Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Cotton Wool Balls or Pads?

(10 Posts)
Pyeface Sat 13-Jan-18 23:18:41

Hi,
I'm due in 6 weeks and I'm just starting to put together my hospital bag. I am eventually planning on using reusable cloth wipes, but I've been told to use cotton wool to start with.

It seems like the cotton wool pads would be much more practical and less waste! Would they be okay?

UnitedKungdom Sat 13-Jan-18 23:21:49

Never bother with cotton wool. It can't do shit against those first sticky poos. The only thing I might use cotton balls for us cleaning eyes if they get a bit conjunctivitisy.

Otherwise wipes all the way.

Reusables even better.

Sinistrophobia Sat 13-Jan-18 23:48:02

Before I had my DD I was told I HAD to use cotton wool to change her nappy, and I would be told off by the midwives if I didn't. (BS)
Well during the night my newborn had that absolutely horrific first poo, where it's all black and tar like. It had soaked through her vest and babygrow and onto the blanket she was wrapped in and all I had was bastard cotton wool balls to clean it up.
It was an absolute nightmare trying to wet all these cotton balls, I needed A LOT! I text my DP straight afterwards to tell him he needed to buy wipes and bring me a pack in with him in the morning!

Definitely not cotton balls though, 100% pads but reusable wipes would be way better!

dalmatianmad Sat 13-Jan-18 23:52:27

Baby wipes! It's your Baby, the midwifes can only advise.

ijustwannadance Sat 13-Jan-18 23:53:33

Never ever cotton wool balls. They just end up sticking to the poo and going bitty.

Pads at a push but why not just get a pack of wipes for hospital?

yumchoc Sat 13-Jan-18 23:56:12

Pads definitely easier get the skin care once's as they're cheaper Asda little angles pads £1 and skin care are 75p

LondonLassInTheCountry Sat 13-Jan-18 23:59:23

Pads

idontlikealdi Sun 14-Jan-18 00:04:27

Never ever cotton balls.

Pyeface Sun 14-Jan-18 11:41:01

Thank you all so much!
That’s exactly what I imagined would happen with cotton wool balls, I just couldn’t see them being at all practical, especially with the first tar poo!!

dontquit Sun 14-Jan-18 11:58:31

Cotton wool and water is a farce. Wipes much better with sticky poos at the start. Use some bepanthen or Vaseline before putting on next nappy to as much easier to clean the poo off then. I buy ALDI makeup cotton pads. Very cheap. After cleaning with wipes I use cotton pad to dry the skin.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: