Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Poll: What was the main reason you decided to use cloth nappies instead of disposable?

(76 Posts)
JoshandJamie Mon 19-Feb-07 14:46:20

- cost
- environment
- comfort
- health
- other (please say what it was)

Thank you

TrinityRhino Mon 19-Feb-07 14:47:17

Cost and comfort for my kids

sorry, not very eco friendy but the truth

Rhian101 Mon 19-Feb-07 15:00:28

-environment (most important)
-other - smug self-satisfaction
-cost
-health
-comfort

pelvicflawed Mon 19-Feb-07 15:02:12

Environment (as I studied env.sci at uni the guilt of using disposables was too much!!!). Cost and health were other factors as well as knowing I aways had a stock of nappies in and didn't keep wondering if I had to go the shops and stock up!

MrsWaggsnapps Mon 19-Feb-07 15:13:42

chemicals against DSs skin
Environment
My mum nagging me

NAB3 Mon 19-Feb-07 15:15:38

Environment
Cost
No chemicals near baby's delicate bits
SO much nicer and cuter than disposables.

Muminfife Mon 19-Feb-07 15:33:27

Message withdrawn

IntergalacticDave Mon 19-Feb-07 15:36:04

1. Cost and environment in equal measure
2. comfort
3. Never run out of bloody nappies!
$. They look so cute running round with a huge bloth nappy on!

PinkTulips Mon 19-Feb-07 15:36:09

cost, the environment, loved the look of them, seemed kinder on their bums, because my mom laughed at the idea so i stubbornly did it anyway

pelvicflawed Mon 19-Feb-07 15:38:31

Forgot to say I'm a lazy cow and got fed up taking Sh*y nappies to the outside bin in the rain - couldn't stand having them in the kitchen bin (well not the poo ones!!)

yomellamoHelly Mon 19-Feb-07 15:49:17

Nr 1 reason for dh agreeing to fork out the cost of them was environment.
For me was no more stinky and, lately, overflowing (now we have 2 in nappies) bins needing emptying every day - especially in this weather.
Also couldn't find a disposable that didn't give ds2 horrible rashes around his legs.
Cost issue also great - will pay them off in 6 months - even if it's meant short-term pain.

Had visions that reusables were hard work and not as absorbant as disposables. Find them really easy actually - you just need a system for getting them washed and have found them more reliable than disposables in terms of leaks.

My mum and mil, though, are horrified at our decision.

bitzermaloney Mon 19-Feb-07 16:04:06

I have just changed to cloth nappies (bumbles) after a trial period.

Main reasons = cost, comfort, more reliable at containing whatever my ds produces (we had been through lots of different disposables and I got sick of having to change his clothes several times a day due to bf poo explosions. Now we are weaning it is not such an issue though.

Also I think there is just something lovely about wrapping ds's bum in soft terry and fleece. DH reckons it's my hormones .

Miaou Mon 19-Feb-07 16:05:26

Cost was the main one. Environment comes a close second. I reckon I have saved a king's ransom!

hunkermunker Mon 19-Feb-07 16:08:26

Do any of you clothers work full time, have two in nappies, a pretty useless tumble dryer, no drying space indoors or airing cupboard?

purpleturtle Mon 19-Feb-07 16:09:21

not contributing to landfill
and they look cute

Caligula Mon 19-Feb-07 16:09:39

Money

purpleturtle Mon 19-Feb-07 16:09:56

No, hunkermunker.
And we didn't say that anyone who did should be using cloth, either.

hunkermunker Mon 19-Feb-07 16:12:31

Wasn't implying you'd said that - I was just interested.

<<knits lentils>>

Caligula Mon 19-Feb-07 16:15:48

Well I was working ft for DS's nappies, but xp was at home nominally doing the housework.

There was no hanging space, but we had a fab tumbledryer.

For DD, I worked ft most of the time, but had au-pair. I did the washing though. But tbh I find washing nappies easier than any other laundry - you don't have to sort it by colour, fabric etc., you just empty the bucket out and bung the nappies in. Easy. I do have hanging space though (one of those over the bath hangers)

Caligula Mon 19-Feb-07 16:16:39

What d'you mean by crap tumbledryer? A condensor? I had one of those, and never again. I now have a proper vented one and it takes about a third of the time

hunkermunker Mon 19-Feb-07 16:17:57

It's a washer-dryer, so yes, a condensor. And if it's drying, it can't be washing.

purpleturtle Mon 19-Feb-07 16:18:39

Whereas I can sit at home all day, and still not get round to putting a load in the machine.

i know my daytime telly though

hunkermunker Mon 19-Feb-07 16:19:40

LOL PT - so do I - that's what I watch at work

hunkermunker Mon 19-Feb-07 16:20:02

For professional reasons, you understand

Muminfife Mon 19-Feb-07 16:21:44

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now