Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Reuseable Nappies help please

(16 Posts)
randomsabreuse Sun 30-Aug-15 11:11:33

Have a 3 week old girl and am horrified by the level of landfill waste created by 12+ nappies per day so very keen to switch at least part time. But have some queries..

She is very bothered by wet nappies - hence numbers - how dry do reuseable Nappies feel with small amounts of wee? Bothered to the point of no chance of latching even when hungry! Normally very easy to latch...

Assume we're better off waiting until we vaguely fit a size 2 (pampers) - although 7.3 is in the size range we still have a massive overlap in size 1s and size 2 was way too big when we tried one.

Despite my figure she's currently long legged and slim so are any types better for this build.

Cost isn't the major driver for this - mostly environmental. Probably not doing overnight initially and probably not out and about for a while.

Thanks

RS

BreeVDKamp Sun 30-Aug-15 18:00:52

Hi!

My long skinny boy fits in Charlie Bananas really well. They're good because you can adjust the rise/leg elastic completely, you're not restricted by the poppers as they use a bra strap type of adjuster so you can get them exactly the right size.

They only thing is their cutest nappy, the polar bear, only lasted 2 washes before the printed polar bear face came off :-/ but most of their nappies don't have printed designs.

Also finding the miosolo a really good fit and have stocked up on Little Lambs too because of their gorgeous prints and their bamboo inserts make for a really slim nappy.

Why don't you see if you can do a free nappy trial? The goreal.co.uk website will tell you, or Google nappy libraries but I'm not sure if they're free. Also if you're local you can go to The Nappy Lady's house and she will find a nappy that fits your baby well smile

I did a free trial of Beaming Baby disposable nappies which were ok and will probably be good for when we go away.

Have fun, nappies are addictive!!

BreeVDKamp Sun 30-Aug-15 19:26:49

It's actually goreal.co.uk

BreeVDKamp Sun 30-Aug-15 19:27:03

Sorry. Org.uk!!!

Allthatnonsense Sun 30-Aug-15 22:24:44

Have a nosey on the Internet and but one of the nappies you fancy to try. I bought ten bumgenius nappies and I really regret it.

You'll need about 6 night nappies (usually Little Lambs or Bamboozle stretch) and a day system (pocket or all in one).

Fleece liners are excellent at keeping baby feeling dry ish.

MilkAndFenty Sun 30-Aug-15 22:37:54

I agree fleece liners are great for keeping baby a bit dryer, worth a go If she is that sensitive to feeling wet. If you can, try a few brands before committing. smile

WiIdfire Sun 30-Aug-15 22:49:43

Fleece liners are essential for keeping her feeling dry. Otherwise try out different brands to see what fits. We use totsbots easyfit which are great.

BuffyFairy Sun 30-Aug-15 22:53:27

Definitely look for a nappy library near you. Lots have newborn kits and you can then loan a birth to potty kit and try out a few different brands before committing.

BuffyFairy Sun 30-Aug-15 22:58:18

For some reason my iPad won't let me paste any links but Google nappy libraries and it will bring up the Google map of them.

The nappy lady website is a great resource and you can do an online questionnaire.

It can be a bit of trial and error so avoid investing in lots of one type of nappy. There's a thriving Preloved scene on Facebook to try nappies out cheaply if you can't get to a library.

randomsabreuse Tue 01-Sep-15 07:45:09

Thanks. Will have to try and get to one of the local groups - no free trials around here. Hadn't thought of fleece liners so great to have an option that might work but dryish isn't acceptable to her ladyship. On the plus side nappy rash hasn't been an issue!

randomsabreuse Thu 10-Sep-15 08:12:01

Still not organised, still in size 1s (tried size 2s and the leg gape is still a problem) but at the point of size 1s lacking absorbancy.

Little miss fussy thinks that sainsbury,s nappies are just not absorbant enough - changing once an hour! OH sent on emergency trip to Aldi or it would have been a long night...

Still worried about need for constant changes if they don't feel perfectly dry which would rather negate the environmental benefits - and hope for early potty training anyway..

But we are hoping for another one...

Will try a hire if I can convince DH - think he's acquired some of his mother's germ paranoia!

Hufflepuffin Thu 10-Sep-15 18:26:29

If you follow the little lambs Facebook page they are soon to have a big sale - the sales are very good - so you could try some? I bought some pockets in the wrong size on their last sale and sold them on a Facebook page for the same price I paid so it would be pretty low risk. I would email them now though to get advice on what would keep your baby feeing driest (they don't have time for advice during the sale!).

randomsabreuse Wed 02-Dec-15 14:28:30

Finally did it. Did/doing a nappy library trial and she seems less fussed by damp nappies if they're cloth so they last better than disposables! Using fleece lined nappies which she prefers. Fleece liners will come soon when I've acquired the necessary fabric and definitely before weaning.

Have just bought some little lambs and TJs which worked well in the hire kit. Also getting on ok with most of the others but they're pricier so harder to sell to DH. Will probably end up buying posher boosters - liking the bamboo night boosters in the hire kit- which seem to have more effect than the nappy itself on absorbancy.

The only leaks have been user error whereas disposables were leaking daily - the ability to add more absorbancy but still have a small waist and leg holes seems to be the key!

Hufflepuffin Fri 04-Dec-15 17:13:14

I found having a microfibre top layer (under the fleece) then a bamboo underneath is my best combo in a pocket to avoid leaks, the microfibre catches the gush (!) of wee then the bamboo holds it all in. Good luck!

Hufflepuffin Fri 04-Dec-15 17:14:58

Oh and your own bamboo boosters will get better the more you wash them! Watch out for the little lambs Boxing Day sale, their triple bamboo booster and trifold insert are both really good. I use a hemp booster with a bamboo fitted nappy for night time.

randomsabreuse Fri 04-Dec-15 17:32:14

Thanks. Have only really done pockets and get longer than with disposables so debating just sticking to them. Tending to use microfibre plus cotton/bamboo/hemp underneath which makes for a fairly bulky nappy apart from nice thing bamboo night boosters. Just need to ID them and acquire. Had poosplosion in disposable last night so will be trialling pockets at night on return from holiday - can't do worse than disposables!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now