Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Any advice on biodegradable nappies?

(12 Posts)
lillamyy1 Mon 19-Jan-15 22:40:09

My 1st baby's due in April and I'm wondering what nappies to use? I don't think I'd like the hassle of washing reusables (plus the fact that it uses a lot of energy and water males me feel that they're not really that great for the environment anyway!) But I don't like the idea of adding to landfill, so was wondering about biodegradable disposables. Are they any good? Do they cost a lot more? Do they actually biodegrade?? Would I put them in with the normal household rubbish? Any advice would be great confused

Christelle2207 Mon 19-Jan-15 22:42:39

We use Naty and they're about the same price as pampers anf we've had very few issues. Easily found in big supermarkets.
However for overnight nappies Pampers Babydry rule. So we used naty during the day and pampers at night.

stargirl1701 Mon 19-Jan-15 22:43:32

They are good but I believe that, currently, there is no where in the UK to put them so they go into landfill where I hear that they do not biodegrade.

Cloth nappies are pretty easy. I've been using them for two and half years now.

Christelle2207 Mon 19-Jan-15 22:44:14

And yes they go in normal bin. They work just like any other disposable except they biodegrade.

stargirl1701 Mon 19-Jan-15 22:44:36

www.thenappylady.co.uk/ecodisposables.html

stargirl1701 Mon 19-Jan-15 22:45:41

www.climatechangechallenge.org/News/Featured-Articles/Disposable_Nappies_(diapers)_No_Worse_for_the_Environment_Than_Cloth_Nappies.htm

Minithemoocher Mon 19-Jan-15 22:46:30

Have a look at gnappies

stargirl1701 Mon 19-Jan-15 22:47:01

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/291130/scho0808boir-e-e.pdf

Squtternutbaush Mon 19-Jan-15 22:57:26

They go to landfill in the UK and because they're so full the air needed to break down the biodegradable materials doesn't get to them so they're pointless.

Gnappy inserts are compostable (although need to be binned if they are soiled rather than just wet) but they are easy to use with cloth inserts too.

What is it you're worried about with cloth? I rinse poo in the toilet and sling it in a big dry bag with the wet nappies and Chuck on a 60 wash every 3 days.

lillamyy1 Wed 21-Jan-15 10:03:03

Thanks everyone! I might just stick to normal disposables then...
With reusables I'm a bit reluctant to have dirty nappies hanging around and also not so keen on the idea of using so much energy doing hot washes. And we haven't got a garden so not much space to hang them while they dry. and I'm lazy blush

lentilpot Fri 23-Jan-15 03:51:29

With reusables my dirty nappies only sit around for maximum 48 hours (we wash every other day), if we used disposable nappies we would have them hanging around for a week waiting for bin day!

Stubbed Fri 23-Jan-15 04:31:26

You just put washables on a normal wash 40 degrees. Sometimes I do a 60 but it's just occasional. And with a lidded bucket you don't smell the nappies.

The poo goes in a liner then down the loo anyway it's only wet nappies that you keep.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: