Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

HELP! I need a nappy strong enough to deal with DDs giant turds

(26 Posts)
TheLegendOfBeans Sun 06-Nov-16 06:54:30

Hello guys

Currently we use Pampers stay dry as her night nappies and Pampers premium protection as her day ones.

Every morning at the moment she's waking, covered in poos and every morning involves stripping her, the bed, the grobag, using a towel to just remove majority of turds whilst she wriggles and crawls away (spreading the joy) and that's before we get her in the bath to wash her off.

Repeat 20 mins later and you have my mornings every morning right now.

My beef is with the leaking nappies: can any of you recommend a brand of disposable that doesn't leak with the gusto Pampers seem to do when my DD drops a big one?

She 9mo and the only other nappies we've tried are Aldi and they were worse.

HELP! shock

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sun 06-Nov-16 07:06:47

What size is she wearing? It might not be the nappy, more that it's too small.

When DD2 was 9 months she was in 4+ at night, didn't matter what brand, they never leaked.

We use ALDI/LIDL/Morrisons nappies for her now and I've never had a problem with any- she's now 15 months in size 5

TheLegendOfBeans Sun 06-Nov-16 08:02:45

Yeah, I should have mentioned she's in a Pampers size 4 - both on the Premium Protection and the Stay Dry. She's only 9kg so is way too small for the size 5 nappies - normally I'd just put her in the next size up but I think she'd disappear in one ;)

What what brands did you use when your DD was 9mo; still Aldi/Lidl/Morrisons? Xx

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 06-Nov-16 08:05:50

Ignore the weights.

I have very long DCs - the 3 year old and baby off the centiles and the 2 year old not far behind. All were in size 5s by about 7 months due to the length of their torsos. I also also a size up at nights.

Stormwhale Sun 06-Nov-16 08:08:22

Firstly, the + sign means extra absorbancy, not a bigger size, so a 4+ might be a good start. If not, I would be trying the bigger size.

Nan0second Sun 06-Nov-16 08:08:55

Go up a size (maybe 2).
We use cloth so don't have poo leaks. (Honestly cloth is way better for this, but I appreciate not for all).

However, when on holiday my giant wee-er 12.5kg 17month old wears a 6+ in order to contain her wee /poo.

TheLegendOfBeans Sun 06-Nov-16 08:39:23

Thanks for this; reusable nappies aren't an option TBH and I appreciate the advice.

So: from your experience what brand and that brands size would you use? And is it Pampers that do 4+?

Brain is frazlled so basic instruction required confused

Stormwhale Sun 06-Nov-16 08:55:13

I found asda nappies to be the best actually, but that does vary from child to child. All the brands do the +sizes. It might be worth trying different brands to see which one suits your child's shape. Most expensive doesn't always mean best.

HalfShellHero Sun 06-Nov-16 08:57:13

I like ASDA s own we used them with both kids

Artandco Sun 06-Nov-16 08:59:38

Have you considered adding a reusable waterproof wrap over the outside of disposable? Then at least if stuff escapes nappy if will be contained more. The wraps you can just rinse under tap as waterproof material and rewear the next night as dry in minutes.

Also have you considered trying her on the toilet? Sounds early but I say mine on toilet from 6 months after meals and they learnt to poo quickly. That way if you tried her after evening dinner and just before bed she might empty a % from Bowels before nappy is on

allthatnonsense Sun 06-Nov-16 08:59:53

Use cloth at night.

Little lambs bamboo can be bought 5 for £25 at clothenappyshop.com and motherease wraps Riki or Airflow from the nappy lady.

You'll just be adding nappies to your wash not lots of sheets and towels.

TheLegendOfBeans Sun 06-Nov-16 09:35:02

Without a doubt her poops are on waking and also half an hour after. I can tell it's a fresh one as it's still so warm and pungent and her clothes are freshly wet.

It did cross my mind to try her on the toilet; she actually "runs away" from the poos in her nappy which apparently is a good sign for toilet training.

For now, I will try Asda and Morrison 4+. Failing those, the outer shell is a good idea.

Thanks all!

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sun 06-Nov-16 09:42:36

Asda and Morrisons are both great, ASDA especially. I love how stretchy and unbulky they are, but still super absorbent.

Go with a size bigger and see how you go- defo don't go by weights for nappies, if the 4s are sitting too low go for 5s.

TheLegendOfBeans Sun 06-Nov-16 09:49:45

Also: I never knew Size 4+ existed until today! Thanks MN smile

JellyWitch Sun 06-Nov-16 09:53:28

Use cloth or at least stick a Motherease airflow wrap over the top.

123bananas Sun 06-Nov-16 09:54:04

I have always used tesco own brand for my three. 5+ on my 2 year old contains the biggest poos. You could try 4+ for her and put a pair of training pants with an waterproof outer layer over them at night.

AndNowItsSeven Sun 06-Nov-16 09:54:29

Could you not just go into her room half an hour earlier and her her up before she poos.

AndNowItsSeven Sun 06-Nov-16 09:54:58

*get her.

TheLegendOfBeans Sun 06-Nov-16 11:40:06

Half an hour earlier would mean I'd start the day at 4:45am....

AndNowItsSeven Sun 06-Nov-16 11:50:06

That's really early but your dd will be uncomfortable when she has pooed. Plus you save time cleaning up.

TheLegendOfBeans Sun 06-Nov-16 11:53:28

Thanks, I'm very aware of this. What I'm trying to do Is minimise the spread of it; she wakes up within about 2 mins of pooing - it's so fresh you can tell.

Artandco Sun 06-Nov-16 12:20:38

What time is she eating in the evening, and when is bed? If you add a nap in day and move bedtime back to 9pm, dinner around 6-7pm then she will have 2-3 hrs to move around and poo before bedtime. Later bedtime should also help with super early wakings

TheLegendOfBeans Sun 06-Nov-16 13:19:37

Bedtime is 7pm

Last meal usually 5pm

90% of the time sleeps straight through...

alloutofnameideas Sun 06-Nov-16 13:28:11

I'm another vote for asda supreme. My 10 month old has been in size 4+ for a few months now. Aldi were nowhere near as good as Asda.

LauLau93 Sun 06-Nov-16 13:30:31

Pampers are awful we only used them for a week and every day she was soaked through at some point or another. Their Twitter feed is full of these kind of complaints.
We now use Aldi nappies and they are brilliant! A bargain too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now