routine, it was easy. Babies make so much washing anyway that an extra few loads a week just kinds of melds in with the rest!

TPot Wed 20-Jun-07 15:04:39

Has any ones tried the Motherease one size nappies, or the Fuzzi Bunz? I'm only 14 weeks and getting excited about nappies too. Sad aint it. Could do with some tips on the best ones to buy. Cheers

VickyLou Wed 20-Jun-07 15:23:00

Hi Nearlythere - my tumble drier isn't even fixed in yet, been waiting for dh to get around to it since we moved in, ha ha!! (been here since january this year) I have bought some radiatior hanger things, so that they are near a heat source but not directly touching it, as it says in the care instructions. Will be onthe line though when it is poissible.

Hi Tpot -must admitI dontk now much about themother ease or fuzi buns nappies, hopefully someone will be alogin amo who know more about them than I do.

xx

whomovedmychocolate Wed 20-Jun-07 15:32:47

Vickylou - we use little lambs as well as wonderoos. Little lambs are a bit small for DD now - even the size 2s and they do shrink quite a bit. NB the wraps are a bit rubbish tbh not as nice as other wraps and they turn greyish after a bit.

I bought some fleece liners cheap on ebay and they work really well with LL nappies though.

jeanjeannie Wed 20-Jun-07 15:37:44

Hi - I've got the Motherease one size and they're great. They don't win any awards for cuteness - but they wash great - keep soft and do the job! I always wash mine at 40 and splash in cheapo white wine vinegar as a softener - which also gets rid of any wee smell. Plus - I can't rave highly enough about dryer balls - bashes the nappies about until they're soft and cuts down the drying time too

My dd was 6 weeks early and they were way too big for her to start with. But she's been in them for about 8 weeks now (she's 7 months) and I'm really pleased I got them. I don't get on with the Motherease wraps but am having lots of success with Nature Babies ones (with poppers) AND they've got really sweet colours and patterns.....so I get added cuteness

Flamesparrow Wed 20-Jun-07 16:23:38

TPot - you are best off speaking to an advisor (myself and snugglebum nappies both do it - ads in the small business section), or finding a real life advisor. It helps you work out which nappies will suit your needs best etc

GreebosWhiskers Thu 21-Jun-07 09:40:24

Hiya VickyLou - I use a mixture of Imse Vimse, Bumhugger, LittleLamb and no-brand shaped nappies that I bought off ebay (with Spiderman print on them - totally cool lol) as well as pad-folded terries (cotton & bamboo) and cotton prefolds. My wraps are a mix of Motherease, Nature Babies & Bambino Mio & some are print & some plain.

I know a lot of people don't like the Bambino Mio ones as they can be a little fiddly with a wriggly baby but I think they're fab - just takes a little practice

I actually have 5 small Bambino Mio wraps that ds has grown out of. There's 4 plain & one spot patterned & they do up to about 16lb. They're off-white now due to being washed with whatever happened to be going in the machine at the time & were 2nd hand when I got them but they've loads of wear left in them. If anyone's interested just give me a shout at Floralmac@aol.com & I'll post them out - I don't want anything for them as they only cost me a fiver anyway & ds got good use of them.

The LittleLamb one I have was a free offer from LittleLamb and just came with the fleece liner which is lovely & soft but didn't come with a wrap so I haven't tried the wraps yet.

Fleece is great as a liner but as I'm a cheapskate I just bought a fleece blanket from Primark for £2 and cut it up to make my own liners. Same with boosters - a pack of terry facecloths from Primark at £1.50 for 7 & just fold them in half or thirds to boost night-time nappies

I didn't put dd in cloth 'til she was about a year but I wish I'd done it much sooner. As soon as I knew I was pg with ds I started buying tiny little nappies for him. It turned into a total addiction & even now when I see the nappy for sale threads I still think 'oh I could get some of those' then have to remind myself that dh will go mad if I do lol.

VickyLou Thu 21-Jun-07 13:43:45

Hi Greeboswhiskers, I', glad I'm not the only one who goes gaga over the real nappies.

I never even thought at looking on ebay for 2nd hand ones!!!! Ahh well, got mine now.
I even brought one into work today to show the girls!!!! How sad am I????

My dh thinks that I'm potty, even though he likes them, he thinks I shouldn't get so excited over nappies, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Great tips on the boosters though, gonna have to pop in to Primark over the weekend and get some of those.

My mum loves them, I took one round to hers yesterday and shes kept it, ha ha

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now