Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Reusable wipes - do I need a kit?

(16 Posts)
dylsmimi Sun 22-Jan-17 07:36:50

I used reusable nappies quite late with ds1 and starting to think about using them with ds2 (although may wait till warmer weather for drying outside)
I keep seeing fb ads for cheeky wipes
Has anyone used them? They have £10 off kits at the minute but I'm not sure I need a full kit with 2 boxes and bags and essential oils
I see that close bamboo and bambino mio do wipes too so do I get some of those cheaper and a Tupperware box? How many do I need? Cheeky wipes kit are 25 wipes and the others in packs of 10
Any help and advice appreciated - thanks!
Oh but please don't suggest cutting up towels etc as I know that will be cheapest but I know I won't end up doing it! smile

Yankeedoodledickhead Sun 22-Jan-17 07:42:27

I do my own. Tupperware box and pre cut squares from amazon. I think I have about a hundred (collected over time) but don't make them all up together. Make roughly half then keep the other half spare.
I use pre boiled water, it stops them from smelling musty and a few drops of lavender. I just like the smell.

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 22-Jan-17 07:53:42

I had pound land baby flannels and a mini spray bottle of water for when out so I could wet them as needed them shoved them in the wet bag with the nappy. Cheeky wipes look very pretty and everything but I really don't see the need. As for at home wipes lived dry in a basket, wet as needed and put in nappy bucket.

Kiwi32 Sun 22-Jan-17 07:55:23

I have the cheeky wipes kit and it was well worth the money. The mesh bags that fit in the 'dirty' box make washing really easy and the box lids are easy to open and close with one hand. The oils smell really lovely and mean nothing smells unpleasant even in the warmer months. I have 25 wipes which is plenty and I put in with a wash every 2-3 days. Newborn stage i washed more often but then I was washing more of everything then! The waterproof bags for taking out and about with you are brilliant too.

I have taken smaller tupperwares to use with the cloths on holiday and it just wasn't quite as easy. So, while it's possible to DIY a similar setup, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the kit again.

Hope that helps!

TheColdDoesBotherMeAnyway Sun 22-Jan-17 07:58:57

We just bought 2 packs of IKEA flannels and used small spray bottles of water with a drop of baby bath, then chucked the dirty flannels in with the nappies. Tumble drying the flannels for a few minutes softens them up if they are a little crispy off the line.

Daytona79 Sun 22-Jan-17 08:01:35

I also use cheeky wipes the hand face set and the bum wipes absolutely love them

Yeah you could make up your own sets with boxes etc but far too much hassle for me I'd rather just buy the kits

Highly recommend them

Hyggemama Sun 22-Jan-17 08:01:48

We have the cheeky wipes, about 25. I keep a jar of water in the change bag and wet them as and when I need to. Then dry her off with larger rags I cut from an old bed sheet and put them straight in the machine or a waterproof bag if we are out. It works well for us but probably so would any brand of reusable wipes.

ispymincepie Sun 22-Jan-17 08:03:35

Cheeky wipes are fab but we never use the boxes! I just wet them as I need them at home and stick a handful in one of the 'fresh' bags for going out. Any wetbag would do though. Maybe just buy the wipes?

EsmesBees Sun 22-Jan-17 08:08:11

I just had the cheeky wipes. Didn't bother with the pack. They are great. Wash well and the colours are still strong 1 year on. I just keep them in a box at home or in the changing bag when out. I send them in to nursery and they send the dirty ones back in nappy bags.

dylsmimi Sun 22-Jan-17 08:09:01

Thanks everyone - that's really helpful. I have until the end of the month to buy the cheeky wipes kit if I want but I like the idea of keeping them dry and just wetting when needed - with children in the house I find the less containers of water with spill potential the better!

natienka Sun 05-Mar-17 07:24:48

Helpful advice, i wanted to go for the kit but now wondering about just the wipes and wet bags. Is the point of keeping them wet before use that they're softer or sth? And the box for mucky ones also has essential oil, just to make them not smelly or improves softness as well?

cheeeeselover Sun 05-Mar-17 07:28:28

I used the kit and it was really easy. I suppose you could make up your own like others have suggested by I'd say the kit is worth the money

OpalFruitsMarathonsandSpira Sun 05-Mar-17 07:36:54

I just used the cheeky wipes (no kit) in smalishl quantities. Wet them with tap water and folded them into each other so the dispensed easily from a box like this.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302231545629

I used bum genius and after changing I disposed of poo down the toilet and wrapped them tightly with wipes inside (the same as a disposable) and put them in nappy bin.

Rubber gloves and clothes pegs when it came to washing them!

They clean the bum so well! I loved real wet wipes.

natienka Sun 05-Mar-17 08:24:32

Haha the gloves and pegs were to avoid smell and touching I assume? smile sounds good to me! What's bum genius??

OpalFruitsMarathonsandSpira Sun 05-Mar-17 10:46:39

Bum genius is a brand of real nappy. Pricey, but if you do your sums it works out cheaper for one baby and lasts for multiple babies! (If you can afford the initial outlay).

Many councils give a small grant (used to anyway ours was £30) towards the initial outlay and some have a real nappy 'library' where you borrow a range of samples to see which you like best.

Bum genius is designed like a disposable (Velcro or poppers - not like the terry towel ones our parents would have used on us).

Also you can get them pre loved in eBay. I have no issues with this but OH was not happy to do that and I was not arsed enough to use a picked battle up on it! grin

watermelongun Sun 05-Mar-17 10:54:03

I bought three screw top pots from the £ shop, and a few packets of £ shop 'face cloths' which are very thin squares of material - they come in packs of 6 I think. I used boiled water, chamomile teabag with a splash of olive oil and a small scoop of coconut oil in the pots and pack it with the face cloths. Just chuck cloths in with a nappy wash. My DC3 had terrible nappy rash before I started using washable wipes - cleared up in days after I used this recipe and never came back! I wouldn't bother with a kit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now