Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

leaking poo constantly - nearly 4 year old!

(18 Posts)
rainbowdays Tue 13-Mar-07 20:24:28

My ds is nearly 4 and whilst he knows the concept of being potty-trained, he has a problem of constant leak of poo. So after a few hours it is not just skid-marks it is a mess in his pants. Should I be worried?

MuminBrum Tue 13-Mar-07 20:27:16

That doesn't sound right. Have you talked to your GP?

colditz Tue 13-Mar-07 20:28:33

You need to take him to the doctor. That isn't normal. not to say you should be worried but it needs checking.

rainbowdays Tue 13-Mar-07 20:45:30

I have been through the paediatician, cause my ds had intermittent diahorrea for 3 months, so the paed. admitted him to hospital for checks, and of course what happened - no poo at all!!! they wanted to collect a sample - no diahorrea. I could have gone mad.

A week later ds was readmitted with gastroenteritus (he had picked it up while in hospital!!) At that time I saw a different paediatrician and pointed out that ds had not put on any weight for a year, so to pacify me they did blood tests and found ds to be severely aneamic. Which they blamed on me - saying I was obviously not feeding him enough iron (they would not listen to me saying anything different)

Still talked to dietician, and at that time we found out that ds was milk intolerant and this has obviously been causing the bleeding (had severe nappy rash with bleeding due to the runny acidic poo.

So over the last year I have spent time working on various exclusion diets and finally discovered that ds is intolerant to msg too. But I assumed that after a year that all should be back to normal, but still have this leaking going on. I am afraid to go back to the doc, as I was shown to be a "fool" last time with the non-exsistent poo and the "bad mother" with the letting my son become aneamic. I was hoping that you would all come on here and say that it happened with some of your children. But I guess I have to stop hoping it will stop by itself and go to the doctor again.

colditz Tue 13-Mar-07 20:48:07

Oh sorry love, I am, I know what you mean with hoping it will go away. keep a food diary for 2 weeks to wave in their faces.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rainbowdays Tue 13-Mar-07 20:50:35

Thanks colditz, I will do that, at least it will show that he has a good diet of nutritious home-cooked food.

CaptainCaveman Tue 13-Mar-07 20:52:13

Poor little thing - I would get him back to the gp and would quite like to slap the cheeky git of a pead who suggested you are a bad mother!!! grrr, bloody drs (although they are not all bad, I know I know!)

Something isn't agreeing with him and I would insist they at least investigate what. Constantly leaking poo is not normal. Could be a food intolerance, could be a problem with his sphincter. Don't take no for an answer until the problem resolves!
Might help to keep a diary of how often/when it happens and run a food and drink diary alongside this?

rainbowdays Tue 13-Mar-07 20:52:35

themildmanouredjanitor - yes the dietician said something about that, I had the poor boy on prunejuice for two weeks to check that out, but I suppose it could still be that, but he might need something stronger. It is definitely a trip to the GP requried at this stage now.

rainbowdays Tue 13-Mar-07 20:54:06

Captincaveman - thank you for your suggestion

Thank you all for your reassurance that I will not be "over-reacting" or the like by going back to the GP again with this.

CaptainCaveman Tue 13-Mar-07 20:55:34

Good luck - let us know how you get on?

rainbowdays Tue 13-Mar-07 20:56:10

The leaking is constant, and ofcourse it smells bad, I am concerned that it will start affecting his relationships with the other children at the playschool, they are getting to that age when they start noticing things like that. I would hate it to be affecting him socially.

Frizbe Tue 13-Mar-07 20:56:40

surely they can xray to see if poo blockage though, as per the jamie oliver programmes?

rainbowdays Tue 13-Mar-07 20:57:09

I will try to get a gp appointment tomorrow and will come back and tell you what they say.

frazzledfairy Tue 13-Mar-07 22:41:58

My ds1 had something similar to this, we went to docs and were referred to a clinic and it was indeed chronic constipation. he was given movicol and it worked wonders for him, he occasionally has the odd 'accident' but is hugely improved bless him!

even if your ds isn't constipated deffo take him back to docs

rainbowdays Thu 15-Mar-07 19:10:09

GP is referring back to paediatrician, thank you for all your help.

Frenchie420 Fri 17-Jul-09 19:13:43

My seven old has been on Senna and Lactulose since the age of three for severe and constant constipation. Lately he seems to be leaking poo all the time. He has to change his pants at least 3 or 4 times a day. I'm at the end of my tether. What should I do? Take him back to GP to be fobbed of with more senna???

JennyPenny22 Fri 17-Jul-09 23:56:40

Frenchie - yes definatly go back to the docs. It might be that he doesn't need as much anymore or something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now