Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Pull ups have messed everything up. Any suggestions?

(16 Posts)
Dragonhart Tue 19-Jun-07 11:36:56

Trained ds almost 3 weeks ago and all was going really well. Had been dry for almost a week and was starting to do poos in the potty.

I had been using pull ups when we went out, but he had not weed in them as he had gone before and after we came back (we were not out that long).

Then we were at a toddler group and he asked me to go to the toilet, so I took him but he would not go on the toilet with me holding him on it and I had not taken a potty. Then he weed in the pull up for the first time wen I put it back on.

Since then he is having loads of accidents and rarely tells me he needs a wee before he starts.

Any suggestions?

somersetmum Tue 19-Jun-07 11:44:31

My dd was scared of the big toilet for a while too. Can you get/borrow one of those mobile smaller insert seats, so that wherever you are you can make the seat smaller?

If he's already been trained and knows what to do, I would lose the pull ups immediately. You might get an accident or two, but he will soon realise that he needs to use the potty/toilet again.

You have so nearly cracked it - don't give up now, go for it!

Dragonhart Tue 19-Jun-07 12:10:36

He was dry with nothing on almost straight away, then took afew more days with pants on then only afew accidents when he was watching tv and tired.

Need the courage to go out without them as I also have a 5 month dd!

bozza Tue 19-Jun-07 12:12:49

Ditch the pull ups. He has proved he can do it so you just need to be brave.

Dragonhart Tue 19-Jun-07 14:14:35

Right so no pull ups.

So what do you do when you are out and they wet themselves? How do you clean it up? Obviously change of clothes but what about if it goes on the floor/carpet in a hall/other persons house?

Dragonhart Tue 19-Jun-07 14:15:01

Or their shoes?

suzycreamcheese Tue 19-Jun-07 15:32:46

take it easy at first and go to places you know have toilets nearby..supermarket, library..
get him to pee before you leave like mum does ..
treat for doing trip well..

change of clothing (shoes are problem and socks)

keep asking him if he needs when toilet nearby and this annoyed ds so much it was easier to pee in proper place..

you have done really well dont give up..ds just out of night nappies now..keep the faith dragonheart..

suzycreamcheese Tue 19-Jun-07 15:34:57

pull ups are waste of time imho
i told ds he was only allowed one packet from shop as it became big mistake here
get friendly shop assistant to back you up!

bozza Tue 19-Jun-07 16:25:51

What sort of shoes does he wear? Could you invest in a couple of cheap pairs of doodles/sandals for this summer? Take spare clothes and wipes and nappy/carrier bags (for wet items). Put a towel or one of those pampers care mats in the car seat/buggy. Take potty with you.

I would explain that you are ditching the pullups, try and have a few days at home and then try to go to places with toilets easily available or where you do not mind whipping out the potty.

bozza Tue 19-Jun-07 16:26:31

Doodles are good because they can be washed.

lizziemun Tue 19-Jun-07 17:24:50

Dragonhart

I invested in this porta - potty when out and about from mothercare as it folds flat,

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B000IVQPVE/sr=1-3/qid=1 182269996/ref=sr_1_3/026-2736359-5269236?ie=UTF8&m=A2LBK NDJ2KZUGQ&n=42858041&mcb=core

Was easy to carry around and use/dispose when used i think 10 refills are about £3.00.

NannyL Tue 19-Jun-07 21:47:58

I agree with others...

pull ups dont help potty training and IMO only hinder it as you have found out..

get rid of them and prepare to carry around a few changes of clothes instead!

He will soon learn...

if you are that worried you can line buggies / car seats with pamper care mats!

Also at our music group there is 1 little girl who always sits on a pampers mat just in case!

Dragonhart Tue 19-Jun-07 21:54:01

Tried today at home with no pants on and he was back to doing all wees on potty, and even did one poo on the potty (and one on the floor, although he did ask to go but didnt wait long enough poor lad!).

So tom I am going to try pants on, then if all goes well, on wed a trip out.

I have some of those washable waterproof pads for the seats and just bought one of those potty from mothercare Lizzie.

Good idea about some cheap sandles as a spare.

All set. Fingers crossed and thanks for the support. xxx

Dragonhart Tue 19-Jun-07 21:55:12

Thats a good idea Nanny, although getting him to sit still enough is another matter!

bozza Wed 20-Jun-07 09:29:58

It sounds like this is the way you need to go dragonheart. Good luck!

Dragonhart Thu 21-Jun-07 20:29:51

Just to let you know, all went well on our trip out to Tescos. Even did a wee in the car park!

Thanks again for the advice.xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now