Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Bum Genius - which kind?

(10 Posts)
Misslemon01 Mon 18-Dec-17 13:52:20

I am so confused by all the different types of Bum Genius nappies! A friend recommended BG birth to potty, but you have elemental, freetime, original, etc. Plus you have all these other brands too (some of which a lot cheaper than BG).

Someone help please! What would you recommend? I just want to get 20 or something and be done with it until the baby is using the potty. thank you.

Misslemon01 Mon 18-Dec-17 16:40:49

Anyone at all? Even generic tips on reusable nappies?

Misspilly88 Mon 18-Dec-17 16:44:43

One thing to consider is if you buy the all in ones and pocket nappies, you need to buy far more of them because at every nappy change you'll need to put an entire new nappy on. And they're expensive. We had a set of flips, where you only change the pad inside and reuse the cover as long as it's not soiled and I think we only had 7 wraps plus lots of pads to change. However the all in ones are good. Another thing, if buying second hand do check that the elastic in the leg gusset hasn't perished as that makes them pretty useless but is common.

Misslemon01 Mon 18-Dec-17 17:51:53

Thank you so much @Misspilly88 - would you recommend the ones with a separate wrap over the all in ones? My friend is using the all in ones and much prefer them to the wrapped ones for ease of use...

They are pretty expensive aren't they! But I'm hoping overall they work out cheaper over 2 years, and this way I won't feel so bad about the environment! 😬

Misspilly88 Mon 18-Dec-17 17:55:22

If money hadn't have been a factor then I would've got the all in ones. But you'll need around 20. Some of the children at my nursery used them when I worked there and they were good. I went through several sets with my boy, because as he changed shape the ones we had began to leak. I think buying a whole set of aio s would be great. Or you could get a nappy trial when baby arrives?

Misslemon01 Mon 18-Dec-17 18:12:02

Thanks again @Misspilly88 - clueless first time mum here, what's a nappy trial? All I know is that the council offers vouchers for reusable nappies, but no mention of trial...

Nan0second Mon 18-Dec-17 18:18:08

Birth to potty are rubbish on the average newborn or for heavy wetters.
Dont buy 20 nappies in one go of any sort as they may not work for you.
Best nappies for newborns to about 20lb is size 1 little lambs with a mother ease wrap over.
Cheap as chips off Facebook selling sites (£2.50 per nappy including removal insert) so you can spend £40 on a bundle and see how you like them. Alternatively little lamb with do a Boxing Day sale via their Facebook page which will be good. Their wraps are not as bombproof as mother ease though.
Then find a nappy library (there are even postal ones) once baby is here and see what you like / works on your baby.
Skinny babies need different to chunky babies need different to long babies etc etc!
Good luck

ilovewelshrarebit123 Mon 18-Dec-17 18:22:41

My DD is 10 now but I initially bought bamboo nappies with liners and hated them.

I then got Bumgenius V2 all in ones and loved them. I had 20 and washed them every two to three days.

I couldn't use them from birth though as they were birth to potty, but far to big. I still used disposable as well if we were out all day.

I'd get five or so just to see if you like them.

Misspilly88 Mon 18-Dec-17 20:17:09

Yes they work from about when baby is 9lb....both mine were bigger than that at birth so no prob. I would use disposables until they fit. Little lambs and motherese wraps are good too, tried them.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Mon 18-Dec-17 20:18:24

Check out the libraries map on www.uknappynetwork.org and attend a demo and/or hire a trial kit. What works for one family may not be suitable for another.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: