Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Night time training for a 2.6year old

(11 Posts)
Pennies Tue 27-Feb-07 21:18:31

DD1 has been fully potty trained in the day for 4 months now and is very aware of when she does a wee in her nappy at night and will take it off when she thinks it is wet. We put a new one back on her and she's generally OK for the rest of the night once she's really fast asleep but does occasionally take the new one off later.

We are putting her in a big bed this weekend so from then on she won't be trapped and could start to get out and use a potty if she needed to, though I appreciate this could be a little ambitious at this stage.

What I want to know is if it is just unrealistic to start night time training at this age?

If it is worth going ahead with it does anyone have any tips for minimum disruption all round?

TIA

Orinoco Tue 27-Feb-07 21:33:13

Message withdrawn

dreaminofoz Tue 27-Feb-07 21:36:55

give it a try can do no harm. My dd was dry in the day at 21 months and 3 weeks ago decided she would NOT wear a nappy for bed, al her doing not mine, shes been fine had one wet night in the first couple of days, she has a potty in her room but doesnt use it in the night and she still takes a drink of juice to bed with her, she 2.5 months now

Pennies Tue 27-Feb-07 21:39:41

Hmmmm conflicting stories there - so not much the wiser!! Good idea about leaving it till summer though Orinoco - will definitely follow that!

HelenWheels Tue 27-Feb-07 21:45:25

I'd wait until she's having some dry nappies first. Night-time dryness is not about training as such, there is a hormone which suppresses urination overnight and until that kicks in they aren't able to be dry at night. Some children are dry in the day for ages (and I mean years in some cases) before they are dry at night.

Bozza Tue 27-Feb-07 21:52:08

Well it is possible to have them dry at this age - DD is 2.9 and has been dry since the summer, so about 7 months. She did it herself. She usually goes straight through and sometimes for a couple of hours after getting up. On the very rare occasions (1x a month?) she does need to go, she will shout for us. She never gets out of bed of her own accord.

DS was older - 3.6 when we trained him at night and we did use to leave a potty in his bedroom.

Nemo2007 Tue 27-Feb-07 21:54:08

Fine to train, my DS was exactly the same. He decided at 2.2yrs no nappies in day and about 2 mths later decided he didnt want a night one so we just took it off. Had about 3 accidents and nothing since. Just have bedding ready. I tried lifting him when we went to bed but he hated it so we just left him and kept repeating about him not having a nappy on so to wee in toilet and left bathroom light on.

Nemo2007 Tue 27-Feb-07 21:54:37

just re read and see you are only just moving her into bed, wait a couple of weeks for her to settle in bed then try.

Nemo2007 Tue 27-Feb-07 21:55:24

oh also adding, DS never had dry nappies of a night he weed in them because he knew he had it on and even said so.

Troutpout Tue 27-Feb-07 21:56:16

how can you train it?
I was always told that something has to kick in. A homonal change of some sort (someone will be along in a minute to explain it properly no doubt)
I've always just left mine untill they were consistently dry every morning for a couple of weeks and then took the nappy off
ds was nearly 3
dd was 19 months
Always thought they were both v. young tbh too..i think anything up to 7 is normal.
Surely they can't do it untill they just can iykwim....they are asleep

malaleche Tue 27-Feb-07 22:04:37

I stopped putting night nappies on my 3 yo dd1 about a month after she was consistently dry all day. She was still in a bag in a cot tho so it didnt seem fair not to put a nppy on her when she couldnt get out. However eventually i suggested to her that she not wear nappies at night anymore, she agreed, we stopped using them , she had maybe 6 or 7 accidents over a couple of months and no more. I think it's a combination of being physically ready and pyschologically ready, but also, there's only one way to find out.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now