We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Best night-time reusable for 3 years & up??

(9 Posts)
SnoozingCyborg Sat 18-Jul-15 22:02:20

Usual story: DS is now a 'Big Boy', fully toilet trained in the day, still wets at night and hates the nappy. I don't want to spend a fortune on those glorified disposable nappies that look like pants, and as the new consensus is that night-training/lifting is pointless and you should just wait, surely the range of night-time reusables for big boys and girls should be getting more diverse and competitive?

After exhaustive Googling, it looks like it boils down to Motherease Bedwetter pants vs Super-Undies Bedwetting Pants vs Happy Heiny Pocket Trainer Pants. I have plenty of inserts and boosters already, and Happy Heinys look cheaper than the first two. I thought perhaps they might dry faster as well, given that they're primarily pocket nappies rather than super-padded all-in-one night pants. He's not a very heavy wetter, though quite slim of bum and even with his disposable pullups will often have a leak.

Any other options? What are your experiences?

SnoozingCyborg Sat 18-Jul-15 22:03:53

Oh yeah and he is 3.5 though looks more like a 4 year old.

TheColdDoesBotherMeAnyway Sat 18-Jul-15 22:07:25

We tried the Motherease for dd1 when she was around 5 and they were awful - much more bulky than pull-ups so more obviously nappies. She developed a terrible nappy rash after a few days so we stopped using them and never did again. We went back to disposables until she was old enough to be referred for desmopressin which was s godsend and sorted her out within a few months. Sorry not to have anything positive to add but in our case it was a waste of money sad

TheColdDoesBotherMeAnyway Sat 18-Jul-15 22:08:42

I should add that we used reusables up until potty training and never had any issues (little lamb bamboos and osfas)

SnoozingCyborg Sat 18-Jul-15 22:16:06

I did use BumGenius One-Sizes until he was about 1, then got super lazy. Pulled them out again recently when he started complaining about his night-time disposable pullups, but they were just slightly too small - and he would pull the velcro straps off in his sleep at night, because they were a bit uncomfortable. He really really wanted them to work too. This is when I thought - aha, surely there are pocket nappies out there that are bigger than this?? Looks like the Happy Heinys I mentioned are not really sold much in the UK and hard to come by!

Mallyboo33 Sun 19-Jul-15 08:30:04

If you can overcome the "hate the nappy" bit, I'd recommend a terry nappy kite folded with plastic pants over. For extra absorbency at nights on my 2.5 DS heavy wetter, I pad fold another terry down the middle and have had no problems with leaks. This is the cheapest nappy system in my opinion, compared to all these pull ups and bed wetter pants I've seen around. I'm a long way from night training as DS is still in nappies full time, which is a problem I'm working on!

CatWithKittens Sun 19-Jul-15 10:52:41

I'd endorse what Mallyboo says - terries have worked for all our 5. Youngest DS still has them and the older 4 wore them at night until between 56 and 79 months. You can get bigger ones than the standard 60cm - 67 or 75cm ones and in our experience they rarely leak. Eldest DS told us they were much more "comfy" than the disposables we once used on holiday.

SnoozingCyborg Sun 19-Jul-15 18:02:07

Terries eh? Interesting... Do standard training pants work over the top, like Bright Bots style? Or do you mean a full on plastic wrap?

CatWithKittens Mon 20-Jul-15 09:50:29

Snoozing, in answer to your query, we have used standard training pants at night sometimes padded with a pad folded nappy but only towards the end of DS2/DC3 becoming dry at night when a little security was needed but not a full nappy because he was waking up as he wet rather than doing a full wee. We also used trainer pants when we started using an alarm with DS1/DC1 who suddenly became conscious that his younger sister, DC2, no longer had a nappy at night and he wanted to do something about it - a muslin nappy round the alarm sensor inside trainer pants worked very well as did the alarm after a few weeks. Otherwise we simply used old fashioned pull up waterproof pants - plastic or vinyl, or occasionally PUL.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now