Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

1st day of potty training and I think she is stopping herself from weeing

(22 Posts)
margo1974 Sat 17-Feb-07 19:37:33

Any suggestions?

No accidents and she has sat on the potty a few times today.

she sits on the toilet in the morning and night but doesn't wee. there's no pressure. I say "oh well maybe next time. won't it be good when you do a wee on the toilet though"

But she didn't even wee in her nappy when she went to bed for a nap. She has had water and milk today as well.

She has been complaining of a sore tummy and wants me to rub it

Help!

margo1974 Sat 17-Feb-07 20:10:15

bump

tutu100 Sat 17-Feb-07 20:18:07

my son seems to hold his wee when I'm trying to toilet train him. He won't wee without a nappy on and can hold it for hours, but as your daughter is complaining of tummy ache it might be worth taknig her to the doctors to check she hasn't got a uti. She's not constipated is she?

malaleche Sat 17-Feb-07 20:21:45

Turn the tap on whie she's sitting there or pour warm water over her privates through her legs into the toilet/potty.

margo1974 Sat 17-Feb-07 20:22:08

She did go this morning in her nappy, since then we have put her in knickers and she has not been.

margo1974 Sat 17-Feb-07 21:28:29

I do worry about the fact that holding on to her wee could cause a UTI.

Well, day 1 of potty training with no accidents, I thought I would be pleased!

btw she didn't want her nappy on when she went to bed but we put it on her just in case.

We're exhausted!

TenaLady Sat 17-Feb-07 21:34:04

Well, if it were me, I would put her back in nappies, she isnt ready to be a big girl yet.

Bucketsofdynomite Sun 18-Feb-07 13:34:34

I thought not weeing for hours was a sign they were ready . My dd hated the thought of making a mess, would cry when she weed on the floor, that's why the potty training worked in 10 days.
Give her an extra drink and don't leave the house until she's gone.

PizPizPiz Sun 18-Feb-07 21:28:36

Same problem here. One wee in a month of trying - we haven't gone cold turkey, we just sit her on the potty several times a day for 10-15mn each time. I'm sure she holds it in. Planning a nappy free day soon and dreading it!

malaleche Mon 19-Feb-07 11:10:52

I think it's better to do a complete cold turkey when potty training otherwise they get mixed messages, I mean no nappy during the day, only pants. You do have to grit your teeth tho and be prepared for a bit of mess. I would say no nappy at all, except at night for the first week or so. My DD1 had several accidents the first day inc. a solid one. Only one or two accidents the second day and none the third day. She didnt wear nappy for naps. You do have to remind them, take them, for a pee every hour or so till they learn to recognise when they need to go themselves. Just assume there will be accidents - thats how they learn. Oh, also we put her knickers where she could reach them so she could put on a clean pair herself - if you give them some responsibility for cleaning up the mess it helps them feel in control too.

margo1974 Tue 20-Feb-07 07:37:49

I did persevere and she didn't wee all day Sunday either

She had an accident at about 5 yesterday evening and she was ever so upset.

I am considering sitting her on the potty and making her laugh so she doesn't think about holding it in. (not by tickling though, I think that would be too mean!)

gegs73 Thu 22-Feb-07 11:39:39

I started a thread similar to this 2 weeks ago. DS was the same for over a week his best hold being from 6pm to 10am the next day! He is learning to 'let the wee wee out', he's having accidents but at least is not holding it for hours and hours as it was making him really miserable. I just persevered with pants, read him books about children letting their wee out and lots of praise when he weed even when all over the floor, and now he is alot better. It feels like I've only just started potty training him now as he held it so long it was near impossible and he is starting to get it.

The only thing I found would make him wee if he was holding it and in obvious discomfort was making him walk around. As soon as he was holding it he would want to sit on my knee or the sofa. Making him walk (or follow me screaming and crossing his legs around the house as I didn't let him sit on me) always made him wee and then he was fine. Good for emergencies

margo1974 Thu 22-Feb-07 11:55:41

Thanks for that!

She is still holding it!

But she sits on the potty and takes herself there as well, maybe I should tickle her until she loses control of her bladder!!!!

I am sure she will have a better week next week as she is under the weather and is quite stroppy at the moment

Good luck with your DS, keep me updated on his progress (and your sanity!)

margo1974 Thu 22-Feb-07 21:05:34

even worse, she woke with a dry nappy this morning - we put her to bed at 7 last night and she didn't do a wee all day again - that must be well over 24 hours

must speak to hv tomorrow

gegs73 Sat 24-Feb-07 17:05:57

Hi Margo - did you speak to the HV, what did she say? Is DD any better now?

My DS is better at not holding now, but instead is weeing everywhere again. He was shouting me when he weed before, but now he is just doing it then pulling his trousers off when their wet for new ones! Really getting sick of the whole thing.

Jimjams2 Sat 24-Feb-07 17:11:24

ds1 did this and we ended up at the drs once and A and E another time (each time he held for over 24 hours). His bladder went into spasm as it got full which then meant he couldn't go or something. The hospital treated wth painkillers (calpol- they tried to give nurofen as well at the same time but he threw it all over them) and he was able to go shortly afterwards.

margo1974 Mon 26-Feb-07 14:47:20

Thank for your support guys. HV is going to ring today. She gave me a few words of support on Friday. Since then, we have had different problems...We have been staying at my mums as DH is doing long shifts for the next few days and I haven't been able to keep an eye on her fully. She has had 5 accidents since Saturday and nothing on the potty at all. She will get there in the end, I know, but it's soooo exhausting.

margo1974 Tue 27-Feb-07 17:10:21

Also, what did you all do with regards to going out.

I don't really want to confuse the issue and put nappies back on when out and I'm going a bit stir crazy.

I am back at home, so will see if the accidents had anything to do with being at my mums

margo1974 Tue 27-Feb-07 22:41:17

bump

gegs73 Wed 28-Feb-07 12:27:04

Hi - I've been pretty hardcore and kept his pants on when we go out and taken the potty along too . DS tends to wee at certain times so I just make sure at those sort of times, I'm not anywhere which would be too awful for him to have an accident. If he seems to want to poo I would wait in until he's done it - just too traumatic to deal with when out!!!!! BTW you can also get potty liners which soak everything up if you are out and about.

Have you tried picking some really nice stickers for her and letting her have one everytime some wee goes in the potty and sticking it on her top? I started this with ds on Sunday and he really likes it. Note wee does go in his potty but also trousers/pants as well most of the time.

Good luck !!!!

margo1974 Wed 28-Feb-07 12:38:31

where do you get the potty liners?

Yep, have the stickers, the books and I can guarantee that she will sit on the potty while The Simpsons are on, in fact she stayed there for an hour while Hollyoaks was on too

gegs73 Wed 28-Feb-07 13:48:48

You can get potty liners from big Tescos - not the Express stores they are around £2.50. Good that she will sit on her potty through Simpsons/Hollyoaks. DS will sit on there for about 30 seconds max and then wants off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now