Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Size 7 nappies on a 16 month old

(30 Posts)
RibenaMonsoon Wed 07-Feb-18 22:23:46

My poor little boy keeps waking in the night having leaked through his size 6+ pampers baby dry nappies.

I need to move him up a size as they are becoming a bit snug and I think this is the reason for the leakage. He's a big boy and is in 3 year olds clothes at the moment as well.

I'm so worried that he's gonna out grow the size 7 in no time. We just seem to be getting through the sizes very quickly. What are my options after this? I can't potty train him as he's too young.

I guess my question is, can anybody reccomend any nappies that are bigger generally? Not too expensive. Also do they even make nappies past size 7? Are pull up pants as good? Or are they a different entity altogether?

Any advice or recomendations you can give would be much appreciated.

Solasum Wed 07-Feb-18 22:24:46

Have you tried baby dry pants? They are great

Nottalotta Wed 07-Feb-18 22:26:27

I didn't even know size 7 existed. Are you sure he needs that size? My large 2.5 yr old (age 4 clothes) is in size 6 nappies. They do sometimes leak at night if he has a lay in but that's not due to size, just sheer quantity of wee.

afreshnewname Wed 07-Feb-18 22:27:57

Are they leaking because they are too big?

Schmoochypoos Wed 07-Feb-18 22:28:58

We’ve always used Tesco baby dry and they’ve been fine. I always used to find if the vest underneath the pyjamas was a bit tight the nappy would invariably leak. Not sure if they have a size 7 though. My 2.5 year old is still in a size 5 and he’s average sized. How much does he weigh? Maybe they are too big???

hazeyjane Wed 07-Feb-18 22:30:33

What size is your child (weight/height)? My disabled 7 year old is in size 7 nappies! At the preschool I work at we use size 6 for 3 and 4 year olds.

I think the size may be too big!

wizzywig Wed 07-Feb-18 22:32:55

Same-ish as hazey. my 7yr old is in size 6

newdaylight Wed 07-Feb-18 22:36:34

Crikey. Is he big? Sure the nappies aren't too large?

EfficiencyDeficiency Wed 07-Feb-18 22:39:22

They definitely do size 7 in Pampers.
My friend uses them for her autistic ds, he's 8.

There are no commercial nappies that I'm aware of past size 7.

My dd was late to do a poo on the toilet ( sorry for tmi ) and wore pull ups until only last year. She's 6 and chunky.

There are things such as bedtime pants in much bigger sizes but I think they're geared towards those who bed wet or have SN.

NickMyLipple Wed 07-Feb-18 22:45:14

The + is for added absorbency and has very little to do with the size (this does depend on the brand - pampers + are very slightly bigger but most brands are not). Are you using pull-ups or tab nappies?

MotherofaSurvivor Wed 07-Feb-18 22:53:26

For context, my just turned 3yr old has been in size 6 (baby dry pants) since just after she turned 2. She's tiny as well!

I know ASDA do special pull ups for up to age 8?? They're meant for night time but may work?

If you want to try pull up nappy pants, the best are Pampers Baby Dry Pants. They're sooo stretchy so you may find it buys you extra time....

It does sound like he's in too large a size and that is why they're leaking but if that really isn't the case and he grows out of all nappies inc the pants then there is always incontinence pads or even adult nappies. So it's not the end of the world. Before trying those however, I'd go see your Advanced Nurse Practitioner at your Doctors. If he is overly large then they may be able to prescribe you especially large ones? Just an idea. I could be wrong

MotherofaSurvivor Wed 07-Feb-18 22:54:23

*Incontinence Pants not Pads! confused

MyDcAreMarvel Wed 07-Feb-18 22:54:51

My five year old dd wears size 7 at night. I cannot see how they would ever be the correct size for a 16 month old.

DotCottonDotcom Wed 07-Feb-18 22:58:10

WTFFFFF there’s a size 7?!

Why did no one tell me 😭

MapMyMum Wed 07-Feb-18 23:01:15

I had the same with my youngest who was very chunky. We moved onto the pampers night time pants for older children, we bought them in tesco, they are more expesnive but they did the trick until we could potty train, which thankfully happened quickly and easily

eurochick Wed 07-Feb-18 23:01:16

I think they are probably too big. My 3.5 year old wears size 5 at night (she's out of dat nappies).

MapMyMum Wed 07-Feb-18 23:03:27

These things!

DeadButDelicious Wed 07-Feb-18 23:17:46

My DD is almost 15 months and in size 4 nappies and will be for the foreseeable future by the looks of things. Size 7 seems awfully big for 16 months.

We use ASDA little angels in size 4+ (the + means they are extra absorbant £5 for 78). She's only leaked through them a handful of times, usually when she's slept in. We had no luck at all with pampers she leaked through every single one. And getting the pants on her was not easier than tabs.

FusionChefGeoff Wed 07-Feb-18 23:29:06

Special night time pull ups are designed to hold more so Huggies or Dry Nites. Daytime pull ups / nappies always leaked but the 'night time pants' never give us that problem.

Cuddlesandcannulas Wed 07-Feb-18 23:39:09

DS (he's a beast at 42lbs and nearly 3 years old) is in size 7 pampers baby dry. He also fits in to Pampers pull up pants in size 6 and Tesco dry ones in size 6+.

The Tesco ones are the biggest but have the least absorbency. We use them for frequent day changes, and use the Pampers size 7 for overnight and his occasional naps. The pull ups are for swift changes when out and about.

I found Morrisons and Asda size 6+ dug in too much and were no good. Same problem with whichever one out of Lidl and Aldi do 6+ too (can never remember which store is which!).

Use www.bumdeal.co.uk to find the cheapest place for you to get the size 7 Pampers. They're harder to find and can be ruddy expensive.

youarenotkiddingme Thu 08-Feb-18 07:23:22

Tena do inserts that have extra absorbency to go into incontenence pads. I'm sure you could use them with nappies.

Although agree with others that the nappies may be too big not too small!
Without meaning to sound patronising are you trying to fit them over the rounded belly bit?! (You know the toddler belly I'm talking about!) they should sit below and the bottom tabs should go across the pelvis. (Iyswim?)

DragonsAndCakes Thu 08-Feb-18 07:31:29

You know when you have a newborn and you can close the tabs on the nappy so they are nearly touching each other? You aren’t still trying to do that are you? They’re fine at the edges of the nappy. Does that even make sense? What does your child weigh? Does it fit with the recommended weight for size 7 of 15kg and over? (If so it looks like they are off the scale for weight on the charts www.rcpch.ac.uk/system/files/protected/page/A4%20Boys%200-4YRS%20(4th%20Jan%202013).pdf - is their height in proportion?)

RibenaMonsoon Thu 08-Feb-18 07:56:20

Thanks for the advice everyone. I must admit I haven't weighed him since he was 1. He just won't stay still on the scales lol.
I'll give it another go today. He's 86cm tall.

I don't close the tabs to the center of the nappy anymore. It's a bit of a struggle to close them at all and when I do it seems to be very tight on him. I was using the premium protection active fit when he was in size 6 and they definitely have more give in them than the baby dry size 6 +.

He was always gonna be a big boy, my husband's 6ft1 and built like a brick shit house. I'm 5ft 10 myself so he was always going to be a big boy. Maybe I'm overestimating how big he is and the size he needs but size 6 are so tight on him I don't think I am.

I'll try weighing him again and report back.

afreshnewname Thu 08-Feb-18 14:49:59

As far as I'm aware the only difference between a 6 and a 6+ is the absorbency it's not to do with size

sportyfool Thu 08-Feb-18 14:56:21

Size 7 were reserved for sn children but have recently become available in shops .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now