Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

potty training disaster

(8 Posts)
PunkyFunkyMummy Wed 28-Feb-07 09:48:12

Hi, I'm trying to potty train my 2.5 yr old ds and it's just not happening. I tried when he'd just turned 2 but he didn't seem interested and it's the same now but is he not too old to still be in nappies? I feel like a complete failure and that people will think that im a bad mother or lazy. Also I've got a 3 month old dd so financially 2 lots of nappies isn't good. Please help

her Wed 28-Feb-07 09:53:36

good grief no he's not too old! you are not a bad mother OR lazy. I know lots of boys who weren't trained until over three.
what methods have you been trying? why don't you just back off for a bit, let him sit on the potty at certain times of day, try pull ups for a bit, ...

totaleclipse Wed 28-Feb-07 09:54:24

He is not too young to be in nappies at all, relax and try again in a couple of months, the average age children are ready for potty training is 3 yrs or just before.

ScottishThistle Wed 28-Feb-07 09:56:55

Boys in general aren't ready until they're nearly 3...I'd wait until the summer when he can run around clothing free, much easier that way!

PunkyFunkyMummy Wed 28-Feb-07 10:00:55

Everytime I change his nappy i ask him if he wants to sit on the potty, he usually says no but if he does he never does anything, he just says 'all done' and wants his nappy back on. I also ask him throughout the day if he want to use his potty but he says no. I tried pull ups but they didn't seem to work. I also tried using normal pants on him but it was just accident after accident and it was making him really upset.

totaleclipse Wed 28-Feb-07 10:04:36

Then stop if he is getting distressed, he clearly is'nt ready, if he is happy to sit on the potty, even if it stays empty, that is fine and a step in the right direction, praise him for it, if you try and push them before they are ready its likely to delay things further down the line, seriously he is very very young, there is plenty of time yet, as Scottish Thistle suggested, wait til the summer and try again with no pressure.

PunkyFunkyMummy Wed 28-Feb-07 10:23:59

You're right I'll wait until summer then try again, I'll keep trying him on the potty and just calm down.

totaleclipse Wed 28-Feb-07 10:27:15

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now