Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Does your council collect used nappies separately?

(17 Posts)
Remembermeagain Sun 29-Oct-17 08:54:50

I am trying to find an example of a good council that collects nappies separately from black bag stuff. Reading that lots of people already separate out nappies at home- nappy bins/buckets etc., so why don't the council take them like this?
We are trying to stop our council burning so much waste.

ohidoliketobe Sun 29-Oct-17 08:56:47

Mine don't, but out of interest - what would they do with it differently to how they currently treat general (non-recyclable) waste?

Ttbb Sun 29-Oct-17 08:56:48

Why would they do that?

kuniloofdooksa Sun 29-Oct-17 08:57:07

Huh?
Disposable nappies are landfill waste. Why would they be collected separately?

ijustwannadance Sun 29-Oct-17 09:00:58

Don't know about nappies but the bloke next door appears to have a black wheelie bin just for his bags of dog shit.

DesignedForLife Thu 30-Nov-17 22:12:03

Ours does. It takes them and other similar waste and sends them for recycling. Fantastic scheme. I believe a couple councils round here do. PM me for details

PickAChew Thu 30-Nov-17 22:15:22

I wish ours did. We can often barely close our wheelie bin by the time the fortnight is up and high summer takes on a whole new meaning. And no, cloth is absolutely not an option for my autistic tween, before anyone chips in.

hazeyjane Thu 30-Nov-17 22:20:06

They recycle used nappies? That sounds...unusual?!

We get a bin that is very marginally bigger than the standard bin, but it doesn't make a lot of difference, and yes, Summer is a nightmare!

SixFeetUnder Thu 30-Nov-17 22:24:28

Our council will come and pick them up separately, no idea what they do with them, if they recycle them somehow or not. They only do this as they recently changed our non recyclable waste uplifts to once every four weeks so the nappies would be walking to the tip by then!

hazeyjane Thu 30-Nov-17 22:30:16

They are talking about changing our non recyclables to 3 weekly pick up, which will be bad enough. It seems crazy from the nappy point if view, and as there is no food composting scheme, the bins are going to reek!

Nannyplumssillyoldelf Thu 30-Nov-17 22:33:30

We have a separate nappy collection here. It's so our not very big bins don't get too full up before collection every 2 weeks.

Spam88 Thu 30-Nov-17 22:51:21

We have a separate nappy collection because we're limited to two bags of general waste a fortnight, so no idea whether they actually do anything different with it.

HiggedyPiggedy Thu 30-Nov-17 22:55:05

Those worrying about the smell of a bin with nappies in for several week - can't you just flush the poo down the loo before binning the nappy?

Spam88 Fri 01-Dec-17 05:48:04

higgidy night work for toddlers but certainly not for babies

Mrsfucktrumpet Fri 01-Dec-17 06:14:17

Apparently our picks them up to be incinerated as human waste. If this is the case why arent they pickking up sanitary waste bags as thats worse to sit in landfills

hazeyjane Fri 01-Dec-17 06:16:52

The consistency of ds's poo is such that it would be very tricky to get it from nappy to toilet! My ds is disabled and has chronic bowel issues.

pinkblink Fri 01-Dec-17 07:01:35

Our council collects our little nappy bins weekly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now