Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Silly question - Do BF babies poo every nappy?

(17 Posts)
Kyte Wed 06-Jun-07 14:35:38

Hi, pg first timer here. This is a question that's bugged me for a while but I haven't had the guts to ask it before.

So, is every nappy change for a BF baby a pooey one or do they just wee sometimes? Just like to know what I'm getting myself into....

IdrisTheDragon Wed 06-Jun-07 14:36:52

Some do. Some don't.

I generally found DS and DD did nearly every nappy change, although they were quite unusual compared with other babies I knew.

Bf poo is OK anyway - smells quite sweet(ish).

nickytwotimes Wed 06-Jun-07 14:37:18

they vary from baby to baby. mine has always been once a day whether bf, ff or now proper food. my poor friend - hers goes day and night and is 10 mo! don't worry-yours'll be once a day, too!?

Katy44 Wed 06-Jun-07 14:51:24

mine doesn't, probably every 2 or 3 nappies is pooey, in between are very wet

Manictigger Wed 06-Jun-07 15:21:01

At the beginning my dd did a poo every time I fed her but it gradually got less often. Now at 9 months on a few solids but still mainly milk she poos about every 4 days but they are truly horrendous and she sometimes needs a bath before a clean nappy because the poo gets EVERYWHERE <thinks back wistfully to when poos were little, often and not horribly smelly...... oh and didn't contain intact pieces of courgette etc >

Dragonhart Wed 06-Jun-07 16:51:29

While still exclusivly bf, my ds1 pooed at every feed (and sometimes more!). My dd2 only poos 2-3 times a week so ime depends on the baby.

yomellamoHelly Wed 06-Jun-07 16:53:37

Not every change, but most of them (every 2 hours roughly here during the day)

flossie64 Wed 06-Jun-07 16:53:39

My dd poo'd 10-12 times a day ,where as my friends dd poo'd once every 7 days .You never can tell ,it all depends on the baby.

TheAccidentalParent Thu 28-Jun-07 21:42:41

Mine pooed much more in the beginning (first 2 weeks or so) Midwife said it was because their bowels are immature.

Then all of a sudden she stopped pooing 5 or 6 times a day and went to every other a day. It was such a big shock I thought she had a blockage in her intestine or something!

fannyannie Thu 28-Jun-07 21:45:14

Well I reckond my DS1 can beat everyone on this thread so far - exclusively breastfed and from about 2 weeks old was a "once a week boy" - usually on a Friday at around 5pm (thankfully DH got home early those days so would sort out him out as it was they were ALWAYS 'everywhere' jobs) - I could almost set my watch by him LOL.

daisyboo Thu 28-Jun-07 21:51:07

my 3 week old dd is pooing 10-12 times a day and sometimes she poos, waits for you to change her, then poos again immediately....

I thought this would settle down.......maybe not

Waswondering Thu 28-Jun-07 21:51:49

Ds - pretty much every change

Dd - prior to weaning could happily go a week without a dirty nappy. That was great!!

Ellbell Thu 28-Jun-07 21:52:33

fannieannie, my dd2 was like that too, from about 7 weeks to about 12 weeks - once a week (Tuesday night, iirc) and every-bleedin'-where! Once I actually cut a vest off her, cos there was so much poo in it I was convinced she'd drown if I tried to take it over her head.

daisyboo Thu 28-Jun-07 21:54:10

oh, and usually she waits for nappy off to do very very big wees!

fannyannie Thu 28-Jun-07 21:55:38

ellbell - it's awful isn't it - I seem to recall that DS1 went from 2 weeks until he about 4 months old like that!..........and anyone that tries to tell you that bf babies poo won't stain is lying - the number of vest and babygro's we threw away as they were completely stained - even after practically boiling the damn things

claireybee Sat 30-Jun-07 12:15:32

My dd used to poo about 5 mins after i fed her-every feed. And she was on hourly feeds. That seemed to last for ages but in reality it could have been a couple of weeks, or maybe months. I really can't remember!

Chirpygirl Sat 30-Jun-07 12:25:07

Mine didn't, she'd go every time some days and others she would go once or twice all day.
One wonderful occasion she went 10 days without pooing, it was bliss

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now