This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Nappy changing table - worth it?

(28 Posts)
bradleybecky Sun 25-Sep-16 23:02:37

First time mum. ..was wondering if they're worth biting? Got a bad back so thought it'd be handy...and can become a chest of drawers -

www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/childrens-ikea-products/baby/changing-tables-nursing/sundvik-changing-table-chest-of-drawers-white-art-90256727/

thoughts? Experience?

bradleybecky Sun 25-Sep-16 23:03:11

Buying! Not biting! Lol!

wayway13 Sun 25-Sep-16 23:06:25

I've heard lots of people say not to bother but we used ours every day for 2 years and we're about to start using it again. I wouldn't be without one. Then again, I used my nappy bin day in day out and that's another thing people say not to bother with.

Justfivemoreminutesplease Sun 25-Sep-16 23:08:01

Yes buy it - we actually currently have two; one in DD's bedroom and one in the bathroom. I thought I wouldn't need one, let alone two, but you spend forever changing nappies and kneeling on the floor to change a nappy is such a pain (& having to remember all the stuff / keep the dog away/ then try and clamber up and lift small child)

elephantoverthehill Sun 25-Sep-16 23:09:07

I just used a chest of drawers, or the floor and a mat. garden table, blanket box, Tesco's M&B room, back of the car............

KARMAisaBtch Sun 25-Sep-16 23:09:52

Due to lack of space, didn't buy changing table with drawers but we bought this instead with changing topsmile

And I'm loving it!!! smile perfect for my height, no bending, reaching, etc

TheBitterBoy Sun 25-Sep-16 23:11:11

I would say if you have the space then yes, get one. I used mine for at least the first 12 months, I have bad knees and it was a godsend.

Only1scoop Sun 25-Sep-16 23:12:32

Yes
we used ours all the time, I'd go for it.

r2d256 Sun 25-Sep-16 23:12:35

Yep! We use ours several times every day! And our nappy bin, love that too!!!

DameSquashalot Sun 25-Sep-16 23:14:21

We used ours. I tried doing it on the floor our bed, but it made my back ache.

doleritedinosaur Sun 25-Sep-16 23:17:09

Mine is a dresser with changing top & I love it & still use it now for DS's clothes & will be using again in 5 months time hopefully.

Definitely useful with the drawers.

Biscuitrules Sun 25-Sep-16 23:21:42

Going to go against the grain here - was thinking to myself just the other day how pointless these are.

I have two DC, youngest is nearly 3 and still in nappies, we change him either with the nappy mat on the floor or on our bed. It may be that with your bad back that won't be doable, but bear in mind that if you have a changing table you are going to have to lift baby up and down onto that every time you need to change the nappy. That's ok when they are newborn but they quickly get very heavy (or at least mine did). My sister uses an ordinary table with nappy mat on top if you do need the height.

The other benefit of changing on the floor/bed is that it is so much easier to interact with them and play games during nappy changes, as you are facing them and leaning over them. When I used a friend's changing table I was surprised how high it was and hard to interact. You are often also sideways to them (with the changing table pushed against the wall).

Finally there is the risk of them rolling off the changing table which makes nappy changes more stressful. With them on the floor I found that from about 2 months old they would be happy to kick there for 10 minutes while I pottered off to find wipes/do jobs.

16augustholiday Sun 25-Sep-16 23:23:15

Yes definitely worth it imo.

ZenNudist Sun 25-Sep-16 23:28:32

Useless item. I used it a lot with ds1 but not one little bit with ds2. I have a mat downstairs and upstairs tucked out of the way. I just change him on the bed or the floor. My changing table is just a useless piece of furniture. Its got basket storage in it but space not well used. It's pointless.

I laugh about how I used to religiously take ds1 upstairs to change him. It's much easier to do it downstairs if that's where you are.

Id not bother and see how you get on without. I bet you get by without.

MeleahAdams Tue 22-Nov-16 10:02:07

You may consider using portable change mats instead ( www.babyography.net.au/nappy-bags-baby ). They're more inexpensive and more convenient for nappy changing. This article is helpful in knowing the pros & cons of a nappy table- getrevising.co.uk/grids/advantages_and_disadvantages_of_disposable_nappies Hope this helps!

Schmoochypoos Tue 22-Nov-16 10:04:59

I never used one, just changed both DS on a changing mat on the floor. But I don't have a bad back. They are probably quite a short lived thing though, once the baby can roll I'm not sure you'd use it as much.

Zogthebiggestdragon Tue 22-Nov-16 10:09:33

I love mine, still have it in the living room and the child turns 3 soon! The ikea one we have now doubles as a storage unit for all the toys. Frankly with all the other crap you buy for a baby £55 on a changing table (if you have £55 to spare) is not the daftest investment.

Lots of people manage without, but I liked having somewhere to keep all the stuff and being able to change at a better height for my back.

readingrainbow Tue 22-Nov-16 10:12:27

I never thought I needed one, but when we moved to our previous house we found one in the loft and I thought, why not? It was really handy as it turned out. We have since moved again and are expecting another baby, so I bought a second-hand one off Gumtree for £15. It's currently covered in all sorts of random stuff, but it will definitely get plenty of use when the baby arrives. I like the shelves underneath for nappies and babygros, creams and wipes, etc etc.

user1474320794 Tue 22-Nov-16 10:31:06

Bought one, only really used it first couple months as soon as they started to roll about didn't like to take the risk (not that I left them there unattended obviously) just use the mat on the floor, or onto of some drawers

Mallowmarshmallow Tue 22-Nov-16 18:58:00

We used one every day for 2 and a half years with my first.
My second, however, is a crazy little thing who hates being on her back and it's way too dangerous to encourage her to be at height so she's changed on the floor on a mat.

I'd say buy one and hope for a baby that lies still!

mumofhandsomeboys Tue 22-Nov-16 19:10:10

We never had one. We put a changing mat on top of Ikea drawers then once DSs got bigger, put the mat on the floor. Personal preference. Babies accumulate so much (cute and expensive) essential crap I didn't want anything we didn't absolutely need!

Lalunya85 Tue 22-Nov-16 19:14:22

We didn't get one initially due to lack of space. It was fine for really small babies to just use any surface as they don't tend to wriggle as much.

First thing I bought when we moved to a bigger place was a changing table though and we have been using it for almost 3 years now (with 2nd DC from birth).

I bought one second hand with a bit of storage and it's one if the very few baby things I wouldn't want to miss.

yummycake123 Tue 22-Nov-16 19:19:47

We never had one. We just had a changing mat that we placed on the bed or the floor. We didn't have space for a changing table...

Joinourclub Tue 22-Nov-16 19:26:20

I have just changed my children on the floor or on the bed. I'd be no good With a table, I'd just worry they would roll off. When they are on the bed or floor I can run to another room to get more wipes , wash my hands etc

Frazzled2207 Tue 22-Nov-16 20:02:59

Used mine everyday for 3 and a half years- 2 kids. Best thing about it is it's handy storage for nappies, wipes and other bits. No idea where i'd put those bits otherwise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now