Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Wraps for Terry Squares?

(22 Posts)
asgreenasicanbe Sat 24-Feb-07 10:54:36

We used terry squares for our first two children with Popolino Wraps. The nappies are still fine, but the wraps are all worn out - we need to get more wraps for the new baby but as it is a few years since we bought any, things have probably moved on a bit! Can anyone recommend some wraps or waterproof pants?

TooTicky Sat 24-Feb-07 10:55:51

I find Nature Babies wraps are very good. You can buy them new or used on ebay.

eviletc Sat 24-Feb-07 10:55:54

i think it will depend on the shape of your lo, as well as what kind of you use, but i use totsbots and motherease rikkis over my terry squares and they all fit fine....
my dd is a skinny malink though

eviletc Sat 24-Feb-07 10:56:22

*what kind of fold that should say

asgreenasicanbe Sat 24-Feb-07 11:34:35

I used the kite fold mostly, although I have heard that with some wraps you can just fold into thirds and tuck in...

eviletc Sat 24-Feb-07 13:54:35

can't figure that one out meself

this is my favourite fold...

asgreenasicanbe Sat 24-Feb-07 22:03:55

Thanks - it looks nice and easy, I'll give it a go

eidsvold Sun 25-Feb-07 03:41:35

use nature babies wraps here too. I just used the kite fold with dd2 and when she was a newborn - origami or chinese fold and muslins.

Boomally Sun 25-Feb-07 17:12:14

I think the kite fold for terry nappies is best, with plastic pants from Boots.

makesachange Sun 25-Feb-07 17:46:31

I think that wraps are better than pants as they're more adjustable, and usually made from a soft cotton fabric rather than plastic.

Mother-ease Airflow wraps will probably NOT be suitable, ditto the equivalent Popolino, because they're quite loose and although terries don't need to be held in place like prefolds they still usually fit better on a fitted wrap. Most others will, though, so I would suggest buying a few different ones so that you have different styles to fit at different growth times.

Emma

eidsvold Mon 26-Feb-07 01:03:12

plastic pants also fab - easier to get hold of here in Aus than wraps so used lots of those too. So cheap I had enough for a new one each nappy change.

Boomally Mon 26-Feb-07 08:23:10

I have to say Boots plastic pants, which are very soft and lightweight, are ideal for use over terry nappies, and very cheap at about £2.60 for six pairs. Mothercare also do them, probably more expensive, which may be better quality, but I have no problems with the Boots ones.

makesachange Mon 26-Feb-07 14:06:44

Sorry to repeat myself but I don't like plastic pants because:

- Fit isn't as good as wraps
- I wear cotton undies. I think my child should, too. Plastic pants just don't breathe as well as PUL wraps.

'Course they're much cheaper than wraps, but the advantages are great.

Emma

mummyhill Mon 26-Feb-07 14:23:14

Ok this is may favourite fold for ds here We use plastic pants at night cause they work well for our super soaker and fit over any nappy. durring the day I use a variety of wraps totsbots, mothersease, popo.

KatyR Mon 26-Feb-07 14:42:50

I think you are answering a question I have here.... I have a huge number of terry squares, that were folded into thirds and put inside a woollen outer wrap when my little sis was a baby. Now I have my own baby I have the squares and the woollen pants, but they have got old and the leg holes aren't stretchy enough to make a good fit round my dd's thighs so wee (or worse) leaks out very easily. I have bought some Bambino Mio wraps to put them in which works a lot better. Its made of PUL breathable fabricy feeling plastic... My question is (and sorry to hijack this thread in any way) what are all these folding things you people are talking about? Are my thirds out of date?!

MrsCurly Mon 26-Feb-07 14:56:20

I'm going to have to disagrre with Emma/Makes a Change, as I use both Motherease Airflow and Motherease Rikki wraps with my terries, with no problems at all, and would strongly reccomend both. They look comfortable, and have only leaked twice I think, which was probably more to do with slack folding than the wrap.

You can buy them new from lots of places, but I'd reccomend nappymania.co.uk as you don't pay p&p, so you can just buy one at a time, if you want to experiment. Or buy them second hand - here or ebay, or I've had very good experiences with the classified section on the nappylady website.

makesachange Mon 26-Feb-07 15:29:48

MrsCurly - a well- folded terry with a good fitting nippa should be ok under an Airflow, but sometimes it slips which is why I suggest using Rikkis or similar fitted wraps instead. That's not to say that airflows are a bad choice, as clearly you're getting on great with them (and they're a super wrap, aren't they), but that's why I advise using something different, going on statistical responses from hundreds of nappy users I've advised

Oh, and we don't charge P&P either, and we have a 10% mumsnet discount.

mummyhill Mon 26-Feb-07 16:47:55

KatyR if you go to the links on folding and scroll down to the bottom you will see forward and back buttons which show about 15 different ways of folding terry nappies including your thirds.

lexcat Mon 26-Feb-07 18:59:10

I have to go with the motherease rikki. Use to use with my dd (now 5). I tried quite a few different wraps but never found any better.
Mostly used the kite fold and always used nappi nipper hated the idea of pins.

eidsvold Mon 26-Feb-07 21:22:59

here in Aus - the wraps aren't as good as the ones you get in the UK - I only had some natures babies left over from dd1. Never had any problem with plastic pants - and that is through an aussie summer. Given that I did not leave dd2 in wet nappy etc to swelter and get yuk. She was changed pretty swiftly. Never had problem with nappy rash, thrush or anything like that.

Fit was fine - no leaks, no problems. Dd2 did not feel the plastic - just the cloth nappy.

Boomally Tue 27-Feb-07 07:46:30

The important thing is to buy plastic pants large enough to cover the whole nappy, and if you run your fingers around the leg openings to ensure all the nappy is inside the pants, you make a nice snug fit and will not get any leaks.

Boomally Thu 01-Mar-07 07:58:04

eidsvold, you say the wraps in aus are'nt as good as the ones in the uk, but a friend of mine living in Perth put me on to www.nappiewash.com.au and these waterproof pants look pretty good to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now