Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Uncomfortable Potty and scared of big toilet!! Help

(13 Posts)
JPM Thu 22-Feb-07 21:02:43

I'm just starting potty training with my dd (2 nearly 3) and she's inherited 2 potties from her big brother and a cushioned toilet seat - so plenty of choice! But she won't pee or poo in the potty or on the toilet. We have had rounds of her sitting on the potty (for up to 10 mins sometimes!) because she's said that she wants to go but once shes sitting she just cant seem to go!! She keeps complaining that the potty is hurting her and she just can't seem to sit comfortable on either of them. Have tried the 'big toilet' with the cushioned seat but she look like a rabbit caught in headlights and I think this move is a bit daunting for her at the moment. I'm pretty sure she's just scared of letting go on the potty. I've had her in just knickers around the house since Monday and on day 3 she started saying that she wanted to go a wee (as opposed to just wetting herself as the previous days) but once sat down she changes her mind and just can't seem to go!! Do you think she's not ready? I don't want to scare her into psychological problems with this but would really like to get her trained soon. Do you think I should percevere? What has worked for you?? Any advice would be great right now as I'm close to giving up...again!!!

Heavenis Thu 22-Feb-07 21:09:07

I'd give her a few more days.

Let her get used to seeing the potty and even sit on it when she doesn't need to go.

If she is telling you she needs to wee then she knows the feeling.

Does she see you using the toilet ?

Just lost of gentle encouragement I think.

noonar Thu 22-Feb-07 21:14:02

we have a potty chair thing from mothercare, which is fab.

noonar Thu 22-Feb-07 21:16:11

ps dont give up. however ready they are, they still need to learn new habits. if she's nearly three, the potty may be too low for her. try mothercare

ScottishThistle Thu 22-Feb-07 21:21:24

You could try just holding her over the potty so it's not hurting her, my present charge complained about the potty being uncomfortable too...which it is if you have a bum with no meat on it!

Keep going though because she's ready!...Read a book, offer treats!

Heavenis Thu 22-Feb-07 21:23:06

mothercare potty chairs

madmarchhare Thu 22-Feb-07 21:23:33

let her choose her own potty, then wave the chocolate buttons in her general direction

tracyk Thu 22-Feb-07 21:24:53

My ds did the same. It took him 4 or 5 days of sitting for a nano second on the toilet and jumping off saying he'd finished! Then being quite distressed if I tried to put him back on.
I ended up buying a load of dinosaur stickers which got the ball rolling.

JPM Thu 22-Feb-07 21:50:17

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think we'll take a trip to mothercare tomorrow so she can coose her own potty seat and stock up on the bribery aids !!

adath Thu 22-Feb-07 22:28:20

The potty I had was not this one
but similar

It is comfy for the older child using it and it comes apart into a potty seat and a step so may make the transition from potty to toilet less daunting.

makesachange Fri 23-Feb-07 18:01:02

Another vote for potty chairs. Def go for the ones which convert to steps when they're able to go to the big loo.

Little pottys are pointless for many, many toddlers, for whom they are too darned small.

PLUS (and it's a BIG plus!)

Little potties are FAR too easy to pick and throw around after use (luuurvely)

Emma

Mumfun Sat 24-Feb-07 16:34:48

THis one made all the difference to DS as he was exactly the same position as your child

http://www.johnlewis.com/Nursery/Baby+Essentials/Baby+Essentials/Potty+Training/587/230161208/Product.aspx

hth

adath Sun 25-Feb-07 07:34:00

That safety first one was the one I was trying to find, that is the one we have. In honesty I couldn't remember that it was a safety first one and was too lazy to go upstairs and look lol.
It did make a huge difference here too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now