Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Size 6+ leaking at night, what to try next

(12 Posts)
Leicfox1 Sat 11-Feb-17 10:56:28

My son is only 10.5 months old but is 91st percentile for both weight and height, and weighs 10.75 kg (~24 lb). He's always worn bigger nappies than the suggested weight on the packets because his 'output' has always been huge, especially at night.

My problem is that he is currently in size 6 nappies during the day and 6+ during the night. Where do we go after that?! The 6+ will leak around 50% of the time at the moment - we don't change the nappy during the night to avoid disturbing his sleep/attempts to sleep.

Part of the problem is that he sleeps on his side, so the nappy leaks from the side that he has been sleeping on. We tried pull-ups but they were just as bad. Just wondered if anyone had dealt with this and had any ideas. Thanks in advance

InTheDessert Sat 11-Feb-17 12:11:23

Is the nappy full?? I might try down sizing to a 5+ if it's leaking but not full.
Or, what about using a booster and designed for resuable nappies??

Leicfox1 Sun 12-Feb-17 21:17:24

The nappies are definitely heavy in the morning, suggesting that they are full, but I wonder whether it is because he sleeps on his side that they leak. They might not be completely full and might not leak if he slept on his back all or most of the night? I don't know.

I think I have some size 5 nappies left over and will try, but I don't think that they will fit. He is a big baby.

I hadn't thought of boosters, thanks. I'll see if I can get hold of some. When he had gastroenteritis we were using cut up pieces of disposble bed mats inside his sleep bag to stop the diarrhoea soiling the bag and bed sheets, but that was just a short term solution. Boosters sound like a much better idea long term, thanks

3boys3dogshelp Sun 12-Feb-17 21:20:48

I think the nappies are too big for him so they are leaking around the leg holes. The '+' indicates extra absorbency not size so I pull try a 5+ again and see how you get on. Also try a few different brands. I have 3 boys who all ended up in different makes because they were different shapes. Tesco nappies were brilliant for my biggest ds.

helenfagain Sun 12-Feb-17 21:23:36

6+ is way too big for a child of that weight, that's why they are leaking.

SoftSheen Sun 12-Feb-17 21:24:44

I agree with pp, try a size 5+ to make sure that the fit is really snug. Pampers BabyDry are the most absorbent/least prone to leaks IME.

NannyR Sun 12-Feb-17 21:27:06

My 2 1/2 year old niece who is "sturdily built" still wears size 5+ nappies at night.

forfucksakenet Sun 12-Feb-17 21:28:21

Definitely because they're too big I'd say. DD is nearly one and a half 25 poundsish and still in size 5s

huhpuh Sun 12-Feb-17 21:30:07

My 18kg 3.5 year old wears size 6 pull ups at night - agree with everyone else, they sound too big.

wobblywonderwoman Sun 12-Feb-17 21:31:50

Too big I'd say

PotteringAlong Sun 12-Feb-17 21:34:15

Far too big! My 2.5 year old is in size 5's. put him in size 4's and see what happens.

Nan0second Sun 12-Feb-17 21:39:45

If 5 + leak then try adding cloth nappy boosters inside the nappy.
My DD would outwee a disposable easily in 3 hours in the day / 6 at night so you are not alone. We use cloth normally but use disposables on holiday.
We put a hemp trifold inside a disposable with a fleece liner over the top to keep her skin dry and then it will last 11.5 hours!
You could also try a little lamb triple layer bamboo booster folded in half at the front (in front of penis) as that may also do the trick. Both of these options will need pre washing to make them absorbent before washing unless you can borrow some from a local nappy library / get some off Facebook / eBay!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now