Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Are my washable nappies just too old now?

(26 Posts)
Addictedtocustardcreams Sat 02-Apr-16 19:05:10

I have read lots of stuff to say you really make your money back when using reusables on DC2. I have had the tots bots bamboozle nappies from when my DD was small. Used pretty well all the time until she was potty trained. I now have my DS in them but they now seem to have a slight smell of wee which won't go. He is also getting nappy rash all the time over the last few weeks which clears when he is in disposables. Have they just reached a time when they need to be binned or can I do something to them to help?

Addictedtocustardcreams Sat 02-Apr-16 19:06:41

Just to add I have always washed them at 60 with non bio powder & some bambio mio nappy wash powder.

veryproudvolleyballmum Sat 02-Apr-16 19:07:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SallyDonovan Sat 02-Apr-16 19:07:26

Sounds like they need a strip wash. Instructions here.

MagicAlwaysLeadsToTrouble Sat 02-Apr-16 19:09:27

Have you tried a strip wash? Or leaving them out in the rain for a couple of days I know that sounds bonkers but it can help

I'm using nappies on my 2nd DC with no problems, yours shouldn't be too old but might need a good wash.

Addictedtocustardcreams Sun 03-Apr-16 12:24:55

The good news is no rain today! So going for the strip wash. Bit confused about the powder issue as one of those links says not to use ecover which I have always used.

Nan0second Sun 03-Apr-16 12:31:59

Ecover not great for nappies. Residue builds up. Definitely strip them and then stick them outside for a couple of days. Consider changing to non bio powder and washing with cold rinse / 60 long wash / double rinse. They should do a second child (and then a third...) as a 2 part system.

Addictedtocustardcreams Sun 03-Apr-16 12:44:49

Which powder is best then? I can't believe I have got this far having washable nappies & I am so clueless about them! I don't know many people who have used them IRL & no one who has used them the time. Think my machine is a lot to do with it- I don't think it rinses the clothes too well never mind the nappies!

lljkk Sun 03-Apr-16 13:12:05

You could do an extra rinse in machine.
I was very happy washing mine at 30 degrees in bio powder. Bio powder is ace smile. 60 degrees only if solid waste on them. Always 60 will wear them out faster, including elastic. If you use soda crystals in the wash, that's supposed to cut down on detergent buildup. Instructions on the soda crystals bag.

Long time ago since I bought nappies, tbf; I never did a strip wash. I had all sorts of fabric including bamboo in the same style as the bamboozles, and they worked until the elastic wore out (up to 4 kids).

Pteranodon Sun 03-Apr-16 14:33:09

I used Surcare, it's environmentally gentle and v good for delicate skin

Nan0second Sun 03-Apr-16 15:50:54

I use aldi own brand! Cheap and effective (I use half dose so 1 scoop per load) then 2 rinses after

SallyDonovan Sun 03-Apr-16 19:39:01

Biological powder is best. I used to use Persil but any will do.

MagicAlwaysLeadsToTrouble Mon 04-Apr-16 06:11:13

I use Aldi own brand too.

Any luck with the strip wash OP?

Addictedtocustardcreams Mon 04-Apr-16 08:25:12

Have done the strip wash. Did the advice from the second link so they were on rinse basically all afternoon! They certainly look a bit of a different colour! Need to get them dried then will try them on DS's bum. Thanks for all the advice, definitely going to try different powder too.

lljkk Mon 04-Apr-16 15:04:25

do they smell better?

Addictedtocustardcreams Mon 04-Apr-16 20:11:04

They only smell bad when they get wee on them. I haven't put them back on him yet as I want to get his bum healed first so sticking with the disposables just for a couple of days. I am very hopeful though, they don't just look different they feel softer too!

MrsLettuce Mon 04-Apr-16 20:23:33

I used the bamboozles for my DC too, I'd be amazed if they are knackered after one child! TBH I'd be very surprised if stripping hadn't helped, you can test them with your own wee

I think I used to strip mine every six moths or so, not sure. Half a measure of powder and an extra rise is always a good plan for general washing, IME.

But, yes, they really should last. I was able to sell on the smaller size when DC2 was finished with them, they were still in very good condition indeed. I can't remember what I got for them but I was more than happy with it so it can;t have been peanuts. The bigger size was a bit shabby, the elastic was fine but velcro past it's best, I swapped them (via a facebook swap site) for a huge handmade glass vase and a crate of beer. Was a nice bonus!

Thistly Mon 04-Apr-16 20:24:40

If your machine is not rinsing well perhaps you need to clean the,filter?

MrsLettuce Mon 04-Apr-16 20:30:59

yy, cleaning the filer is a good plan if it;s not rinsing well. Always is anyway really. Do you do regularish maintenance washes?

Addictedtocustardcreams Mon 04-Apr-16 21:03:55

What are maintenance washes???
Yes I do clean the filter from time to time. Will give that another go as well.

MrsLettuce Mon 04-Apr-16 21:09:57

Just running the longest, hottest cycle with the machine empty every once in a while, clears out any gunk and grime. I think some people use washing soda or vinegar for them but I've always just run with nothing, empty.

poocatcherchampion Mon 04-Apr-16 21:13:57

This is a helpful thread. We have had this problem and used to leave them out a bit, but a super wash might be a good idea too.

Seeing as so many people are helpful - would you expect pocket nappies to last 2/3 babies? Some just seem to leak all the time. I don't have millions so they get used often but first 2 DCS were trained early so they have onyl had 3/5 years cumulative.

Addictedtocustardcreams Mon 04-Apr-16 21:14:14

Oh ok I do that every now & then. I will try & increase the frequency & improve my machine maintenance as well as my nappy washing plan.

Artandco Mon 04-Apr-16 21:15:48

I always washed mine on a cold rinse first which seemed to stop any smell remaining

15 mins cold rinse, followed by full 60 degree wash. Method laundry liquid

Artandco Mon 04-Apr-16 21:17:16

And yes, we used pocket nappies. Lasted our two children, then we passed on and they were in very good condition still.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now