Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Talk me into reusable nappies!

(9 Posts)
Hatade16 Wed 26-Oct-16 19:31:52

I have borrowed a kit from the council.

I'm struggling! They are sooo bulky! And so many inserts etc. I can't see how they would be easy to use when dd starts moving? She's 3 months ATM.

Help!

Helspopje Wed 26-Oct-16 19:35:37

I found the beginning bit hardest for washables. Much easier when on food so poos more like grown up poo and flick able into toilet

I used all in ones as I couldn't get on with the faff of liners boosters multipart jobs and wraps.

Used for 2 kids to potty training and about to come out for a third

HappyHeart87 Wed 26-Oct-16 19:43:12

Are you open to other brands? We started out with some handmedowns that were a bit like you describe and I really struggled. We've upgraded to a BumGenius all in 1 style now and I LOVE them!

They are so easy to wash and dry as they don't need soaking; no inserts; beautiful patterns and colours; grow with baby from birth to potty; I've never had them leak yet (dd is 18m); and they give her that gorgeous chunky baby bottom look. I wouldn't swap them for anything, they're probably our best purchase.

Penhacked Wed 26-Oct-16 19:51:06

I like mine. Dd crawled at six months in them and stands alone now at 8 months so they didn't impede her progress! You need to go up sizes in clothes or get vest extenders, but other than that I really like them. I hate the squish and smell of disposables and having rotten nappy smell in the bin.uch prefer washing it all. Oh lavender on a pantylinerbatuck inside the bin lid. That is my top tip!!

Thesunrising Wed 26-Oct-16 19:58:12

What brands are in the council pack. As others have said, there are lots of different designs to choose from. I used a mix of totsbots, bum genius, close parent - all slightly different and I found that as my children grew/changed shape, that some nappies fit better than at other times. In the first few months a lot of nappies can seem bulky unless you get the (expensive ) smaller all in ones. It was a lot easier for me after my daughter was over 14lbs (she was very little). Perhaps buy a few different second hand ones off eBay to try? And also worth looking at it that you don't have to commit 100% to washable nappies. Even if you only use them during the day or when you're at home, you're still probably going to save money in the long run (and landfill)

4yoniD Wed 26-Oct-16 20:03:03

What brands do you have? Bamboo is thinner than cotton, and good quality microfibre isn't too bad for thickness. I liked Bumgenius or Wonderoo pocket nappies, both with their own-make insert. Not the thinnest nappies, but not too bulky and soft/squishy.

Also remember a big bum is good for babies hips (it would bother us, but won't bother the baby).

TheDuckSaysMoo Wed 26-Oct-16 20:59:40

I echo everything happy heart said - bum genius all in ones are just like using a disposable but bulkier. I did find them too hard at newborn stage so stuck to disposables for the first two weeks approx. I loved how cute they looked.

Hatade16 Thu 27-Oct-16 10:23:48

So we currently have a little lamb size 1 on, fits perfect!

She had a miso one on this morning and I liked that one too!

Iv put a liner in both and a paper liner but I don't think they need them? She seemed very wet when I changed her the first time and the liner was stuck too her. Can't be very comfy?

How do you change it when she's pooped?

HappyHeart87 Thu 27-Oct-16 19:04:22

We use flushable bamboo liners so when she's pooed we just pick it up in the liner and pop it in the loo. Occasionally there's a little bit of poo on the nappy itself; I tend to wipe it with loo roll if necessary and then chuck it in the nappy bin to await a wash.

We also use Cheeky Wipes, which are amazing reusable baby wipes. Because they are like a tiny bum-flannel they get a pooey bum really clean without the need for multiple wipes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now