Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

homemade reusable wipes?

(18 Posts)
BeeMyBaby Mon 14-Sep-15 06:38:51

Can you make your own reusable wipes? I looked on eBay and they seemed to be all made of fleece - is that the material most people would use? I was thinking of buying a cheap primark throw (I am never near a material only shop, but primark is right next to my work) and chopping it up- would that work? Could I use some of it for wipes and chop some of it into fleece liner shapes? Or is it not that kind of fleece (I have no idea!) ? Just trying to stick to a very tight budget.

blibblobblub Mon 14-Sep-15 06:49:53

I heard fleece can be a bit smeary for poo.

My initial idea was to make my own by cutting up some fleece and terry cloth and doing them double sided, but having looked at the cost it didn't seem worth it.

I know some people swear by the little face cloths you can get from the pound shop - they're £1 for 6. I didn't get on with them though, found them much too little and thin. I ended up buying some Cheeky Wipes - the plain white terry ones - and tbh they are brilliant.

BeeMyBaby Mon 14-Sep-15 06:57:58

Thank you that's very helpful. Quite expensive on the cheeky wipes website (especially as I'm not sure how I will get on) but I will look in primark and check out how big their face cloths are, hopefully they will be better quality than the pound store.

Yddraigoldragon Mon 14-Sep-15 07:10:40

If terry works, Sainsbury do very cheap white value towels, 1.50 for a hand towel which could be chopped up? I use them for tea towels as they dry really well. Probably get the same thing in value ranges elsewhere?

hebihebi Mon 14-Sep-15 07:19:06

I use these ones from Ikea. They are only 3 pounds for 10 cloths and they are the perfect size.

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40054538/

NotCitrus Mon 14-Sep-15 07:27:54

Do you have any soft absorbent clothes that are falling apart? I had small ones that used to be cotton or jersey boxers, then larger ones that used to be brushed cotton pyjamas. Just cut into 4in or 6in rough squares. I kept a lidded box of water on the change table.
The pound shop flannels worked too, but not as absorbent.

I admit dc2 got baby wipes more often!

BeeMyBaby Mon 14-Sep-15 18:27:28

I like the look of the ikea ones! Unfortunately we don't have any old clothes which we would be willing to cut up.

Konserve Mon 14-Sep-15 18:30:18

I bought a pile of face flannels.
for on the go used a damp flannel in a zip lock type bag.

blibblobblub Mon 14-Sep-15 21:06:17

Bee yeah tbh Cheeky Wipes are just like little flannels! I only got them because we had been given an Amazon voucher, couldn't have justified the cost otherwise. The pound shop ones aren't like flannels, they're more like...I don't know, weird t-shirt material almost.

Hufflepuffin Wed 16-Sep-15 21:36:34

I got 40 of these, they were fine. Some frayed a lot but for the price I didn't mind. pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=371048839552&globalID=EBAY-GB

BeeMyBaby Thu 17-Sep-15 06:18:19

I had seen them on eBay but wasn't sure- will definitely get them in primark proves fruitless - thanks!

BreeVDKamp Mon 26-Oct-15 09:55:24

I just cut up a terry square and sewed round the edge smile

Orangeanddemons Mon 26-Oct-15 09:56:49

Fleece isn't absorbent, so will smear things around.

MirandaWest Mon 26-Oct-15 16:38:24

I used to use fleece for wipes for DD - worked fine for us

Whatevva Mon 26-Oct-15 16:42:02

You used to be able to buy a microfiber flannel in Waitrose (not now) which would have been very effective.

We used to use cut up j-cloth with warm water and baby bath liquid - but you still chuck them.

AcrossthePond55 Mon 26-Oct-15 18:30:38

I'm an 'old mum' but isn't a 'reusable wipe' nothing more than a wet wash-cloth? What would be the difference? I'm confused.

BreeVDKamp Mon 26-Oct-15 18:44:03

You are right across! I prefer them smaller than a flannel and designated for wiping bums. But yes. Basically a flannel.

I dip a corner in water, wipe, then use the dry bit to dry bun before putting nappy on.

AcrossthePond55 Mon 26-Oct-15 19:04:23

Bree smile

Oh yes, I remember using a tonne of baby washcloths when my two were little! Rinsed in the toilet and dropped them in a pail of bleach water.

Seems to me they were relatively inexpensive to buy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: