Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

What are the best nappies for a newborn?

(21 Posts)
amypanth Sun 06-Aug-17 08:57:19

Any ideas or thoughts?
I have no clue which ones to get as a new mum!

flashymcbashee Sun 10-Sep-17 08:27:39

actually believe it or not the old fashioned terry squares are great for a newborn. You can get small ones now and you can get bamboo ones which are very neat. These are good and worth the extra price over normal ones
www.littlepants.co.uk/index.php?id_product=1086&controller=product

ewemum Sun 10-Sep-17 08:34:41

Ones from Aldi are good.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sun 10-Sep-17 08:37:29

If you are willing to consider reusable nappies, you may have a local library to hire them from www.uknappynetwork.org/find-a-library.html

cheerylilthing Sun 10-Sep-17 08:37:34

Aldi's disposables have won the most awards & we like the Morrisons ones too. Haven't been keen on pampers but will be trying their pull ups on DS when he's in size 5s

snotato Sun 10-Sep-17 08:38:04

I second aldi nappies.
I used to only buy pampers,but they were rubbish and I found they always leaked.
Aldi nappies are cheap,absorbant and soft.

MotherofKitties Sun 10-Sep-17 08:57:20

Pampers number 1 newborn nappies; they have a yellow strip which turns blue when the nappy is wet and it means you can easily check when your baby needs changing; my little one (5 weeks old) is dry and comfortable as a result and we've had no nappy rashes so far

CatsCantFlyFast Sun 10-Sep-17 09:03:34

To be honest different nappies do fit differently so I'd get a couple of small packs of different brands and try them out. Pampers sizing is about half a size smaller to other nappies, imo they also feel softer around the waistband but it's personal preference

jimijack Sun 10-Sep-17 09:09:52

Aldi, very cheap, very efficient, tbh baby is changed so frequently when newborn it doesn't matter which you use, but to keep costs down, aldi do what they need to do.

flashymcbashee Sun 10-Sep-17 13:45:37

I'd definitely get some 50cm 100% bamboo terries. They are awesome for the first 6 months. There's nothing to come close. Or if you're bothered by folds, there's the Little Q-Dos nappy which works as we'll as a terry without the origami.
Here's a video of putting a terry square on a newborn
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z06Ip4VAf0

welshweasel Sun 10-Sep-17 13:47:45

We had to use pampers to start as he was in micro size. As soon as he fit normal sized we were in aldi and haven't ever changed. Never had nappy rash, very rare to leak.

FlowerTink Sun 10-Sep-17 13:51:34

We used pampers to begin with as I had a prem baby, but Aldi's are brilliant and I haven't looked back since! We did try ASDA and Morrisons too but they seemed to leak a bit more.

rabaria Sun 10-Sep-17 13:51:55

Depends on the shape of the baby. The ONLY ones that didn't leak with DS were Lidl. DD can wear Pampers ( disaster for DS) and Lidl. Huggies were useless for both of them.

rabaria Sun 10-Sep-17 13:52:27

Oh yes - ASDA were good for DS too, but we didn't live near one at the time

INeedNewShoes Sun 10-Sep-17 13:57:28

My baby was very skinny when she was born. Asda nappies were by far the best fit for her (and they're as cheap as the Aldi nappies and have the colour-changing line).

Pampers give my DD nappy rash and I dislike the smell of them when they're wet.

I don't like Waitrose nappies or Naty nappies as they don't have the colour-changing line and both are too wide for my skinny baby.

OuchBollocks Sun 10-Sep-17 13:59:01

Both my babies came out in a rash in pampers. I liked Beaming Baby best but they are £££, Tesco ones were fine and the same price as aldi last time I checked.

Algebraic Sun 10-Sep-17 14:30:56

I like aldi. The newborn number 1 size has a cut out for the umbilical stump and has the colour changing line. We tried pampers as got loads of free samples but had leaks with my DD. Plus they are so cheap!

randomsabreuse Sun 10-Sep-17 14:44:01

Aldi best for my long scrawny baby. Papers always let poo out. At 3m we shifted to btp reuseable which we ditched at 1 year because once she was on the move they struggled - because scrawny...

flashymcbashee Sun 10-Sep-17 15:52:38

www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/sep/24/anthonybrowne.theobserver

INeedNewShoes Sun 10-Sep-17 16:18:59

That article is 17 years old. Have nappies not changed since then?

flashymcbashee Sun 10-Sep-17 18:17:12

Cloth nappies have changed and improved tremendously, but disposable nappies now contain more chemicals than ever, and recent research has shown that the temperature inside a cloth nappy is considerably cooler than in a disposable.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: