Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

want to start potty training but new baby is on the way in 4 weeks time - any advice

(6 Posts)
Mistiek Fri 23-Feb-07 21:43:31

Hello,
Need some Advice. DS1 is now 2.1 and has previously shown intrest in the potty and the toilet but that only lasted a few weeks. He was doing really well and was given loads of praise but soon got bored with it all. As he never has been one to mind being wet or dirty I am worried I will really battle to get him potty trained.

I have now been told by friends not to bother just yet as DD is arriving in about 4 weeks time and have been told that its a waste of time to try anything now as when the new baby arrives he will just want to revert back to nappies.

Is this true and can anyone give me any advice please...

sassy Fri 23-Feb-07 21:45:23

Wait. You will be too distracted when new baby comes to ask him about toilet every 5 mins. He is quite young anyway.

My dds have the same gap as your 2 - we trained dd1 when she was 2.5 and dd2 was 3mo. That was fine.

gemmiegoatlegs Fri 23-Feb-07 21:58:44

i agree, exactly same age gap, and trying to train ds when dd was about 8 weeks was a pain in thebackside. we put it on hold and tried again when dd was 4 months with not one single accident. it's one of those things that seems awful "two in nappies" but far better to wait until everyone's comfortable in the new routine. I guarantee in 6 months you'll wish ds was back in nappies every time u get in the car and he says "i need a Weeeeeeee"

funnypeculiar Fri 23-Feb-07 22:04:48

I'd defn wait - 2.1 sounds quite early for a boy... and I found the first 2 weeks of potty training EXHAUSTING - really not what you ned right now,imho.
Ds was giving me signals about 4 weeks before my due date with dd. I put cotton wool in my ears. Worked a treat.

pucca Fri 23-Feb-07 22:07:34

Well, my dd was 2.5 when i tried to potty train her (and 32 weeks pg) and it went pear shaped, she just wasn't ready at that time.

I ended up leaving it until after ds was born and when he was 2 weeks old she just decided she was ready and it was easy peasy! about a week later she came out of night time nappies and never looked back!

hth

Mistiek Sat 24-Feb-07 11:46:13

thanks eveyone for the advice - I think I will definately wait until we are all in a routine with our new little arrival...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now