Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

washing powder for reusable nappies?

(12 Posts)
dylsmimi Sun 28-Dec-14 13:22:45

I've decided to start actually using the reusable nappies i bought a while ago (don't ask why theyve been sat in a box for almost a yr)
anyway i got a free pot of tots bots potion with them but this has almost ran out. I guess i can order more from the website but seems complicated way when we normally go to the supermarket
what can i use to wash them?
if it helps they are a combination of Charlie banana and smartipants

DrSeuss Mon 29-Dec-14 11:32:49

Fairy non bio. Feel free to message me with any questions. Spent around six years using cloth every day!

nevergooglebrandybutter Mon 29-Dec-14 12:46:28

fairy non bio powder here too.

dylsmimi Mon 29-Dec-14 14:15:38

ohh thank you - that will be cheaper! smile
we have that anyway as ds1 excema was really bad when we switched to the lovely smelling surf!
am i right in thinking i need half the amount?
what temp do you use and do you do a cold rinse first?
i want to be able to use them for nursery but really need to sort the washing bit out first otherwise we will come unstuck at the first hurdle and i am a bit nervous about asking nursery (although they are lovely - i just dont want to be that difficult parent!)

DrSeuss Mon 29-Dec-14 20:30:03

We use 60 degrees with a rinse cycle first if really bad but check your nappies. Some will only go up to 40 degrees. Don't listen to anyone who tells you to boil wash them. That will ruin most modern nappies/ wraps! Maybe a compromise such as we worked out with our CM. she used ordinary wet wipes with cloth. We used home made wipes cut from fleece fabric at home with just water. Just explain that there is really no difference. They change, wipe and bag the nappy up, they just don't throw it away. You must have at least two waterproof bags (eBay) for them to bag them.

dylsmimi Tue 30-Dec-14 11:07:14

thanks. i think the charlie bananas say 40 degrees so will add a rinse cycle
i got a couple of bags free when i ordered so i guess i will just have to try it with nursery - i am just scared i will come to pick ds2 up and his nappies and be told 'oh arent they to be thrown away!!' although i did go for bright colours so you shouldnt mistake them for pampers!
we use ordinary wet wipes anyway at home
i just feel i am constantly taking nappies into nursery!!!

Ditsy79 Tue 30-Dec-14 21:22:37

I was also worried about sending my daughter to nursery with cloth nappies - I asked the nursery about it and they said that although they had never had a baby in cloth they would go with what we wanted. I showed them the nappies when I took my little girl for settling in sessions, and explained how they work. Once they realised it didn't involve folding terry squares and securing them with big pins (!) they were very happy to use them. I have 3 wetbags, and send one in each day for the dirty nappies to go in. We also send washable wipes into nursery - in one of those clip-lock plastic containers. So far (nearly a year in) we haven't had any wipes or nappies go missing.
I use non-bio liquid to wash the nappies, bu only about 1/3 the usual amount. I also usually do a prewash to make sure the nappies get properly clean.

dylsmimi Thu 01-Jan-15 15:29:50

Thanks!
think i will give it a try. It won't be too long before potty training so may as well get the use of them! Nursery are very friendly and i had mentioned it when ds was in another room and they seemed ok but i never managed it due to circumstances at the time

NotCitrus Thu 01-Jan-15 15:32:55

I just used one cube of Lidl Formil Colour. Nursery double-bagged them in ordinary nappy sacks and chucked them back in the nappy bag.
Worked very well except the time they had a gormless temp who chucked out a nappy (obviously the only nappy I'd ever got brand new...)

BikeRunSki Thu 01-Jan-15 15:37:46

I used Asda Eco washing stuff because it smells lovely! I found doing a rinse in the machine before washing properly helped a lot too.

unlucky83 Thu 01-Jan-15 15:56:39

I used Ecover Non bio on mine ...and DDs in cloth from birth - terry squares with nappi nippers then used as prefolds in pouched wraps when on solids (as prefolds didn't work well for runny bf poo!).
DD1 was in FT nursery from 3 months....this is 14 yrs ago and the Nursery didn't have a problem...in fact they even rinsed off poo nappies for me! They have an incentive as they will have to pay for 'clinic waste disposal' for disposables...so cloth costs them nothing...
Anyway I would say that if you have a modern washing machine to get the A rating they use so little water none rinse well. Therefore use the aquaplus /extra water setting and/or give then an extra rinse at the end Even if you only use the minimum amount of powder (which is usually less than recommended on the packet) because it isn't just getting rid of the powder - it is also getting rid of the ammonia from the wee. If you start getting irritation increase with a pre or post rinse...

mswibble Thu 01-Jan-15 16:44:49

Has anyone tried soapnuts with reusable nappies? This maybe a step too far into utter hippydom but I've started using soapnuts on my normal laundry and am pretty happy with the results, especially as I have sensitive skin and though I love the smell of strongly fragrances laundry it doesn't always agree with my skin.
Not using nappies yet but am planning on a mix of terries and Tot Bots v4 when my PFB arrives in April. Just wondering if soapnuts would do a good enough job. I have just put a wash on - foundation smeared towelling dressing gown and manky face flannels - with soapnuts so I'm hoping it all comes out nice and white!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now