Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

2 questions about reusable nappies

(12 Posts)
crazypenguinlady Sun 11-Jun-17 09:29:09

Okay, so this week has been about trial and error, seeing what works for us, etc. Night before last I put baby in a Bamboozle Stretch with a booster and Motherease wrap. No leaks, but when we went to change him the next morning, obviously the nappy was soaking but his bum area was as well. Do I need to use a liner for the night? Will it keep his skin dry? I've only used them in the day as I thought it was just for poo (and he's poo'd within an hour of wearing each nappy in the day so not much chance for his skin to become wet). Didnt think to put a liner in during the night as he only poos in the daytime. Normally with disposables, he has one after a bath (between 6.30-7pm) then we change him at his feed about 5am. Or am I supposed to change a reusable nappy during the night as well?

Also, with pocket nappies, do I need to take out the inserts when washing them? Or can i just throw everything in the wash as it as?

Sorry for the silly questions, I'm a complete novice with cloth nappies (but already addicted) grin

crazypenguinlady Sun 11-Jun-17 09:31:59

Sorry that reads as if he has several poos a day! That's meant to read that I've only been using one reusable a day at the moment as we've been out and about, rest of the time he's still in disposables.

Lostinaseaofbubbles Sun 11-Jun-17 09:48:58

I'd use a liner at night to keep them a bit dryer. Fleece liners are good.

Most pockets you should pull the inserts out because otherwise they bunch up inside the nappy and don't wash properly.

Good luck. Happy to answer any questions if you want to PM me.

Lostinaseaofbubbles Sun 11-Jun-17 09:51:34

You're brave starting with night nappies. I started with days, graduated up to nights and then when the twins were born and I had 3 in cloth I dropped the nights and just stuck with the days (couldn't hack the laundry for 3 in cloth 24/7).

Now down to 2 in cloth and I'm still a bit intermittent on nights.

Lucked Sun 11-Jun-17 09:54:41

Always have a fleece liner. With the the inserts I mostly didn't and they came out in the wash 99% of the time. I would just empty the nappy bag inside the machine and then put the bag in as well.

For day I put in both a thin disposable liner on top of the fleece one

Lostinaseaofbubbles Sun 11-Jun-17 09:54:43

Oh, and even with a fleece liner their bum will seem wetter after a cloth night nappy than with a sposie one. As long as they aren't getting sore then it's not a problem.

If you want a waterproof layer to put on their bum, Waitrose bottom butter is ace.

Oh, and in case no one has said before, to keep your nappies nice and absorbent, use powder rather than liquid detergent and don't use fabric conditioner.

Lucked Sun 11-Jun-17 09:55:55

Yeah I gave up on nights too.

Lostinaseaofbubbles Sun 11-Jun-17 10:02:57

Just spotted this in your original thread but no, you shouldn't need to change a reusable night nappy during the night.

That said, if your child can wear a bamboozle and a motherease wrap overnight and not leak he is either very young or a very light wetter.

My night nappies are bamboozles stuffed with two hemp and one bamboo insert, and with a liner made out of an old chopped up fleece dressing gown. With either a motherease or a blueberry wrap. They last a 2yo from bedtime at 7pm till about 8am.

crazypenguinlady Sun 11-Jun-17 10:24:40

Okay thanks guys. I'll buy some fleece liners later to try. We've literally only tried it for one night, he's 3.5 months old. smile

Lostinaseaofbubbles Sun 11-Jun-17 10:39:20

That's young. Just be aware that if they start to leak you need to start boosting them more.

BendydickCuminsnatch Sun 11-Jun-17 10:44:40

Another good tip for night nappies is wool wraps. Sounds odd but they're waterproof/resistant so they don't get wet, and are breathable so allow for some of the moisture from the nappy to evaporate, unlike PUL wraps. Therefore the nappy ends up less wet in the morning than it would otherwise. You can use them over and over between washes as long as they don't get poo on! Just need a little time to air before the next wear, so are fine night after night.

GummyGoddess Sun 11-Jun-17 11:37:58

I also don't take the boosters out of the pocket nappies when they go through the wash. They used to leak until someone mentioned folding a booster inside at the front since I have a DS and he hasn't leaked since, might be useful info for when yours is older?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: