Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

How hard is elimination communication?

(6 Posts)
randomsabreuse Sat 19-Dec-15 18:01:06

DD (4 months) just "told" me she was about to pee while nappyless on the mat! I thinks she's done this a few times but this was a first where I'm absolutely certain. She was squirming and looking worried and as soon as I put the nappy more or less on she started peeing. Thinking about it the only times she's flooded the mat in the last few months have been in the car when cold out or when DH has been changing her (once when we were both there I told him she was about to pee but he didn't believe me!)

So that implies she's got some awareness not to want to pee on the mat, and awareness that she is about to! 4 months seems early for this??

Slight concern that this must not pee when bare association will hinder eventual potty training - I know it's a long time away but would it be possible to teach her that it's ok to pee on a potty as well as in a nappy.

There's little to no prospect of getting DH on side - cloth nappies is enough of a battle - if he's in charge for any length of time she goes back into disposables

nephrofox Sat 19-Dec-15 18:08:30

Honestly. .. I think you're crazy.
She can't hold her wee and she can't "tell" you when she's about to go.
Put a nappy on her for another 18 months at least.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 19-Dec-15 18:10:56

www.amazon.co.uk/The-Diaper-Free-Baby-Alternative-Healthier/dp/0061229709

Buy. Read. smile

Unless you and DP are both committed you won't be able to do.full on EC. Also tricky if you have other kids or arent a SAHM.

Next time you are sure she is going to pee hold over the toilet and save that nappy.

I was never committed enough to catch wees but DD never pooed except in toilet after about 1 and was pretty reliable after a few months.

randomsabreuse Sat 19-Dec-15 18:14:18

Oops a little foot got the post button there!

Am torn because it seems pretty out there to "potty train" a baby this young and babywearing and cloth nappies is enough of a shock to my rather conventional system.

Also she's definitely sensitive to me eating egg and seems reactive to excessive dairy in my diet so poos are somewhat explosive and frequent to say the least.

Assume it's best to line the potty if I use one?

Thanks in advance.

randomsabreuse Sat 19-Dec-15 18:44:13

I know it's crazy!

But we train dogs and cats much younger and babies are more capable of learning generally.

I was trying to give some nappy free time but she was definitely not happy without the nappy!

For what it's worth night nappies - changed due to noisy poo - are pretty dry usually.

ispymincepie Mon 18-Jan-16 17:00:54

I've read the diaper free baby book and what I've taken away from it is that you can do some ec to whatever extent you feel able to at any time. For me that was at home only. If I were you I would chose a 'cue' sound to use whenever you notice her peeing wherever that may be. Lots of nappy free time will help with her awareness and give lots of opportunities to sit on the potty or over the toilet. The way I thought of it was any 'catch' was one nappy saved! It's not potty training as she won't be able to hold it in, it's just about communicating the need and learning it's okay to go when not wearing a nappy. For further inspiration I suggest reading some of the potty training woes under the parenting topic. It's hardly surprising so many 3-4yr olds refuse to use the toilet and withhold until they have a nappy on when that's all they've even known/been trained to do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now