Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Cloth nappies - where to start?!

(6 Posts)
SleepForTheWeek Mon 24-Apr-17 20:52:43

I really wanted to use cloth nappies with DD but DH was really not keen.

I'm currently pregnant with DC2 (due in June) and my mum offered to buy us cloth nappies as a gift so of course I jumped at the chance. I did a lot of research, and ended up choosing Little Lamb nappies. They were having a 'flash sale' so ended up getting quite a bargain for 21 nappies (£150 I think) including extra boosters and disposable liners.

I have :
12 x bamboo size 1 nappies
6 x size 1 wraps
5 x One Size pocket nappies
4 x size 1 pocket nappies

Each nappy came wth liners/boosters inside and I also bought triple layered bamboo booster (10, I think) for night time and long journeys etc. I also got a mesh laundry bag.

I'm REALLY excited to start using them but I'm a bit intimidated to be honest!

Can someone please explain the basics? When to use disposable liners? How do you store dirty ones? Do you need to completely strip them (take liners out of pocket nappies etc) when washing?

Any advice/experience welcome!

Imaginarymenagerie Tue 25-Apr-17 12:49:28

No experience here, as waiting to use cloth on DC1 who isn't due until July. I've found The Nappy Lady website really helpful for advice and she also does advice by email/phone too. I'm building up everything I think I will need.

Also, it is Real Nappy Week this week, so have a look on Facebook/Instagram/Twitter as lots of companies are running daily competitions as well as having offers on and giving away freebies with certain orders. I won a reusable wipes kit which was such a surprise as I never win anything! smile

Hopefully someone will be along soon with some first hand experience/advice for you too.

CMOTDibbler Tue 25-Apr-17 12:54:42

You don't need to use disposable liners until they are on solids (and even then, sometimes you'll find it easier to flick a poo off the fleece anyway so is a bit personal preference.

You can just put the whole nappy in the wash and usually the pocket filler will come out. At home, just lob them in the mesh bag in a bucket till you are ready to do a wash, and then put the whole bag in. Out and about use a wet bag (though for popping out I mostly just used a ziploc bag that had the reusable wipes in), and as long as you loosen the drawstring, that can go in the machine as a whole (which my friend didn't realise for 6 months)

MoominMamma3 Tue 25-Apr-17 12:57:47

Join the Babi Pur hangout on Facebook! You'll never look back!

SleepForTheWeek Tue 25-Apr-17 18:01:23

Thanks everyone.

Another question - is it the case sometimes you change a nappy you can just replace the bamboo liners? Or does the whole thing need changed?

Ditsy79 Wed 26-Apr-17 20:02:26

We got on really well with little lambs nappies. We always changed the whole nappy not just the insert as it is likely that the rest of the nappy will also be wet. You can give the wraps a wipe over and reuse them a couple of times though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now