Talk

Advanced search

Cloth nappy starter kits

(21 Posts)
ScurfyTwiglet Fri 29-Dec-17 15:40:26

Hi everyone, I'm currently 33 weeks pregnant with my first, and very keen to use reusable nappies from the start. But with so many different types, and rices, I really don't know where to begin.

Can anyone recommend a decent starter kit that will include everything I'll need for at least 6 months or so? I'm prepared for a significant initial outlay. I am tempted by the Little Lambs bamboo packs here: www.littlelambnappies.com/nappy-kits/bamboo-nappy-kit-20 - does anyone have any experience with them? It says you get 6 weeks to try them - my baby probably won't have even arrived 6 weeks from now! So should I wait and order them at the very last minute? I'm so confused!

A very kind lady on Freecycle gave me a whole huge bag of Cotton Bottoms nappies, complete with a load of white plastic wraps and nappy nippa things and liners. But the nappies themselves are just big sort of squares of cotton - I'm really not sure what to do with them! Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

DrSeuss Fri 29-Dec-17 15:44:15

Cotton Bottoms leaked everywhere when I tried them! Send me your address via PM and I will send you a couple of dozen terry squares which you can learn to fold via the Nappy Lady site and a few refolds. I have been trying to give them to someone forever!

Situp Fri 29-Dec-17 15:46:30

Are the pads thicker in the middle? Then they are prefolds. Go to YouTube and look at videos for prefold nappies.

We have used reusables from day 1 with both our kids and they were awesome. We actually used flat square terry towelling nappis with the waterproof covers which were great. You can use muslins at first when babies are tiny. Again, look for videos on YouTube the nappy lady is very good.

I wouldn't recommend waiting to start. I have several friends who did this and by 6 weeks you are so used to disposables it is hard to switch.

BWatchWatcher Fri 29-Dec-17 15:47:42

Eugh don't buy little lambs.
Where are based?
I used cloth nappies for years but stuffables like fuzzi bunz. So easy! There are cloth nappy selling facebook groups too.

Situp Fri 29-Dec-17 15:48:16

Plus, if you are doing it for frugality as a reason, resist all the kits and beautiful designs. You can easily get carried away with the pretty designs. Ultimately, they are shit and piss containers!

BWatchWatcher Fri 29-Dec-17 15:48:27

*where are you based?
Just in case there are people looking for share smile

Bubblysqueak Fri 29-Dec-17 15:49:41

We had bumgenius which were so simple to use and you just put the whole lot into the wash with no faff.

ScurfyTwiglet Fri 29-Dec-17 16:16:58

Ah thanks for all the replies and advice everyone!

I'm doing it more because I absolutely detest plastic waste and the thought of all of that plastic and natural resources that go into making a disposable nappy and then just being binned after a single use makes me really sad. Saving money in the long run is of course a really nice bonus!

OK, so votes so far are for Fuzzibunz and Bumgenius... should I try seeking out a starter kit from one of those brands? Or just buy a few of each? The latter seems like quite an expensive way to do it at about £12+ each...?

I'm in Canterbury, and am not a user of Facebook so can't see the FB groups sadly.

Bubblysqueak Fri 29-Dec-17 18:46:06

I bought 5 bumgenius to start with. This was enough for 1 day. They took 1 day to wash and dry (I used them everyother day until I was certain they were right for me.
They lasted from newbie to potty training as they get bigger.

GummyGoddess Fri 29-Dec-17 18:57:49

We had little lambs to start with, they were horrendous and leaked after an hour. A friend of mine has a girl and thought they were amazing and is still using them.

We are using cheap generic pocket nappies and as dc is a boy, there are two boosters in each, one unfolded and one folded in half at the front. They are fantastic, cheap and look adorable. Try aliexpress or amazon for them.

The best boosters are the hemp ones but they're expensive so I don't have that many, I mainly have bamboo and microfiber ones.

Don't get one brand/type, you might not get on with them and it's an expensive mistake.

Lostmyemailaddress Fri 29-Dec-17 19:05:17

I've got a mix of little lamb bambino mio and little bloom I find the little bloom easier but for newborn I used close pop in nappies as they are smaller then the starting sizes of the others. I'm happy to post them to you if you want to try them.

ScurfyTwiglet Sat 30-Dec-17 11:55:01

This is all really helpful, thanks everyone!

DrSeuss that's a really kind offer but I think I'm going to have to pass - I'm really not sure I'll be able to get my husband on board with folding nappies as well as washing them!

I'm really keen to try some of the pockets/all in ones but it's just figuring out where to begin..!

DrSeuss Sat 30-Dec-17 12:19:05

OK, no problem. Anyone else for some Fluffles, Totsbots and a dozen terry squares?

FlippertyJibbit Sat 30-Dec-17 12:22:34

I'm 33 weeks too! grin I've started thinking about reusables but have only ever used disposables with DS (now 5) the biggest appeal for me is the money saving but I'm definitely keen to be more eco-friendly!

I honestly have no clue where to start though so will be watching this thread with interest!!

Lostmyemailaddress Sat 30-Dec-17 12:33:11

Maybe we could start a thread with offers of cloth nappies for those who are interested?
I currently use them but have no one I know who's interested in using them and I rather pass them on to someone else then just having them lying around.

GummyGoddess Sat 30-Dec-17 12:53:16

Let me know if you do start a thread, I don't have boosters as those have all gone into the pocket nappies, but I have several little lambs and covers that I do not use. Will just have to locate them as everything has been moved around at Christmas.

GemmaB78 Sat 30-Dec-17 13:03:25

We've used bambino mio (covers & foldable inserts) and some all-in-ones for our son (he's 2.6 and just at the point of potty training, thank god!). They've been great for us. As he got bigger and was doing bigger wees, we added boosters (two, one folded at the front like another poster) and we did switch to disposables at night as we got sick of complete changes of clothes and bedding. Is there a trial service in East Kent? I'd be very surprised if there isn't something near Canterbury.

Lostmyemailaddress Sat 30-Dec-17 13:04:40

Ok I'll start one now will call it the nappy pass on thread if people are happy with that.

GemmaB78 Sat 30-Dec-17 13:05:42

Look for the NCT cloth nappy library Canterbury and District on Facebook.

Lostmyemailaddress Sat 30-Dec-17 13:11:53

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/nappies_potty_training_etc/3125249-The-cloth-nappy-pass-on-thread?watched=1

Started a thread for those who are interested.

ThreeTwins Fri 19-Jan-18 20:53:33

Keep a hold of your prefolds and wraps, OP! They are just about all i use for daytime nappies. I simply pad fold them - fold in half across the stitched lines and in half again, then place it in the wrap, add a fleece liner and put on baby.

See YouTube for different folds. Some are more involved and need a nippa.

Even if you don't use them as nappies they have hundreds of other uses- general mop ups, sick catchers, swing seat and trolley dryers, floor cloths...

Look up nappy libraries. They will lend you a selection of nappies to try out to see what suits you and your baby, as not all nappies will fit or suit all babies. It's very much trial and error!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: