Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Tried everything - nappy rash & cloth

(7 Posts)
Shivs1974 Tue 27-Feb-07 08:05:04

DD1 has happily been in cloth (Tots Bots) until Christmas when her back molars came through..Had a series of horrendous nappy rash weeks together with thrush and we kept her in disposibles until it had cleared up. Followed the Nappy Lady's advice and washed nappies at 90, microwaved to sterilise and now give her a Probiotic supplement to help prevent any future thrush outbreaks....
All seems to be okay during the day but after a night her bottom looks like it's going to be thrush-y again....
I feel I've tried everything.....I'd really rather not put her in disposibles at nighttime - is there anything else I can try?

Roskvawantingsomesunshine Tue 27-Feb-07 09:50:42

Have you tried using a wool wrap at night? Dd has had a couple of horrendous bouts of nappy rash recently (though thankfully without thrush). I was really sceptical about using a wool wrap at first, but because it is much more breathable than PUL wraps, and allows some of the moisture to evaporate, it does help when her nappy rash is bad. And her clothes don't smell of wee.

eldestgirl Tue 27-Feb-07 09:58:53

Maybe try an extra fleece liner in the tot bot at night? Plus a layer of sudocrem.

OMGhaveswallowedanoctopus Tue 27-Feb-07 11:25:53

I would go to doctors and get a thrush treatment for her bottom first - and check it is thrush. Then a fleece liner should do the trick with a barrier cream - I prefer vaseline or metanium. I don't think its the nappies - either thrush or her reaction to being wet overnight.

claireybee Tue 27-Feb-07 12:54:07

As the others have said a fleece liner will help keep her bottom dry and prevent nappy rash (i personally like nappies that are fully fleece lined for night). Also in the morning wash her thoroughly to get rid of any concentrated night time wee traces (you can just use a damp flannel) and i usually give my lo some nappy off time both before bed and first thing in the morning, even if its just a few minutes it helps. Silk liners are meant to help clear up nappy rash. I use a fleece or airflow wrap at night to allow some evaporation and together with the fleece lining she never feels wet against her skin in the morning.hth

makesachange Tue 27-Feb-07 13:21:12

All of the advice is excellent. Silk liners work a treat to help heal the skin, but not to treat thrush so you need to treat that also.

I used to give my DS a full adult dose of acidophillus (check with your doctor or HV first ) , often mixed in with some real yoghurt (I made my own sometimes, but the shop stuff is fine as long as it's really fresh, live and unsweetened). Use plain live yoghurt, sweetened if necessary with a small bit of fruit or fruit juice, not sugar, but DS used to eat it plain. This is assuming your DD is over 6 months.

That helps to clean up internally, then a topical thrush treatment cream is required from the doctor.

Nappy off time, if possible, is of course the very best thing. Lots of towels/prefolds/terries are essential

Emma

Shivs1974 Thu 01-Mar-07 11:22:19

Thanks everyone.....dd1 had picked up a tummy bug which could explain why her bottom was red. Will definitely try fleece liners though as we had been using flushable ones at night time....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now