Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Swim nappies - Which are the best? Advice please

(18 Posts)
jenny260906 Tue 20-Feb-07 10:53:17

I would like to take my 4 month son swimming but i'm not sure on which swimming nappies to buy - disposables or reusables? and which makes are the best.

He weighs 14lbs

Anyone used swim nappies and able to give their opinion?

Many thanks!

makesachange Tue 20-Feb-07 11:16:47

Hi Jenny,

There's another thread running about this as we were trying to decide which to stock, and also I'm doing an article for my NCT newsletter about swim nappies. You can find the thread here.

We went for the Happy Nappy which is made from thin neoprene (like a wetsuit), so very grippy (wet babies are slippy!) and helps to keep heat in. They are supposed to be excellent because they stop even breastfed poo from getting into the water, which nets just don't do.

The disadvantage is that you can't open them like a nappy, so if there is a poo situation you need to pull them down which is trickier to deal with. However you can use a paper liner inside which helps.

You can use a disposable nappy inside them - MissGolightly suggested if they're just wet you can dry them and re-use them. This has the advantage that you're collecting more wee before it goes in the water, but you have the poo protection from the Happy Nappy.

That's what we're doing, but in the immortal words of the BBC "other nappy brands are available"

Check out the other thread and I'm sure you'll get more responses from other people!

Happy Swimming!

Emma, Makes a Change

thehairybabysmum Tue 20-Feb-07 11:17:30

i use Boots own brand disposables...v. good no problems.

I also used a reuseable when he was smaller, one of the neoprene type ones with elastic cuffs. Not as easy to get on/off but otherwise no probs too.

jenny260906 Tue 20-Feb-07 11:18:37

Many thanks for you reply! I will have a nosey on the other thread then!

Thanks!

jenny260906 Tue 20-Feb-07 11:31:39

makesachange....

Does the baby just wear those happy nappies as they are or do they wear something underneath?

robbosmum Tue 20-Feb-07 12:00:48

Hi,
we go to waterbabies, they have a shop online, and they insist on happy nappy and a swim nappy, seems to contain everything really well. Just a note of advice, proper swimming pools are really cold for los,,,check your pool temp, as you may need to buy a baby swim suit, my lo was in the learning pool for 5 mins and was navy blue, we did complain about temp just to be given some guff about chemicals etc, but they did confess to have lowered the temp in the pool
ps i dont work for waterbabies,,
happy swimming

thehairybabysmum Tue 20-Feb-07 12:13:01

The only poo my LO has done was in teh dispossable and it held it in fine (was breast fed poo too).

Personally i dont see the point of using a disposable and a reuseable together (especially as the re-useables are expensive)...surely you go for one system or the other???

Would agree that pool can sometimes be chilly, my local pool has a couple of sessions per week for disabled people where they warm the pool up so if i then go to a public session after this it is nice and warm.

Also at 4 months you may only end up being in water for 15-20 mins before they get chilly or fed up.

The other thing i did was went along to one of the private baby swimming sessions for a free taster, this showed me the holds to use and some ideas for what to do. The lessons were £8.00 per half hr which i personally didnt think was worth it so after using free session to bulid my confidence in what to do then just went to local public pool with my friend.

Enjoy anyway....my DS (now 14 mths) loves going!

amidaiwish Tue 20-Feb-07 12:33:04

can you send me a link to happy nappies?
Thanks

madmarchhare Tue 20-Feb-07 12:38:20

We use a huggies disposable 'little swimmers'(?) one with a happy nappy over the top. The pool we go to insists on this as they have had 'incidents' when only one or the other has been worn.

The disposable on its own does tend to sag a bit after a while.

madmarchhare Tue 20-Feb-07 12:40:39

I got DSs from here

makesachange Tue 20-Feb-07 16:44:34

Happy Nappy Swim Nappies

Using both a disposable and Happy Nappy means you've got an iron clad baby's bottom however the Happy Nappy on its own is just fine and works brilliantly. It also helps keep baby warmer and less slippery.

Many swim schools are insisting on them now with more in the pipeline.

Emma

makesachange Tue 20-Feb-07 16:46:22

Jenny - the Happy Nappies can be worn on their own and designed for this.

The disposable underneath is optional, and just makes handling a poo a bit easier if you're not used to washable nappies.

Otherwise, a standard clothie paper liner inside is fine.

Emma

Muminfife Tue 20-Feb-07 17:19:32

Message withdrawn

jenny260906 Tue 20-Feb-07 19:41:38

Would you recommend them wearing a wet suit? We have been advised that the pool temperature is 31 degrees.

tassis Tue 20-Feb-07 19:44:01

I like the washable swim nappies that mothercare, BHS, boots etc stock. They have a sort of terry lining.

Muminfife Tue 20-Feb-07 20:30:17

Message withdrawn

robbosmum Tue 20-Feb-07 20:47:44

31 is very cold for a 4 mths old as they aren't moving much themselves. I would definately consider a wetsuit

UniSarah Tue 20-Feb-07 22:03:24

I like the konfidence.com double nappy system. its a lot like the happy nappy but made in cornwall.
So boy wears a washable swim nappy that is very adjustable and konfidence.com claim fits 3month-3 years and a nappicover made of neoprene ( like the happy nappy). No pooh can escape and any he does is in the inner nappy which unpoppers flat to make clean up easy.

Our local pool is 30-31 degrees and i use a babywarma wetsuit ( also konfidence.com). even with that on him I have to watch he doesn't get too cold and if he does get him out.
Wet suit does make it lot easier to hold him when wet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now