Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Altering Cloth Nappies

(5 Posts)
TwoLittleBlooms Thu 01-Oct-15 23:07:56

I cloth nappy my baby and am on a budget. We started with a couple of internet cheapies, and a couple of mio bambino small sets of prefold and wrap to try. We then decided to buy the btp kit (prefolds/mio bambino - due to finances and this being the cheapest option of all the nappies) which worked fine until the child discovered she could move - nappy time is a nightmare! Prefold in one direction, wrap in another and child in another direction altogether!

I have been buying up preloved totsbots easyfits, miosolos, a single lonely but rather gorgeous bumgenius (Lovelace if anyone is interested!) and I have just bought a stack of cheap nappies (20 + 40 boosters) through ebay auction (£35 with postage) - all unused but cheapies as it is much easier to get a single nappy on a moving child rather than two parters. The problem is I can not get a good fit with these cheap nappies. They are poppers - a single line to fasten not double rows like the bg (and the cut of the fabric seems a little odd - thinking sewing machine will need to come out). I truly can't afford to buy anymore nappies not even preloved....I am a bit of pauper at the minute.

Ok, so after all that waffling....my question is can I change poppers to velcro ( I know, I know....I could have just asked outright and saved the waffle! ).

CalypsoLilt Mon 05-Oct-15 15:06:44

Have you tried nappy nippas to get a better fit?

Hufflepuffin Mon 05-Oct-15 19:44:17

Have you tried just folding the trifold in 3 and shoving it in the wrap? Might be easier with a wiggly baby.

I don't know about altering pocket nappies I'm afraid!

Ditsy79 Mon 12-Oct-15 11:38:41

We had some BG Freetime with Velcro that wore out (literally would not stick!), so I attempted to replace the Velcro by hand sewing as I don't have a sewing machine. It was not very successful and I ended up giving the whole lot (plus replacement Velcro) away to someone on Freecycle! The fabric of the nappy is very difficult to get a needle through, but I would imagine it would be doable with a machine. I am sure there are templates online for converting popper nappies to Velcro. Good luck!

TwoLittleBlooms Mon 19-Oct-15 21:44:43

Thanks for replying!

CalypsoLilt - I never used nappy nippas with the prefolds - I just folded in three and then put in the wrap just like HufflePuffin suggests (she would kick and shove her bum around knocking the prefold out still though!)

Ditsy, I have a machine so hopefully will be able to get through the fabric!

I did end up finding a method/tutorial online and have bought kam snaps and pliers as I will need more snaps in the nappies for the tutorial to work - hopefully it will work as it still means the nappies are relatively cheap per nappy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now