Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Cloth nappies & poo

(21 Posts)
avocadotoast Sat 25-Jul-15 14:23:36

We've recently been using cloth nappies, building up to using them full time. I'm using a mixture of Motherease Sandys, Tots Bots Bamboozle Stretchies, and Bambino Miosolos.

I had previously thought myself quite lucky that my 9 week old doesn't poo very often (we're talking two or three times a week). However, this does pose a bit of an issue as when she does go, there's bloody loads of it. I'd seen on another thread someone had suggested that poo would mostly be absorbed into the nappy - no chance with this kid! It means when she's wearing cloth I've no choice but to rinse it out, even though she's breastfed and obviously at this age her poo is just liquid.

My question is this: what would you do with the nappy once it's been rinsed? Once I've rinsed it it's absolutely drenched through. Up to now I've been putting them straight in the wash as there have been other nappies to put in too, but the one she's just done is the only one. I've put it in the washing machine to rinse and think I'll then just stick it in the bucket, but it doesn't feel very green to do that!

Any advice appreciated smile I'd still rather deal with cloth than disposable as they hold poo much better (we had our first ever leak - out the leg of a Miosolo - today, whereas she blasts straight out of a disposable). I'd just like to find a more efficient way of dealing with things!

ShipShapeAhoy Sat 25-Jul-15 14:40:40

I have a bucket in the kitchen next to the washing machine. I put all the nappies and any food stained clothes in there to soak in napisan. I just leave it there to collect until I'm ready to run a wash.

ShipShapeAhoy Sat 25-Jul-15 14:41:43

I didn't start on cloth nappies until dd was about 8 months so I missed the newborn poo stage!

TeaAndCake Sat 25-Jul-15 14:45:04

I always rinsed in the sink, wrung it out and then into the nappy bucket until I had enough for a load.

I'm not particularly squeamish about poo though. Use rubber gloves if you can't face handling it. Then give the sink a quick swish with something anti bacterial or a tiny bit of bleach (or whatever is to hand).

I wouldn't dream of putting the washing machine on for one solitary nappy rinse.

Nappy bucket was done every other day at the very least.

avocadotoast Sat 25-Jul-15 14:49:01

Oh I wouldn't normally put the machine on just to rinse one thing. I don't know why I did this time tbh! I need to work out a better system I think. I generally change DD in the living room as our bathroom is so tiny (honestly, I'd be able to lay her on a mat in there but I'd be out on the landing) so logistically it's tricky.

I'm not squeamish about the poo really, it's just even with rinsing it's impossible to shift all of it, and I'm not keen on the thought of letting it sit in the bucket for two days. But I guess it's par for the course, and it's sealed off...

amicusapple Sat 25-Jul-15 14:56:11

Breastmilk poo is totally water soluble. It would be fine to chuck these nappies in with a normal clothes wash. You don't need to wait for a load of nappies. Once I start weaning, it was one load every other day with just nappies.

babyiwantabump Sat 25-Jul-15 14:59:08

Breastfed only Poo is water soluble - no needto rinse just in the bucket then machine wash as normal.

babyiwantabump Sat 25-Jul-15 14:59:31

Cross posted

eddiemairswife Sat 25-Jul-15 15:01:09

I used to rinse in the lavatory while it was flushing. HOLD TIGHT!! And then in a bucket until I had a load for the machine.

Artandco Sat 25-Jul-15 15:01:09

Just rinse under toilet flush, then in dry bucket ( inside mesh bag). Put all nappies in by the end of the day

HappyAsASandboy Sat 25-Jul-15 15:24:09

I use fleece liners, which catch most of the poo.

It's fine to just chuck breastfed poo in the bucket/bag, or rinse the nappy/liner first and then into the bucket/bag. I always dry-pail, so I don't have any water/Napisan in a bucket. I use a wet bag instead.

Then chuck it all in the every 2 or 3 days. I run a cold rinse, then 40 degrees with half dose of powder, then another cold rinse. It is important to cold rinse first to shift the worst of the poo otherwise the warm water can set the stain in.

Now that we've started solids, the poo is more of a faff. Lots of them are solid enough to shake into the loo, or peel off with loo roll, or come off in the flush (HOLD TIGHT!). Any runnier ones are rinsed in the sink before going in the wet bag.

You can get paper liners to catch the poo, but if they're breastfed poo and runny, I think a paper liner will just cause leaks and be of no use as a poo catcher.

lentilpot Sun 26-Jul-15 20:22:58

If you're not happy leaving the poo in a bucket for a day or two (I was at this stage! A drop or two of tea tree oil on the top of the nappy mesh helps with the smell) then I would recommend fleece liners. I use a cut up IKEA blanket as you can customise to fit your nappies. I have a dedicated pair of 20p tongs from IKEA next to the loo that I use to hold things under the toilet flush.

BreeVDKamp Fri 31-Jul-15 15:32:04

Interested in this as just started using cloth on 9 week old DS and he hasn't pooed since Saturday (6 days!) so it's gonna be a big un!

BreeVDKamp Fri 31-Jul-15 15:34:10

I've got disposable liners but they're a bit bunchy and not had the opportunity to try them with poo yet!

DunderMiffed Fri 31-Jul-15 15:39:06

I never used disposable liners when dc was ebf but I can't imagine they will hold their own against a nine day backlog!

BreeVDKamp Sat 01-Aug-15 23:06:07

grin Dunder still haven't had the opportunity to test them out haha! Day 7 and counting...

NotCitrus Sat 01-Aug-15 23:12:30

Flush in toilet, then chuck in bucket (or double-bag if out). Do a wash a bit sooner than I might otherwise.
Once eating solids, I used paper liners - they survive half a dozen washes when weed on, chuck down toilet with poo. Fleece liners didn't seem an improvement over the plain nappy IME.

DunderMiffed Sun 02-Aug-15 14:09:56

Fleece liners mean no stains and if you do get a sticky one it's easier to just hold the fleece in the loo and flush than to get the whole nappy sodden!

HappyAsASandboy Mon 03-Aug-15 06:18:52

I agree with Dunder; the fleece liner catches most of it, meaning you can rinse the liner and the nappy edges rather than the whole nappy.

They also look colourful on the line smile

DrPeppers77 Sat 05-Dec-15 12:34:45

I came up with a good idea for getting poo out of cloth nappies when it's still pretty runny. It can't go in the washing mashine and getting up close and personal with it is getting a bit gross! I got a sealed clear dry bag on eBay, the type you might take camping or kayaking. Probably 20L is a good size. On wash day when all the pee nappies go in the washing machine I separate the poopy ones out and put them in the dry bag with some water and a bit of detergent that's safe for nappies. Seal it up good with some air in there and shake it shake it baby! It's like a mini washing machine! Clear plastic helps to see what's going on. I shake it a bunch, tip the water in the toilet, add more water, shake again, dump. Maybe a third time to get the detergent out before adding it to the main wash, starting with a rinse cycle. The bag can then be rinsed out and disinfected and dried. It was a bit messy the first time until I got used to it. Just make sure it's sealed up. To pour out the poopy water I would unroll the top opening completely and click the buckle, making like a spout at the opening. I just had to share!

DrPeppers77 Sat 05-Dec-15 12:35:36

I meant once baby starts solids, this poo! Breastfed is fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now