This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Flushable Liners in Disposable Nappies?!

(17 Posts)
MarmitePhil Tue 08-Mar-16 13:02:31

I have a 9mo lg who has nice solid poos, and needs her nappy changing quite regularly because of a neat little poo often when the nappy is fairly new on & dry. I use biodegradable nappies so they're not the cheapest - about 15 pence per nappy I think - and keep thinking that if a flushable liner would sit neatly enough in one then I might only have to use 3 nappies a day as I could just flush the soiled liner & replace in between & only change the nappy around the middle of the day when quite wet. Does anybody do this?! Or am I bonkers for thinking of it?!

Hufflepuffin Mon 14-Mar-16 13:45:44

I don't know if the sticky bits would still work? You could definitely try flushable liners though, but if her poo really is that neat you could also try gnappies or flips, which are both reusable outers with a disposable inner (so the outer would reseal after every poo). Or you could go full reusable!

MarmitePhil Mon 14-Mar-16 14:21:20

Thanks! I'll have a look at gnappies & flips. I don't want the mammoth nightly washing & drying task of reusables, looks like it uses loads of water, electricity & time!

SusanAndBinkyRideForth Mon 14-Mar-16 14:26:12

Be wary though - I have 2 friends where the so called flushable liners have caused blockages. They are not as flushable as you might think.
Personally I used cloth nappies and never bothered with a liner as the poo always rolled off in the loo well.

dementedpixie Mon 14-Mar-16 14:30:51

You shouldn't flush anything apart from pee, poo and toilet paper so would avoid flushing the liners

BuffyFairy Mon 14-Mar-16 14:38:22

The so called flushable liners shouldn't be flushed. If they don't cause a blockage in your system they will contribute to sewer blockages down the line. Many of them survive a few washes so really don't disintegrate that easily.

Gnappy disposable inserts can be composted.

You wouldn't be doing a nightly washing and drying of reuseables at that age. I wash every 2-3 days. Stick them on the washing line or indoors on an airer. It really doesn't take too much extra work.

Have you got a nappy library near you? Even if you didn't want to try full on cloth nappying they might have the Gpants and Flip outers for you to try. Then you'd only have to buy some inserts to trial them. Ocado have got half price Gnappies until tomorrow.

MarmitePhil Mon 14-Mar-16 17:13:18

Just had a look - unless I'm misunderstanding, it looks like gnappy inserts are about 30p each, and you'd use them at the same rate as nappies?! I was looking to save money not go bankrupt!

dementedpixie Mon 14-Mar-16 17:17:55

Are you looking at disposable or washable liners there?

poocatcherchampion Mon 14-Mar-16 17:25:01

Do you use cloth wipes?

I use cut up flannel PJs. I sometimes would put one in as a liner after dropping a poo out of an otherwise perfect nappy.

Could also use any old fabric to make a barrier.

I always reuse a not used up nappy. grin

poocatcherchampion Mon 14-Mar-16 17:26:27

Sorry just read again. We use cloth totally. But could still work.

Or fleece material.

BuffyFairy Mon 14-Mar-16 19:17:14

Biodegradeable nappies won't degrade in landfill much faster than regular nappies so unless you're composting them you won't be helping the environment as much as you might think so you might as well save yourself some money and use regular ones. Of course there are other reasons to use them like less chemicals.

Trying fleece liners is a good idea. They're cheap to buy or make them up yourself. You can add them to your regular clothes / towels wash just give them a cold rinse first.

MarmitePhil Mon 14-Mar-16 20:04:47

Demented pixie - it was the disposable ones I was looking at! Mega bucks!

Buffyfairy - surely the fact that they're biodegradable means they will break down eventually? Do you know how long it would take? I do it because I'd like to think in a few thousand years they'll be gone rather than never be gone. I personally don't think I could be doing with keeping a bin full of soiled cloth & washing it every few days, keep going in & out several times a night to the washer/dryer for cold rinses, warm washes, dryer, separate wash of bibs/actual clothes etc etc! We have no air drying space and the utility is a lean to on the back of the house. So I'm trying to do my bit for the long term future of the swirling eddie of plastic in the sea that will never ever break down by using something that will one day!

phequer Mon 14-Mar-16 20:07:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dementedpixie Mon 14-Mar-16 20:18:46

What about something like these www.amazon.co.uk/Multipurpose-Purest-Bamboo-Nappy-Liners/dp/B0089GWLJA?

phequer Mon 14-Mar-16 20:21:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MarmitePhil Mon 14-Mar-16 20:26:35

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of. Although general consensus does seem that none of them can be flushed anyway, so I'd still be stuck tying it up in a (biodegradable) bag which although would save nappies used doesn't seem good to be using just as many bags (environment wise I mean). Ah well thought it might be a silly plan anyway!

Hadn't realised there were nappy libraries though, I will look into that :-)

BuffyFairy Tue 15-Mar-16 13:21:44

Oxygen is required for any biodegradable to break down and landfill is usually so tightly packed that there is little to no air for this to take place so any biodegradation that does happen will be very slow. Biodegradable matter in landfill also releases a considerable amount of methane. On the plus side they use less chemicals in manufacture and tend to have more ethical policies.

Does your council collect food waste? If so, would they let you put the biodegradable liners in with the food composting?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now