Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Washing poo from cloth nappies

(13 Posts)
SleepForTheWeek Sun 28-May-17 23:01:29

I'm due DC2 in 2 weeks and all set with little lamb nappies (pocket and 2 piece)

Can someone just go over the washing procedure - particularly with poo nappies? I remember how explosive some of DD's were!! I'll be bf so should be loose but still messy. I plan to wash the nappies altogether every day/other day but do I need to wash the soiled ones separately from the wet ones? Do I need to rinse the reusable liners and nappies if there's poo on them before I do a load? What's the best way to do this? I've got disposable liners too but I realise they are largely ineffective until baby has solid poos.

I'm imagining poo everywhere!!

Any advice greatly received smile

SleepForTheWeek Sun 28-May-17 23:08:37

Also, I'll be largely changing DC downstairs and bathroom/toilet upstairs. I have a demanding toddler too so don't want to be going upstairs to change baby every single time leaving DD downstairs

SleepForTheWeek Sun 28-May-17 23:09:18

Sorry that doesn't read right - I'll be changing the baby downstairs BUT the bathroom is upstairs

Imnotaslimjim Sun 28-May-17 23:12:48

The liners should contain most of the soiling. Hold the liners by one corner and flush in the loo to get rid of the worst then soak. Washing with an extra rinse when soiled should suffice. Wet and dirty can be washed together. Once you're in a outline you should be fine.

BikeRunSki Sun 28-May-17 23:14:25

What SlimJim said. Have you got fleece liners?

christinarossetti Sun 28-May-17 23:17:28

YY to fleece liners.

I think you'll need to go to the bathroom to change the baby though. You'll have to go up to put the soiled nappy in the bucket and wash your hands, so you might as well change the baby up there.

SleepForTheWeek Sun 28-May-17 23:17:46

I've got bamboo liners. I don't know how I would be able to shake it off though, small baby poos are really vet runny IIRC!! Even with DD on solids they aren't always solid and wild t easily just 'roll' off a liner

What do you mean by soak? I Napisan? I was planing on dry paling as heard soaking have you poo soup!

SleepForTheWeek Sun 28-May-17 23:19:58

Our bathroom is TINY - not practical to keep the bin inhere and no space to put a mat down to change. Plus, it would mean me leaving DD downstairs alone several times a day.

I'm now having doubts! Although, money already spent, so will just have to try it confused

FathomsDeepAndFallingFurther Sun 28-May-17 23:21:03

If you're breastfeeding you don't need to rise poo off the nappies first. BF poo is water soluble and won't clog the machine. You will need to if FF though.

Dry pailing is indeed the way to go. Just wait until it's full and then chuck all the wet and dirty ones in together.

christinarossetti Mon 29-May-17 08:21:24

Don't be put off, but I do think you need your changing area, running water, the toilet and the nappy bucket within close proximity

Won't your DD just follow you upstairs?

JohnLapsleyParlabane Mon 29-May-17 08:24:26

Until you wean baby there is no need to rinse the po off. Rather than a bucket you might consider a zip up wet bag (they're pretty cheap) and then you can just change baby wherever and zip up all the mess to stick in the machine later. If you like I'll pm you the washing guide that the UK cloth nappy libraries network issue to our clients.

Wonderflonium Mon 29-May-17 08:32:34

I have disposable bamboo liner sheets inside the nappy and if the baby poos, I chuck that in the disposable nappy bin. (We use disposables at night because we haven't found a dry enough feeling washable nappy yet)

Then I put the rest of the washable nappy, including pocket, into the washable nappy bin (this is an Ikea square bin with a Piriuki Waterproof Pail Bag inside)

Cineraria Mon 29-May-17 08:58:47

Yes, definitely no need to wash off breast milk poo. If you feel a bit yucky about that, use your machine's prewash before washing so the poo is rinsed away before the main wash.

If you really struggle with it, you might want to switch to disposable liners rather than giving up. Tesco's ones are great. I don't throw them, just wash in a mesh bra laundry bag and I'd say I get 5-10 washes out of each, so you could throw the dirty ones and reuse the wet ones.

The weaning poo was the worst stage, so I started putting DS on the potty at each change for a few minutes from six months and pretty soon he worked out that potty is for poo and nappy is just for wee. Great! No more poo nappies! Funnily enough, MiL said she did the same for DH and SiL and both also caught on by around eight months. She said it was pretty much standard to do that in the early 1970s before most of her friends had a washing machine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now