Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Chemical nappy burn from Pampers Baby Dry

(14 Posts)
MrsGiraffe12 Sun 19-Jul-15 17:12:45

My poor DD (10 months) has what looks like a chemical nappy burn from pampers baby dry.

Any tips or advice about this? I'm taking her to the doc in next few days if it doesn't clear up

Ps: have posted in health as well x

ARunOfThings Sun 19-Jul-15 17:23:53

Are you looking for advice on getting it cleared up? Or advice on nappies?

You could obviously try switching brands, but they all have chemicals in them. Have you thought about trying cloth nappies?

ShootTheMoon Sun 19-Jul-15 17:29:36

This happened to my DD with a brand of nappies which contained a stay dry gel - I don't recall which as we typically used cloth nappies and it was a one off.

Nature baby/Nati nappies are great if you want to continue with disposables, but cloth are pretty easy too.
DD's burn cleared up with metanium and cool baths and lots of nappy free time in a couple of days. It hadn't blistered, though.

MrsGiraffe12 Sun 19-Jul-15 17:39:44

Great thanks both :-)

I used bambino mio solo before and they leaked.

Maybe looking at the mio soft or little lambs osfa? x

ShootTheMoon Sun 19-Jul-15 17:42:57

Hope it clears up quickly!

I can't really comment as we only ever used Bumgenius Flip - they've been fab for us and will be used for DC2. smile

MrsGiraffe12 Sun 19-Jul-15 17:48:28

Are they easy to use? The Flips I mean x

BuffyFairy Sun 19-Jul-15 17:49:55

Pampers gave my DD chemical
burns. We stayed nappy free at home until it cleared up (even at night, went through every towel in the house) and metanium on when we did have to put a nappy on her. She did get a cream from the Dr but I don't recall which one.

It was the push that switched us over to cloth.

Is there a cloth nappy library near you? Some do postal loans. It's a great way of trying lots of different brands if you want to give it another go.

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Sun 19-Jul-15 17:55:42

Ds2 used to get this and dd, so we had to go cloth. Could get away with nature baby disposables for the odd day out or holiday but mainly used cloth.

My preferred system in the end were bum genius with a bamboo insert under a microfibre insert for nighttime and the tots bits stuff able ones for day time.

ShootTheMoon Sun 19-Jul-15 17:56:32

Yes, the Flips have been fab. We'll need a couple of new wraps but all of the inserts are absolutely fine and they are birth to potty - DD 'trained' herself overnight (day and night) at 2.4 and I've heard, anecdotally, that cloth bum kids do switch to using the toilet earlier on average. Another perk smile.

BertrandRussell Sun 19-Jul-15 17:59:07

Are you sure it's not "just" nappy rash? I find the idea of getting a chemical burn from a nappy a bit far fetched. Nappy rash can be really horrible....

ShootTheMoon Sun 19-Jul-15 18:02:45

I was certain in my case Bertrand because the burn extended over her bum cheek and stopped in a hard line with the edge of the nappy. As if she'd been burned with a straight edge, like an iron. She hadn't been wearing it long either and had no trace of nappy rash before.

Her normal nappy rash, when she got it, was confined to where her urine sat, usually in the creases.

MrsGiraffe12 Sun 19-Jul-15 18:25:26

That sounds like Dd, it's blistering and it stops at the nappy line. And it's not cleared up with cream in a week

ShootTheMoon Sun 19-Jul-15 18:35:09

Oh, if it's been a week and it's blistering then I'd advise seeing a nurse. The creams and ointments for burns are excellent and maybe a healthcare professional can advise.

But nappy free time is usually helpful at least.

I agree that once you've seen it, it's distinctly not like regular nappy rash.

MrsGiraffe12 Sun 19-Jul-15 19:45:46

She cries when I change her too so I'm off to the docs as soon as possible but am going to try some cloth nappies :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now