Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Washign bamboozles

(25 Posts)
kateyp Thu 15-Feb-07 10:21:41

Hello!
I just had delivered my bamboozles! They are pre-used ones so have been washed lots already (specified by the seller only in non-bio).
They seem clean, but am keen to wash them myself anyway as you never know!
BUT I am confused - the tots bots website says non bio at 40. But nappylady says bio.
what is best?!
Give them all a wash with nonbio at 60 for a first go to be sure they are nice and clean for my new born (expected in 4 weeks - eeek!) Or 90?
I have always washed my 2 year olds things in non bio (and the few cloth nappies he had) as he does get a touch of eczema.

HELP!!

kateyp
x

makesachange Thu 15-Feb-07 10:25:42

*Definately non bio!*

Avoid 90 with Bamboozles as it damages the fibres. Wash at 40 usually, if it gets them clean enough, but 60 is fine if you need more punch, or to get them clean as they're pre-used. 60 kills bugs just fine.

Good luck!

Emma

bobsmum Thu 15-Feb-07 10:28:27

I'm surprised the nappy lady says bio, but apparently the UK is unusual to have non bio at all. Non bio would be a safer bet for a newborn tbh though.

Don't wash them at 90!!! They'll not like that at all - it might trash the elastication. don't tumble them either - my bamboozles have really had a big fall out with the tumble drier and insist on being air dried only now!

A gentle non bio like Ecover or Surcare would be fine. If you wnat to be doubly sure about hygeine etc then a table spoon of Nappy Soak in the wash won't do any harm.

makesachange Thu 15-Feb-07 10:41:05

Re tumble drying, they should be ok to tumble cool but NOT hot. Again, the fabric is prone to damage with heat.

Ditto, don't dry them on the radiator either! Although an airer next to one is fine.

Emma

kateyp Thu 15-Feb-07 10:45:44

Thank you thank you!

kate
x

bobsmum Thu 15-Feb-07 10:47:21

Emma - as I have long suspected my tumble setting for "cool" is not very cool at all which is probably the problem I'm having

kateyp Thu 15-Feb-07 10:56:36

I suspect the same - I once shrank a whole load of ds's clothes. Including a single sheepskin slipper (not even sure how that got in there!!)

So prob safer I stick to line drying (except in emergencies!)

makesachange Thu 15-Feb-07 10:58:01

Oh no Bob's mum! Yes, that would definately cause a biiiig (or small!!!!!) problem!!!

Dragonhart Thu 15-Feb-07 10:59:24

Def use non bio. I accidentally used bio for my ds nappies and he had terrible nappie rash which took weeks to get rid of(presumably as it took that long to wash out).

I have been drying my bamboo nappies on the radiator for the last 6 months. Doesnt seem to have caused a problem so far. Worried now!

makesachange Thu 15-Feb-07 11:09:11

Dragon - if you're using aplix or popper ones you will prob be ok. If you have the nippa ones, drying on heat can damage the fibres and make them slip (but Tots Bots will put aplix on them for free if necessary).

It will also squash the fibres and make them less soft, and ultimately less absorbant.

Not the end of the world, but long term to be avoided.

Emma

kateyp Thu 15-Feb-07 11:11:29

Just been on nappylady and can't find where I read about using bio. So must've dreamt it...!
Thanks for all the advice anyway.
It is a lovely sunny day here so think I will give them a quick wash at 60 with non-bio and get them out on the line!
Kateyp

Flamesparrow Thu 15-Feb-07 11:11:45

I've just found the radiator issues after drying them on it all winter

Luckily a blast in a friend's tumble dryer has fixed em

MissGolightly Thu 15-Feb-07 11:13:03

Eek - what happens if you dry them over a radiator? I too have been doing this over the winter - will they disintegrate?

Flamesparrow Thu 15-Feb-07 11:15:53

lol - no, the fibres just all flatten down and the nippas aren't keen on co-operating.

I tumbled half of mine, and chucked th other half on the line and they have both fluffed up again.

MissGolightly Thu 15-Feb-07 11:28:34

phew, panic over.

Dragonhart Thu 15-Feb-07 12:21:27

I had noticed they didnt seem to be lasting as long but thought it was DS getting older/bigger bladder.

Do you have to dry them in the tumble dryer or can you just give them 30mins then finish on an airer. Does it fix it, then you can continue to dry on radiators or does that mean thatyou shouldnt do it at all? (sorry to crash katey!)

Flamesparrow Thu 15-Feb-07 15:05:30

I dried them... I don't know any of the other answers though - this has all happened since the weekend!

kateyp Thu 15-Feb-07 15:06:30

NP Dragonhart!

OK - have washed them at 60 with bio.
They have come out shiny and new. The sun has gone in (typical!) (have I discovered the first rule of cloth nappies - that no matter how bright and sunny it is when you put them in the wash, it will have clouded over by the time they come out?!) (or is it just that as a newbie I haven't made enough sacrifices to the God of Real Nappies yet?)

They feel a little flat and not as soft as new ones. Is that how they are meant to be? Or will they fluff/soften up a bit as they swing about in the breeze?

Kate

kateyp Thu 15-Feb-07 15:14:04

D'OH!
Meant NON bio...

bobsmum Thu 15-Feb-07 15:22:31

Kateyp - if you're line drying from scratch then give them a really good shake when they come out of the machine. Or if no one's looking then tumble them for 10-20 mins before line drying them

LRWG Thu 15-Feb-07 17:03:41

Definitely second the 20mins in the tumble drier to soften/fluff them up before hanging them on the line!

IdrisTheDragon Thu 15-Feb-07 17:09:16

OUr bamboozles seem happy being dried on the radiator (no tumble drier here).

I've read on the nappy lady about being able to use bio washing powder, although I can't remember where. She also says that up until 3 months you might want to wash at 60 degrees. I think.

kateyp Thu 15-Feb-07 19:35:23

ooooooh - tumble dry/don't tumble dry - you lot aren't half fickle!!!

K
xx

makesachange Fri 16-Feb-07 00:28:21

Tumbling is fine on LOW heat. High heat will damage them over time :-)

Tumbling low heat will fluff them up and make them softer and more absorbant. So, a tumble for 10 - 20 minutes will lift the fibres, soften them up and make them more absorbant. You may find you only need to do this every 2-3 washes.

Or not at all!

Emma

claireybee Thu 22-Feb-07 17:55:51

I'm going go against the grain here-tumble for 10-20 mins to fluff them up but AFTER having line/airer dired not before! Uses less electricity to tumble slightly damp items than wet ones and has the same result

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now