Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Are there any genuinely flushable nappy liners?

(14 Posts)
randombutunique Sun 22-Jan-17 14:42:37

Hi - we've been using washable nappies successfully, but I'm worried that the "flushable" liners someone suggested to us are not. We've previously had a huge plumber bill when non-baby flushable wipes clogged our pipes, and I don't want to repeat the mistake.

We have "tot bots" cellulose liners, and the fact that I can wash them without them falling apart makes me suspicious.

Are there any that are genuinely flushable? What do other people do to catch poo in the washable nappies?

savagehk Tue 31-Jan-17 18:33:47

I don't think so, could you bin them instead? We used washable liners, I'll consider disposables for the weaning transition this time round though!

AnnaBegins Tue 31-Jan-17 18:45:42

There are no flushable liners whatever the packaging says and you should really just be binning them.

PurplePidjin Tue 31-Jan-17 19:00:34

No liners are flushable in this country. Have a look for the Nappy Science Gang

user1485196412 Tue 31-Jan-17 19:03:42

There are no flushable ones unfortunately. Try using fleece- it works really well. You need a micro fleece, the ikea cheap blankets work well cut into the tight size. Then you can just flick (gross! ) poo into the toilet as it doesn't really stick to the fleece . They also keep the skin dry as they wick any wetness away. Then just wash them with the nappies.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Tue 31-Jan-17 19:04:33

No. I know someone who has kept 10 different disposable liners in water for over a year. They're all still intact. Why not just cut up some fleece and make washable ones.

CloserToFine Tue 31-Jan-17 19:08:57

I'm not sure but I've always tossed poo in the toilet from disposable nappies simply because I've never found a diaper pail that actually contains poo smells well enough. It's not that bad-- you get used to it. So the fleece method suggested by user1234567 shouldn't be too unpleasant, really.

llangennith Tue 31-Jan-17 19:09:14

No! No wipes of any sort are flushable.

greeeen Tue 31-Jan-17 19:27:19

We use the pop in flushable liners (8months now) and have never had any problems with the plumbing. Has anyone tried them are they actually not decomposing at all? Should I be changing our poo catching method? sad

savagehk Tue 31-Jan-17 19:49:09

It's not only your plumbing, it's the wider sewer system that suffers sad

savagehk Tue 31-Jan-17 19:49:11

It's not only your plumbing, it's the wider sewer system that suffers sad

babsnet Tue 31-Jan-17 20:48:32

I use little lamb nappies and the fleecy washable liners that come with them.
The poo peels off really easily into the toilet leaving just a residue on the liner. It does depend on the age of child though, pre-weaning poo doesn't peel off anything! I use to just put it all through the washing machine.

greeeen Tue 31-Jan-17 20:54:17

Well that's what I was thinking, I've seen what flushed baby wipes do and have been happily using these thinking they basically dissolve with little impact on the environment. Will be switching to this fleece idea I think.

PurplePidjin Wed 01-Feb-17 15:16:36

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/apr/21/huge-10-ton-fatberg-removed-chelsea-sewer-london?client=safari

Can you imagine being the people trying to clean this up?! shock

Don't flush anything that's not body waste or toilet paper please

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now