Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Looking for the slimmest fit nappy+ wrap combo pleeeeese

(41 Posts)
frenchleave Wed 21-Feb-07 21:34:07

Until now I've been using size 1 Bamboozles with Rikki wraps, but DS has now grown out of them and before I fork out a fortune in size 2 nappies I'd love a few opinions. I live in France where baby clothes are generally cut much slimmer than in the UK so it is really hard to find nice trousers that fit over cloth and allow him to sit comfortably without cutting him in half. He's in dungarees most of the time as a result but even these can be a bit of a squeeze, and although he's nicely chubby he's no sumo.

So I really need a very slim fit nappy (which is of course non-leaky, etc etc)

So what is, in your opinion, the trimmest fitting nappy and wrap combination out there?

frenchleave Thu 22-Feb-07 09:35:33

Anyone?

Gotta be a wambamboo, probably still with a rikki

Astrophe Thu 22-Feb-07 09:50:59

These Weenees pouch pants are the trimmest nappy I have ever seen, its one of the best things about them. They are not too much bigger than disposables.

I use them with pieces of Hemp Fleece fabric from www.babeco.co.uk, cut into large rectangles and folded in thirds then in half and put in the nappy. At £7.50 a metre its very good value - makes 6-ish nappies. They dry quickly too.

I have had some problems with leaks, but Lollipops have just said they will replace them (the waterproof bits) as they must have been faulty...so now there is NOTHING to stop me recomending this system...its wonderful (Lovely range of colours too!)

Astrophe Thu 22-Feb-07 09:53:08

Sorry, this is a better link with pictures of how they work

fairysnuff Thu 22-Feb-07 10:07:08

I use Fuzzi Bunz Stuffables and they are almost as neat as disposables. Would HIghly recomend.
My DD is only 5 months and we have been using them for a while. So for leakage ,on runny poo, is never a prob.

makesachange Thu 22-Feb-07 13:08:08

Swaddlebees pockets are the slimmest pocket nappies around, but they're a three size system so you would probably need to buy two more sets (although you may be able to get away with just the large size, depending on how big he is now). Like other pockets, Fuzzi, etc, they're not great for heavy wetter and if you're used to the absorbancy of a Bamboozle, you may not find either of these quite enough.

A good option is the Swaddlebees organic velour with a Rikki wrap. They're cut slimmer than most separates, but are very absorbant. The soaker is still sown in, though, like a Bamboozle, but they are very neat. And very eco friendly and skin friendly!

Wambamboos (Bambineos) are more versatile than Bamboozles because you can take out the booster. They're not cut as trim as Swaddlebees, but the fabric is a little slimmer anyway. If you like Bamboozles, you'll love Bambineos.

I'm just waiting for stock of the new Bambineo packs which may be worthwhile looking at - 15 nappies, wraps to match in a design similar to Rikki but made from Bamboo (wahay!) and gorgeous liners which are cut to actually fit into a nappy!!

Emma

claireybee Thu 22-Feb-07 16:31:56

I have to agree, wambamboos with a rikki wrap. Swaddlebees are v slim fitting but a bit much so for my dd and had lots of leaks. Fuzzi bunz better leak wise but still dont have the containment of a two part system. Oh if you are in France you just have to get a ptit dessous bamboo-v slim, v v soft and just gorgeous on! The other ptit dessous are meant to be slim too but i havent been able to try them due to the extremely high shipping costs to the uk(boo hisssss)

frenchleave Thu 22-Feb-07 16:37:04

Thanks all, I've never tried pocket nappies and they sound great, but I'm a bit put off by the cost of starting again with a whole new system (not to mention retraining the DH ). So I think the Wambamboos/bambineos are the way to go.

Rikki wraps are trimmer than Airflows are they?

Emma @ makesachange - I'm having problems browsing your site - it doesn't want to show me the nappy pages . Your new packs sound great especially the wraps! When are you expecting them in? I need to order in the next few days so my parents can bring them when they come...

frenchleave Thu 22-Feb-07 16:38:50

Claireybee - I'd seen the p'tits dessous and wondered if they were as slim as they say - maybe I'll try those too. I'm going to end up with far more than I need and I thought I'd managed to avoid getting addicted to nappy shopping

makesachange Thu 22-Feb-07 16:52:38

Hi Frenchleave,

Our site is currently broken (deep breath) and I'm struggling to get our webhost to fix it (deep breath).

I'm not sure when the packs will be in but it won't be for another couple of weeks... certainly not the next couple of days, I'm really sorry.

The alternative is a standard pack of WBB with Mother-ease or Tots wraps. I can put together a package for you if it's of interest (with a mumsnet discount of course ).

In the meantime I am going to take another deep breath, have a cup of tea with sugar and try not to get too stressed that noone can use our website.

Emma

frenchleave Thu 22-Feb-07 16:58:04

oh goodie - what's the Mumsnet discount? I'd like a couple of WBBs to try and some bigger wraps.

I've managed to get around the broken bit of your site and have what I want in my cart, will it work if I order?

claireybee Thu 22-Feb-07 17:12:00

Ha ha! It's impossible to avoid getting addicted once you start shopping around! I really like my ptit dessous-just wish i could get the night time one over here :-(
It stays really soft and so far mine hasnt gone crispy in the wash at all. does take a while to dry though...

frenchleave Thu 22-Feb-07 17:16:51

Which one have you got? I've just been looking at the P'tit Toudou bio, which they say is even slimmer than their classic design. Are they good at containment? DS is breastfed.

claireybee Thu 22-Feb-07 17:25:04

I have the original bamboo which is v slim, although a different shape to the wbb(if comparing the two its probably more like the shape of a bamboozle but much slimmer). there is also a fleece lined bamboo for night. I havent tried the bio but if its anything like the bamboo it will be good

makesachange Thu 22-Feb-07 17:25:28

French,

Well I THINK so.

I think it's all fixed (pass the wine please!!)

Mumsnet discount is 10% - just use order code "mumsnet" at checkout :-)

If you do order, and need by a specific time (ie to get there before your parents leave) let me know so I can make sure it happens.

* relief *

Emma

claireybee Thu 22-Feb-07 17:26:23

oh sorry, yes containment is good, just as long as you get it tight enough around the leg-like any shaped nappy really. The poppers give a good range

frenchleave Thu 22-Feb-07 18:03:27

Emma - done! With a note specifying when I'd like it all delivered by, hope it's possible for you. Get that wine down your neck!

Now, I wonder if the budget will stretch to a couple of P'tits Toudous as well...just for research purposes of course

sleepycat Fri 23-Feb-07 14:45:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Astrophe Fri 23-Feb-07 16:34:02

MAKESACHANGE I have a thread about night time mappies at the mo...what do you think about using folded hemp squares inside tots fleece wraps? I'm looking for a night nappy solution - we have used fuzzibunz pocket nappies and they haven't worked out - not good for poo conmtainment.

I use Weenees Pouch pants during the day and would like to use the hemp cloths we use in those inside a different wrap for night. I love the funky tots wraps! Was thinking I might try using them over the hemp, with a view to buying another (bamboo?) shaped nappy if the hemp cloths don't work out. Your thoughts (as you seem to be a bit of a pro!)?

makesachange Fri 23-Feb-07 17:55:33

Nappy pro - shame it doesn't pay as well as a Wimbledon pro

On the one hand hemp is very absorbant, so could work overnight. On the other hand I prefer a shaped nappy overnight to give greater protection around the legs and up the back. A gently elasticated shaped nappy holds in quite a lot, whereas just a folded pad can only absorb liquid, not -um- explosions

Also, hemp can go quite hard if line dried and not tumbled - not necessarily good when you want a comfy overnight nappy.

However, I can't see you losing anything by trying it as you can use them in the WN pants during the day... please do let me know how you get one!

Oh and one final thing, Tots fleece wraps really only work when there's plenty of absorbancy. In that case they're brilliant, but if the nappy gets soaked they will leak through. In addition they're not really designed to work with a folded nappy, although they are fitted enough that they should be able to work ok, but if they're a slightly loose fit (over the nappy, not the waist) they do allow a better airflow - and really you need a wrap that's not too loose over a folded nappy to keep it in place... so I have reservations about that.

Emma

Astrophe Fri 23-Feb-07 23:59:33

Thanks Emma...food for thought. Can you think of a different wrap that might be better? Tots PUL wraps? Something else? I guess aplix would be better than poppers to get it tight...

Ivor Sat 24-Feb-07 01:02:33

cloth nappies
A friend of mine has used this web site and raves about it. The preston's pants are sooo cute.
The lady who runs the site is also megga helpful.

alfiesmum Sat 24-Feb-07 09:10:01

just looked on that site and agree prestons pants look lovely, not so sure about Robin's fanny fluff!

maisiemog Sat 24-Feb-07 10:20:56

My little boy is out of day nappies now, but I always liked either a hemp shaped nappy - I have quite a few US Wahm nappies in hemp.
Ella's house is a slim fitting hemp nappy,, which might fit the bill. I didn't get on with them personally, because they are narrow in the crotch, which isn't the best for runny poop (sorry tmi 0)
Swaddlebees have a nice hemp fitted nappy, but they are a bit pricey (£9.50 from Kittykins), and there are some gorgeous slim-fitting velour Swaddlebees for a bit more than the hemp version - they have a velour inner - so nice and soft, but have a hemp insert, so you get the absorbency as well.
For days I used either woollybacks wraps - which are only one layer, so pretty slim, or bumpy wool - again fit real neatly.
The PUL wraps I used were cotton bottoms/ bummis superwhisper - these are quite slim cut wraps, but are great for trim nappies - I used to think if the nappy wouldn't go under the bummis wrap, it was too big/bulky for my taste. :0)
Another very slim and absorbent nappy is clwt-twt, it is a slim cut between the legs and not bulky in the bum or over the hips and is available in bamboo - but the cotton version works very well.
I used to love dizzy diapers for neatness, but the containment wasn't the best, so not good if your baby is prone to poo explosions. The stuffable version can be used for nights as well.
What else??
Oh and Robin's Fanny Fluff - ridiculous name, but the nappies are lovely - my friend has a custom pocket nappy from that wahm and it's gorgeous.
I'll post if I think of something else.
Hope that helps. )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now